By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dark Souls II official thread of telling us your journey through Drangleic

I'l still at the beginning I guess - under level 40. I don't like the disappearing monsters thing because I lost a couple of tens of thousand of souls (because one can't just spend them at any bonfire, so one tends to cary them around) and many I wasn't able to get back.
Hurra for throwing knives even though they are very expensive (I did not user them in the other games).
Covenants are still confusing and one doesn't know what they are and what happens if you join one or the other.
A couple of phantoms helped me with the old dragonslayer last night, so that works.

Around the Network
Wright said:
SvennoJ said:
First I ended up at Drangleic castle but I see no way in. Enemies keep spawning indefinitely it seems. They come out of a side door on the left that looks like a dead end with no way in. The big doors in the middle stay closed. The left statue lit up briefly at one point, but nothing else happened. I killed 7 or 8 waves of enemies until I ran out of spells and left. No clue.

Infinite amount of enemies spawn because you need to kill them near those statues. Once you kill an enemy, the soul, instead of you getting it, will get inside one of those statues which will turn a contraption, and the door will open.

You managed to light one of those statues. You need to go back and light the other one. Just kill enemies being very close to the statue and you're done.

Ah thanks. Makes sense when you say it, not while rolling around and getting anough range to fire off a spell :)
I thought I needed another primal soul or something.

ithis said:
I'l still at the beginning I guess - under level 40. I don't like the disappearing monsters thing because I lost a couple of tens of thousand of souls (because one can't just spend them at any bonfire, so one tends to cary them around) and many I wasn't able to get back.
Hurra for throwing knives even though they are very expensive (I did not user them in the other games).
Covenants are still confusing and one doesn't know what they are and what happens if you join one or the other.
A couple of phantoms helped me with the old dragonslayer last night, so that works.

You can wrap to majula and use them to level up. Anyways most of your soul usage and upgrades will come after you kill a boss and from popping soul items. 

ithis said:

It proved useful to me in the beginning as I got stuck in the valley of the giants, climbing the first ladder and getting jumped by 3 with an archer taking shots from above didn't end well with my lvl 11 caster at 50% max health. I was glad when they stopped spawning when trying to get further.

Covenents are not explained again sigh. Just stick with the way of the blue for now (monument in Majula), don't enter the champions covenent as that makes everything a lot more difficult.

Once you get the white sign soapstone you can always help others to get some souls at no risk. It's a lot faster and if you're succesful you either get all spell uses restored or even your humanity back. (Sometimes I've gotten humanity too without being succesful) They might show you a few things you've missed too. (Like a door I had forgotten about with a wole extra section)

Soriku said:
Kane1389 said:

So Doors of Pharros is a joke area right?

First of, there are millions of Pharros's contraception doors, and I have no idea which ones to activate nor what the hell they do actually, They dont give you any good items, thats for sure. The boss is ridiculously difficult, I wont even attempt to take him without help, and the water area is terrible for traversal, you're slow as fuck.

But the worst part are these bizarre forced invasions. I am being put into a host's world, without even wanting to invade anyone, the game just automatically invades for me. And when I get there, the NPC enemies attack me and completely ignore the host !!!! I know there is a certain item that makes NPCs attack the invader, but I didnt know it also makes the enemies ignore the host. That just seems completely game breaking for me.

Fuck this area.

Most of the Pharros locks are useless except if you're in the Rat Covenant. There are three that open up a metal door (two on the sides, one below it in the water) that let you open a chest, but otherwise just ignore them.

I only got summoned like two or three times, but at least there are no repercussions when you die. You can always just go offline if you don't want to be summoned.

Also I heard you can't summon help for the boss of the area, but don't quote me on that. You just have to get lucky and somehow kill the small rats first. At least the bonfire is right next to the boss.

areason said:
Currently stuck on the smelter demon and in the iron Keep. Their are so many areas i can enter but the fire can kill me such as a building. I'm so confused right now, how is the smelter demon optional if i have no way of getting past him. Also he is impossible 1vs1 as a melee.

You don't have to fight him. There's a path leading up past him. If you don't mind summoning someone, summon at least one person in the Sun covenant (orange sign) since their lightning spear makes short work of him.

JGarret said:
So, guys, I think some of you should be able to answer this question by now...what´s the best Souls game?

Dark Souls 1 is probably the best. I like the world and area progression more, plus I think although Dark Souls 2 generally looks better than 1, Dark Souls 1 handles darker areas better (many passageways in 2 are gray and bland). Also Dark Souls 1 has the better NPCs. In terms of combat the games are pretty much even.

Dark Souls 2 is still a good game though, of course. I'm not sure how I'd rank it up to Demon's Souls 1. Maybe about the same. I don't think the quality between the games varies too much.

I was checking out the official thread on GAF.I saw you also post there.Of course, I didn´t read those ~200 pages, but based on the little I saw, it looks like there are a fair number of people who also agree DS 1 is better.

Also, there´s the DS 2 downgrade debacle.The latest info there is that, the PC version will be heavily downgraded too 0_0

I understand people being up in arms about the PC version.What´s your take on all that?

Around the Network
Soriku said:
JGarret said:

I was checking out the official thread on GAF.I saw you also post there.Of course, I didn´t read those ~200 pages, but based on the little I saw, it looks like there are a fair number of people who also agree DS 1 is better.

Also, there´s the DS 2 downgrade debacle.The latest info there is that, the PC version will be heavily downgraded too 0_0

I understand people being up in arms about the PC version.What´s your take on all that?

There are people who consider it better than 1 and there are people who think 2 is better. Both are good games, really.

As for the downgrade, I don't care about the PC version so that doesn't really bother me. But it's disappointing they downgraded the lighting because it used to look really good.

That area doesn't look like that anymore.

I think the likely assumption is that they couldn't get the game to run with the lighting on consoles, but going from what people have been saying on GAF, they could've still made it look a lot better than the game does now (which still looks good, but...). Who knows if they just ran out of time, money, or they just weren't competent enough.

Ultimately the game is still fun to play.

It looks like it´s more than just the lighting, isn´t it?...I haven´t played the game, but that thread on GAF has some pics with terrible textures even going by PS3 standards.

JGarret said:

It looks like it´s more than just the lighting, isn´t it?...I haven´t played the game, but that thread on GAF has some pics with terrible textures even going by PS3 standards.

Trust me on this one. Even downgraded, the game is gorgeous to look at...and there's not a single framerrate issue. I take solid, steady fps over impressive lightning anyday.

sure, the textures and lighting might not match up to the demo, but I'm too busy getting my ass handed to me in too many awesome ways for me to really complain

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Wright said:
JGarret said:

Trust me on this one. Even downgraded, the game is gorgeous to look at...and there's not a single framerrate issue. I take solid, steady fps over impressive lightning anyday.

The framerate is far from solid. At least not on ps3. No screen tearing luckily but the locked vsync does make it run at 20fps a lot of the time. The game is still nice to look at, architecturally anyway, but in places it looks really bland too. A souls game on ps4, with the lighting of Metro last light, MADDER sound design from KZ:SF, and the spell effects of Infamous SS, that would be too much to handle :)

I think I screwed up in shaded ruins. I jumped off the bridge at the bonfire to another bridge. Unfroze an enemy and came out of a tunnel a little later approaching some scorpion looking thing in the distance. I blast it by blind aiming heavy great soul arrows at it. When I get there, there are messages on the ground warning it's an ally, ugh. Damn resolution, no way to tell from a safe distance. It dropped a ring, second dragon crest ring or something.

So I got back to the bonfire to confirm, if it's not coming back then I probably screwed up. On the way back I get invaded while hollow, why... I go to the bonfire, but it's locked. Oh well just let whoever it is kill me, fastest way to continue. I was at lowest max health anyway from the curse urns. I make the no gesture, not interested, he starts punching me. Suit yourself, I jump out the window, reset. I get back, whatever it was is gone. Dunno who I killed or what I messed up sigh.

I get on to the boss. I die on the first attempt, I'm no good switching equipment on the fly, pause would help. That's just the nature of the game, die, equip the right stuff, succeed. I summon a phantom the 2nd time anyway, don't want to risk losing my souls that are lying in a bad spot. That's where the risk of losing progress is actually working directly against what the game is trying to achieve. It would be more fun to try by myself a couple of times, but when it comes to losing progress I rather play it safe.

I saved at the first bonfire in doors of pharros after trading with Gavlan, yay. I had lots of doubles to sell, and also got rid of pvp orbs. I guess I should spend the souls first before continueing, this game needs a bank! I'll make a lightning long sword +6, switch it up with my fire long sword.

Beaten the game at about level 130 something and 46 hours of playing. Always impressed just how addicting these titles really are. Now I'm letting my roommate play and whenever I play I just head to some of the later bosses and put down my summon sign. I really enjoy trying to tank some of the later bosses when I'm joined by magic users. Overall I had a blast, but I think the aiming with magic could use a look from the developers.