By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Skyward Sword is the best Zelda since Ocarina of TIme

Skyward Sword is the best since Ocarina of Time

Yes 103 71.03%

Si 39 26.90%

Total:142
VanceIX said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:

I think modern Action RPGs/JRPGS should have voice acting. FFXIII trilogy did this pretty well. I've seen many games miss this target. LoZ is one of the most notorious offenders. Lunar TSS started it imho on Sega CD and had awesome characters for its time like (FFIV which had ZERO voice acting) which was all the way back in 1993. I don't see how I can be transported into another world when I'm talking to myself through all the dialogue or are we supposed to make up 10's of different voices ourselves when we read all the dialogue? It's ridiculous imho. NES Zelda with the least amount of dialogue, (and tightest controls) is the best way to tell the story until they get voice actors, and quality one's at that but this is how Nintendo rolls...very slow to change. It's a majora problamo for me as a gamer to have no voice acting in 20XX.

We saw what happened when Nintendo tried to implement voice acting with Metroid Other M.

But we also saw what happened when Nintendo did impliment voice acting with Metroid Prime 3. Your argument is invalid. 

Around the Network
DevilRising said:
TP took everything OoT did, and did it bigger and better. So by default it the best 3D Zelda since OoT.

SS was a nice attempt at something different, almost ruined by a horribly stupid design decision to use tilting controls for things that SHOULD have obviously used the IR pointer instead.

Case closed.

They did everything bigger, no one ever said better. 

curl-6 said:
VanceIX said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:

I think modern Action RPGs/JRPGS should have voice acting. FFXIII trilogy did this pretty well. I've seen many games miss this target. LoZ is one of the most notorious offenders. Lunar TSS started it imho on Sega CD and had awesome characters for its time like (FFIV which had ZERO voice acting) which was all the way back in 1993. I don't see how I can be transported into another world when I'm talking to myself through all the dialogue or are we supposed to make up 10's of different voices ourselves when we read all the dialogue? It's ridiculous imho. NES Zelda with the least amount of dialogue, (and tightest controls) is the best way to tell the story until they get voice actors, and quality one's at that but this is how Nintendo rolls...very slow to change. It's a majora problamo for me as a gamer to have no voice acting in 20XX.

We saw what happened when Nintendo tried to implement voice acting with Metroid Other M.

This.

I don't want distracting voices breaking the mood.

To be honest, Metroid Prime 3 pulled it off well. 

Clyde32 said:
DevilRising said:
TP took everything OoT did, and did it bigger and better. So by default it the best 3D Zelda since OoT.

SS was a nice attempt at something different, almost ruined by a horribly stupid design decision to use tilting controls for things that SHOULD have obviously used the IR pointer instead.

Case closed.

The bosses are much better in TP in my opinion. 

The overworld is bigger and better. 

The design art is better. OoT is quite bland sometimes. 

The dungeons are about the same in terms of quality. Although one of my favorite dungeons in any Zelda game is the Shadow Temple. 

The combat system is bigger and better. 

More sidequests. 

TP has the better story. 

TP has by far the better sidekick. 

TP is longer. Although some could see this as needless filler sometimes. Especially the beginning of TP is too slow and a bit boring compared to OoT. 

etc.

Besides nostalgia, I can't see why anyone would prefer OoT over TP. It really depends on what game you played first to be honest. 

VanceIX said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:

Characters in Zelda should speak Hylian. Heck, if they just word-swapped about 1,000 commonly used words consistently and replaced the rest with gibberish it would sound like a real language being translated.

The thing with voice acting is that it really requires an adept line writer as much as voice actors. You can read poorly written lines and not notice how cheesy they are, but hearing them spoken makes it obvious.

Thing is, I want to hear the characters emote with more than a grunt. A good voice actor can do things with gibberish that you just can't do with text alone.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
curl-6 said:
VanceIX said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:

This.

I don't want distracting voices breaking the mood.

To be honest, Metroid Prime 3 pulled it off well. 

Metroid Prime 3 still didn't have that much. Just a few lines of dialogue here and there, since you were alone most of the game. With Zelda, you are constantly talking to townspeople or whatnot, and having all of them voice acted could turn out ugly since there's so many. Fans will be divided as hell over the VA, with some loving it and some despising it. Better to just keep it silent imo.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Samus Aran said:
Clyde32 said:
DevilRising said:

Case closed.

The dungeons are about the same in terms of quality. Although one of my favorite dungeons in any Zelda game is the Shadow Temple. 

More sidequests. 

TP has the better story. 

TP is longer. Although some could see this as needless filler sometimes. Especially the beginning of TP is too slow and a bit boring compared to OoT. 

etc.

Besides nostalgia, I can't see why anyone would prefer OoT over TP. It really depends on what game you played first to be honest. 

If I were an emotionless computer I would agree, but I don't think TP is as creative as Ocarina. And that's saying something, because Ocarina is actually pretty weak compared to ALTTP.

The problem is that TP feels more like an encore of Ocarina than it's own game, especially when compared with Wind Waker and Majora's Mask. Of course it's bigger and better, but there's really not that many new ideas to it.

i am pro- no voice acting

Samus Aran said:
Clyde32 said:
DevilRising said:

Case closed.

The bosses are much better in TP in my opinion. Nope. TP Bosses are easy as fuck even in your first try. Ocarina of Time has better even for today Zelda standars, like Phantom Ganon, Bongo Bongo and Twinrova. And we should not forget Ganondorf/Ganon final battle which dance above TP final battle.

The overworld is bigger and better. Bigger but not better. It's barren, linear. Unlike Hyrule Field from Ocarina of Time which actually looks like a real world and you are free to explore it once you step in it.

The design art is better. OoT is quite bland sometimes. TP is dark but more cartoony. Ocarina of Time reminds more the traditional Zelda artstyle from the 2D era.

The dungeons are about the same in terms of quality. Although one of my favorite dungeons in any Zelda game is the Shadow Temple.  TP dungeons are basically a mix from OoT and MM. Dungeons on OoT are better designed and more epic. TP dungeons are bigger but easy, linear and with zero surprises. A walk in the park.

The combat system is bigger and better. Maybe.

More sidequests. More useless sidequests.

TP has the better story. Hahaha no. Ocarina of Time is one of the centrals pieces of the storyline in the Zelda Universe. Origins of Ganandorf, pieces of triforced separated. Timeline split. TP, just another time Ganondorf was behind the Triforce. The Wind Waker has a better story. Zelda, well, way behind Tetra, SS Zelda, ST Zelda and Sheik.

TP has by far the better sidekick. Only the inicial Midna. The latter one is boring.

TP is longer. Although some could see this as needless filler sometimes. Especially the beginning of TP is too slow and a bit boring compared to OoT. The first half of TP is perfect. The second half is boring and tried to mimic Ocarina of Time, but failed. OoT is perfect from start to end.

etc.

Besides nostalgia, I can't see why anyone would prefer OoT over TP. It really depends on what game you played first to be honest. Nope. Many played OoT 3D later than TP and prefers OoT.

Nope.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Egann said:
Samus Aran said:
Clyde32 said:
DevilRising said:

Case closed.

More sidequests. 

TP has the better story. 

etc.

If I were an emotionless computer I would agree, but I don't think TP is as creative as Ocarina. And that's saying something, because Ocarina is actually pretty weak compared to ALTTP.

The problem is that TP feels more like an encore of Ocarina than it's own game, especially when compared with Wind Waker and Majora's Mask. Of course it's bigger and better, but there's really not that many new ideas to it.

I actually found the dark atmosphere very emotional, especially when you had to collect those tears in every area to purify it. And yes, I know many people hated that part of the game, but I loved it. Hearing the thoughts of the souls of the people was just very atmospheric.

But hey, I also think Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is the best Metroid. Perhaps I just like dark atmospheric games. :) 

Haven't played ALttP, but I will some day. Is it on the VC of the Wii U? I'm from Europe by the way. A Link between Worlds is one of my favorite Zelda games by the way, maybe even my favorite(together with TP).