By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo have never pushed their own systems the hardest

curl-6 said:
Nem said:

-.- It was on rails. There were a couple of levels where you could fly around a small area, but most of the game was on rails.

RE4 looked good, but i was never impressed by it like i was with Mario Sunshine. The water effects were the most amazing feature, but there were water physics, the splashing of flud, the lighting, the free-roaming areas that were alive. Even things like the Stars were always moving ans shining in the distance.

Have you played Rogue Squadron or just seen videos of it? It's not a rail shooter. Sure, there's a few contained segments of some levels that are, like the Death Star trench run, but for the majority of the game you're free to fly around large open areas.

I suppose what you are impressed by is up to you.

But speaking technically, even in terms of water, RE4 was no slouch; it too had dynamic water physics and refraction, and it could comfortably rival Sunshine's water. On the other hand, in terms of character models, animation, particles, lighting, Sunshine can't begin to compete with RE4.

I got Rogue squadron with my Gamecube when i first bought it. I will grant you that RE4 looked good though, i didnt question that. I just think that Mario sunshine was more impressive. Maybe the more colorful pallete on SMS helped aswell.

But in general your original point that nintendo doesnt push the hardware the most is correct. But there are exceptions.

Around the Network
Nem said:

I got Rogue squadron with my Gamecube when i first bought it. I will grant you that RE4 looked good though, i didnt question that. I just think that Mario sunshine was more impressive. Maybe the more colorful pallete on SMS helped aswell.

Which levels are on rails? There's the trench run and final level in the second game, the speeder bike sections and the Ocean Base Walker level in the third game, but pretty much every other level lets you fly/move around on your own instead of keeping you moving on rails.

errorpwns said:
Have you not played Mario 3d World for the Wii-U? If so have you given it an extensive play through?

Yes, and yes.

It's a gorgeous looking game.

But I'm not talking about what looks gorgeous, I'm talking about what's technically the most demanding.

I must say I'm surprised at the lack of love SNES-era Square is getting...
Sure, visually they weren't the most impressive, but their OST's at that time put all first-party efforts to shame...
I don't understand people who think SMW or ALttP have the best soundtracks of the generation knowing that they have to contend with games like Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and FFVI...
And then there's Super Mario RPG...

Have a nice day...

curl-6 said:
Samus Aran said:

I think Thousand Year Door looks better than Super Paper Mario. Very good looking game.

...what's that got to do with the thread topic? They're both first party.

That Thousand Year Door is a very good looking Gamecube game. It's one of the GC games I still think looks beautiful today(not everything of course, but for the most part) 

Around the Network
orniletter said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Kymmi1989 said:
I agree for the most part.. I see a lot of Rareware Entertainment in those lists... that company should have stayed with Nintendo... who knows where Nintendo would be.

This.

I dunno, their last Nintendo game, Starfox Adventures, already marked the beginning of their mediocrity streak that continues today. Nintendo were just fine without the likes of Perfect Dark Zero and Nuts 'n' Bolts.

That was Nintendo's fault, not Rare. Rare was working on a new IP and Miyamoto told them to reskin it with Star Fox. Look it up. That was ALL Nintendos fault.

And it was Nintendo´s idea to hand Donkey Kong over for DKC and morph whatever racing game they were working on into Diddy Kong Racing.

Star Fox Adventures turned out mediocre because it was incredibly rushed to be finished before the Microsoft buyout went down.

It wasn´t Nintendo´s fault.

Look it up.

I know all of that and the reason for the rush was all Nintendos fault. It was ALL their fault. Rare was working intently on the game and passed the Miyamoto looked at the game and just said reskin it. Thats all she wrote.  Rare is a very labor intensive company and their loss left a void in Nintendo offerings forever.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
orniletter said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Kymmi1989 said:
I agree for the most part.. I see a lot of Rareware Entertainment in those lists... that company should have stayed with Nintendo... who knows where Nintendo would be.

This.

I dunno, their last Nintendo game, Starfox Adventures, already marked the beginning of their mediocrity streak that continues today. Nintendo were just fine without the likes of Perfect Dark Zero and Nuts 'n' Bolts.

That was Nintendo's fault, not Rare. Rare was working on a new IP and Miyamoto told them to reskin it with Star Fox. Look it up. That was ALL Nintendos fault.

And it was Nintendo´s idea to hand Donkey Kong over for DKC and morph whatever racing game they were working on into Diddy Kong Racing.

Star Fox Adventures turned out mediocre because it was incredibly rushed to be finished before the Microsoft buyout went down.

Look it up.

I know all of that and the reason for the rush was all Nintendos fault. It was ALL their fault. Rare was working intently on the game and passed the Miyamoto looked at the game and just said reskin it. Thats all she wrote.  Rare is a very labor intensive company and their loss left a void in Nintendo offerings forever.

No, it absolutely wasn´t.

Every time Nintendo suggested to change something within Rare´s game, the results were good (as I said previously: Donkey Kong Country, Diddy Kong Racing). Launching a new IP in 2001 on the N64 would have resulted in a bloodbath.

Nintendo forced them to move the game to the GameCube and tie it to the Starfox IP.

The change in direction and platform delayed the game.

The mediocre quality was a result of the short development time (Levels and bosses were cut, like the battle against scales) and the game was stretched with filler stuff.

The game released September 23, 2002 in america, Rare was purchased in September 24, 2002 by Microsoft.

They shat the game out to be done with it, and putting the blame solely on Nintendo is wrong.

The N64 prototype to proove just how similar the games are : https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cOVBRJToVDY

orniletter said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
orniletter said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Kymmi1989 said:

This.

Look it up.

Every time Nintendo suggested to change something within Rare´s game, the results were good (as I said previously: Donkey Kong Country, Diddy Kong Racing). Launching a new IP in 2001 on the N64 would have resulted in a bloodbath.

Nintendo forced them to move the game to the GameCube and tie it to the Starfox IP.

The mediocre quality was a result of the short development time (Levels and bosses were cut, like the battle against scales) and the game was stretched with filler stuff.

The game released September 23, 2002 in america, Rare was purchased in September 24, 2002 by Microsoft.

They shat the game out to be done with it, and putting the blame solely on Nintendo is wrong.

The N64 prototype to proove just how similar the games are : https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cOVBRJToVDY

No. Miyamoto was lazy as hell and we wont see another Star Fox for a while because of it. Star Fox 64 will continue to be its legacy because Nintendo thinks poorly about games outside of Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Donkey Kong on rinse and repeat. The greatest Donkey Kong game was made by Rare. Goldeneye, Killer Instinect, Banjo & Kazooie, Conker  and more were made by Rare. After Rare left Nintendo a part of me left Nintendo. Nintendo will have great games, but without Rare titles even their Wii U wont hold a candle to the N64.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
orniletter said:

No. Miyamoto was lazy as hell and we wont see another Star Fox for a while because of it. Star Fox 64 will continue to be its legacy because Nintendo thinks poorly about games outside of Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Donkey Kong on rinse and repeat. The greatest Donkey Kong game was made by Rare. Goldeneye, Killer Instinect, Banjo & Kazooie, Conker  and more were made by Rare. After Rare left Nintendo a part of me left Nintendo. Nintendo will have great games, but without Rare titles even their Wii U wont hold a candle to the N64.

....I don´t know how this is in any way or form relevant to the question of who is to blame for the outcome of Star Fox Adventures.

i agree with Orni here. StarfoxAdv. was rushed, they were being bought BytheloveofGod!!

Nintendo only changed the theme. everythingelse was RARes decision