By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - This weeks numbers

Nobody want to talk about PS3 beats the XBOX360 in the US? That is also a very unexpected outcome. OK, it may be the other way after adjustments, PS3 is only 1K in front, but last week the XBOX360 was more than 10K in lead.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

no its true, the fad is finally dying

it has his run..

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Yeah how many times is this going to be covered? Until next weeks sales come in?

My best possible guess is that shipments come in at irregular intervals, and last week it just so happened that they got two in the same week (thus the 200k sales), but this week they didn't manage to get any in, or only a small amount. We'll probably see the sales bounce all the time simply because there might not be a continuous stream of supply in every week.

At the same time, they are stockpiling, but this bouncing has nothing to do with that. They probably take 200k a month from what they produce and stockpile it... over 9 or 10 months, that equals nearly 2 million for holidays, though they might release as much as 500k of that for new releases. To say they aren't stockpiling is nonsense... every company out there stockpiles, and just because there are mass sellouts doesn't mean they don't do it too.

Hopefully Nintendo will increase production to at least 2.5 million so that the shortage won't be as bad and supply will be more constant.

ouch! I hope they are stocking up for Brawl.

stockpiling is the dumbest theory out there. why would they stockpile? why does nintendo care if they sell the console today rather then in 2 weeks when Brawl comes out? maybe they want a really big number that one week so they can brag on vgchartz??? A console sold is a console sold. They sell out as soon as they come in - so IT MAKES NO SENSE to hold them back.

More likely then stockpiling is that Nintendo is having some probelms making the damn things.

Around the Network

Well stockpiling is good so that people don't get frustated if they can't find a Wii when the demand is unsually high. So, if Nintendo is expecting a even higher demand when SSBB comes out, then Nintendo would prefer pleasing more people at that time. It's mainly a PR tool.

"¿Por qué justo a mí tenía que tocarme ser yo?"

The PS3 increase is probably due to HD-DVD dying. There are quite a few people who were on the fence, waiting to see which HD format was going to win, and now they're buying their PS3s. Probably not a lasting boost of any great significance, but who knows?

The drastic drop in Wii sales is undoubtedly due to Nintendo diverting stock somewhere else, but I really can't understand where. Brawl just hit Japan a few weeks ago, and the next big thing is the same game arriving to the US. It's still quite a few weeks away, and sales shouldn't have slumped anywhere near this much.

i think there waiting for the brawl release

dgm6780 said:
stockpiling is the dumbest theory out there. why would they stockpile? why does nintendo care if they sell the console today rather then in 2 weeks when Brawl comes out? maybe they want a really big number that one week so they can brag on vgchartz??? A console sold is a console sold. They sell out as soon as they come in - so IT MAKES NO SENSE to hold them back.

More likely then stockpiling is that Nintendo is having some probelms making the damn things.

Stockpiling isn't completely useless. If people buy a console in the week of a big release, they most likely will buy that game too. If the people waiting for Brawl can't get a Wii, they will buy nothing of the two. So selling a Wii this week means revenue for Nintendo for the Wii, but selling it in the week of SSBB means revenue for the Wii AND SSBB.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Parokki said:
The PS3 increase is probably due to HD-DVD dying. There are quite a few people who were on the fence, waiting to see which HD format was going to win, and now they're buying their PS3s. Probably not a lasting boost of any great significance, but who knows?

That is a good theory for increased PS3-sales. Thank you, for this idea.