By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo have never pushed their own systems the hardest

i would probably argue that need for speed most wanted pushes the Wiiu more than trine 2 does.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
curl-6 said:

- Mario Galaxy and Prime 3 are indeed technically strong titles that easily make the top 10 in terms of pushing Wii. It's just that the Conduit games and Jet Rocket use more processor-intensive tricks.

Wasn't Metroid 60fps though? I think Conduit was 30fps which is probably how they managed to push the effects that they did.

Prime 3 was 60fps while Conduit was 30fps, yes.

On the other hand though, the stuff Conduit was pulling off; -normal mapping, depth of field, interactive water- challenged the system a lot more.

Prime 3 stuck to the Wii's strengths, but Conduit pushed it to do things it wasn't made to do.

RE4 later run on the PS2 which is known by being weaker than GC. I do not agree that they push their consoles to the extreme, or if the extreme is just looking flat in comparison with other consoles then I don't know. Graphics were never Nintendo's strong, maybe in their first 2 consoles, but not later.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
fluky-nintendy said:
RE4 later run on the PS2 which is known by being weaker than GC. I do not agree that they push their consoles to the extreme, or if the extreme is just looking flat in comparison with other consoles then I don't know. Graphics were never Nintendo's strong, maybe in their first 2 consoles, but not later.

RE4 had to be downgraded to run on PS2; lower polygon count, lower resolution textures, reduced lighting, simplified water effects. And it doesn't push GC as hard as the Rogue Squadron games.

And Nintendo's 3rd and 4th consoles, N64 and  Gamecube, were more graphically competitive than their first, the NES.

curl-6 said:
Nem said:
Erm... Super Mario sunshine for the GC was a graphical beast. Those water effects were amazing.

It's not as advanced as RE4 or Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 though.

I had all of them and i respectifully disagree. SMS was also a free roaming game. RS was an on rails shooter and RE4 was not as impressive  as you make it sound.

Around the Network

Sega pushed the PS1 further than Sony. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoYyztfOc-0
Pushed it right out of the window.

Well, technically it dropped the PS1 out of the window.

Nem said:
curl-6 said:
Nem said:
Erm... Super Mario sunshine for the GC was a graphical beast. Those water effects were amazing.

It's not as advanced as RE4 or Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 though.

I had all of them and i respectifully disagree. SMS was also a free roaming game. RS was an on rails shooter and RE4 was not as impressive  as you make it sound.

Sunshine did indeed have fantastic water effects, but the rest of it was nothing mind-blowing.

And RS was not on rails, you could fly freely around large open areas.

As for RE4, its environmental detail, character models, animation, and lighting all ranked among the most advanced on GC. Compare it to Sunshine; realistic character models have far more animation bones that a simple character like Mario, and Sunshine had pretty much no realtime dynamic lighting at all.

Have you not played Mario 3d World for the Wii-U? If so have you given it an extensive play through?

curl-6 said:
Nem said:

Sunshine did indeed have fantastic water effects, but the rest of it was nothing mind-blowing.

As for RE4, its environmental detail, character models, animation, and lighting all ranked among the most advanced on GC. Compare it to Sunshine; realistic character models have far more animation bones that a simple character like Mario, and Sunshine had pretty much no realtime dynamic lighting at all.

-.- It was on rails. There were a couple of levels where you could fly around a small area, but most of the game was on rails.

RE4 looked good, but i was never impressed by it like i was with Mario Sunshine. The water effects were the most amazing feature, but there were water physics, the splashing of flud, the lighting, the free-roaming areas that were alive. Even things like the Stars were always moving ans shining in the distance.

Nem said:
curl-6 said:
Nem said:

-.- It was on rails. There were a couple of levels where you could fly around a small area, but most of the game was on rails.

RE4 looked good, but i was never impressed by it like i was with Mario Sunshine. The water effects were the most amazing feature, but there were water physics, the splashing of flud, the lighting, the free-roaming areas that were alive. Even things like the Stars were always moving ans shining in the distance.

Have you played Rogue Squadron or just seen videos of it? It's not a rail shooter. Sure, there's a few contained segments of some levels that are, like the Death Star trench run, but for the majority of the game you're free to fly around large open areas.

I suppose what you are impressed by is up to you.

But speaking technically, even in terms of water, RE4 was no slouch; it too had dynamic water physics and refraction, and it could comfortably rival Sunshine's water. On the other hand, in terms of character models, animation, particles, lighting, Sunshine can't begin to compete with RE4.