By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dark Souls II official thread of telling us your journey through Drangleic

SvennoJ said:
areason said:

I just beat the Gargoyles+ the Sinners rise boss. Used a branch in the lost bastille and i found a merchant that lets you trade boss souls for items(He also sells special spells). Got myself 3 nice weapons but i won't be using them yet, they have low bases but they scale so well with upgrades and i don't have enough dragon bones. 

As far as i know Earthen Peak has two bosses, i beat the first one and i'm omw to the second but casters are annoying after you run out of arrows. I would use the bonefire aesthetic in the tower of heide since it is by ar the funest area to me. You can buy one from the titanite merchant in the harvest valley. 

Yeah I found that merchant too. He had two spells for trade, the weapons are all useless to me. My str and dex are 15.
What are dragon bones for?

You're right the other boss was in Earthen peak too, not harvest valley. That was no contest, the arena was a bit small but the thing is so slow I had plenty of time to run turn cast, repeat. The casters later on are easy too as a caster, with a bit of blind targeting they never even fire off a shot. The dual wielding fast moving enemies were my undoing.  Tip for the 2nd boss: The fight is a lot easier if you turn off the poison factory first, but setting the large axle on fire with a torch, just outside of the upper bonfire.

Heide was indeed fun, but no real useful resources there. The bastille is still my favorite from the game so far.

You mean the 2nd bonfire? Or are they three in the whole area. 

Around the Network
areason said:
SvennoJ said:
areason said:

I just beat the Gargoyles+ the Sinners rise boss. Used a branch in the lost bastille and i found a merchant that lets you trade boss souls for items(He also sells special spells). Got myself 3 nice weapons but i won't be using them yet, they have low bases but they scale so well with upgrades and i don't have enough dragon bones. 

As far as i know Earthen Peak has two bosses, i beat the first one and i'm omw to the second but casters are annoying after you run out of arrows. I would use the bonefire aesthetic in the tower of heide since it is by ar the funest area to me. You can buy one from the titanite merchant in the harvest valley. 

Yeah I found that merchant too. He had two spells for trade, the weapons are all useless to me. My str and dex are 15.
What are dragon bones for?

You're right the other boss was in Earthen peak too, not harvest valley. That was no contest, the arena was a bit small but the thing is so slow I had plenty of time to run turn cast, repeat. The casters later on are easy too as a caster, with a bit of blind targeting they never even fire off a shot. The dual wielding fast moving enemies were my undoing.  Tip for the 2nd boss: The fight is a lot easier if you turn off the poison factory first, but setting the large axle on fire with a torch, just outside of the upper bonfire.

Heide was indeed fun, but no real useful resources there. The bastille is still my favorite from the game so far.

You mean the 2nd bonfire? Or are they three in the whole area. 

Yeah the 2nd, it's called central earthen peak. I only found 2 bonfires there. Called lower and central. Where you can reach the huge spinning windmill sails just outside.

I had to use a guide today. I hate using guides. Makes me feel stupid, and a cheater.

The worst part is that I had the answer in front of my face.

I didn't know what to do after grabbing the four Great Souls of the bosses before the Primal Bonfires. Turned out that I had to take them to a place I had never ever visited before, and it is not even well-hidden. I went to every single area of the game up to that point twice, and then I gave up. I read that on a wiki and I'm like "What? Turning left in this place?", and for the very first time of my life I discover that narrow (it isn't even hidden or something!) small path to the left up to certain place. A gigantic door opens once you have the four souls.

It might not be a big thing, but this has certainly damaged my enjoyement. If it wasn't because I read it, I wouldn't have been able to progress.

Sometimes guides are necessary unfortunately. In Dark souls I had missed the door to the depths, couldn't find it anywhere and was stuck in the under garden. No clue where the 2nd bell could be.

Dark souls 2, couldn't find a way to activate the mechanism to huntsman's copse. Had to keep talking to the priest lady in heide's tower first until she decides to move. Not something you think about when you've met that person 10 hours ago.

I had a close call in Iron keep, almost lost 140k souls. I tried to get to a chest at the end of a lava path. I figured with flash sweat, fire ring, hex armor and radiant gem replenishing while I run, I might make it. Made it to the chest but died during the opening animation. The game screwed me by putting the soul retrieval in front of the chest. (chest was closed again) I got my souls but died on the way back, retrieval icon stayed in front of the chest.
So I try jumping off the walkway above with the silvercat ring to have some more time. Got the souls but still died a little further on the way to the stairs, soul retrieval still didn't move. Tried opening the chest with the jump and replenishing life going (might as well try to find out what's in it) but still die before the animation is done and chest is closed again on reload.
Then I figured I'll use my soul protection ring (only costs 6k to repair anyway) grab the souls, die and keep the souls. That worked. No clue how to get the chest though.

I used the souls to try out some new upgrades, Mc Duffin black smith has unlimited large shards for sale after I brought him a dull ember from Iron keep. Tried some magic weapons, ran out of the small titanite again lol. My old fire sword +6 still seems best for now. I did swap out my old sorcerer's staff for the archdrake staff +6 (better dark magic) I do have an even more promising sunset staff, but that needs twinkling titanite.

Iron keep is a great level so far, great place to explore. New spells :) Lots of stuff to find. Beware of the traps though.

areason said:
lestatdark said:
Soriku said:
lestatdark said:

Allone Captain Gloves and Leggings +10, Gyrm Warrior Armor +10 and Venglar Helm +5. I have Havel Set which will in theory put me near the 1250 Def threshold, but it needs a ton of twinking titanite. For now I'm using Havel Greatshield +5.

It's making a ton of difference, especially on PVP. Anything that doesn't have Bleed or Poison barely dents me. On PvE, other than windup attacks, nothing takes more than 30% HP, even the enemies on Dragon Shrine.

I remember back in the first DS, on my first playthrough I ended up at 110 and found no one to PVP . There's tons of chances now, even on first playthrough at 141.

@areason - Ups, totally forgot about Frampt .

Do you know how much you weigh with all that? I just found Havel's armor and it's way too heavy. With 21 Vitality and my weapons my weight percentage is over 90. Trying to keep any armor I weigh below 70%.

I think it's about 85 or so, but with Third Dragon Ring and Soldier Ring +1 (the one that increases your load), i'm at the 65% threshold. 

I'm using a Lightning Drangleic Sword +5 as my main weapon for now, but once I've got enough Petrified Dragon Bones, I'm gonna switch to the King's Ultra Greatsword (after elementalizing it to Lightning), so I might drop a few weight on the armor department.

Why are you preffering lightning? You on NG+?

It's an old Dark Souls habit mostly. Also, most PvE enemies are susceptible to Lightning as well, not to mention it's a good PvP elemental attribute (especially if you STR/FTH your build).

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

So Doors of Pharros is a joke area right?

First of, there are millions of Pharros's contraception doors, and I have no idea which ones to activate nor what the hell they do actually, They dont give you any good items, thats for sure. The boss is ridiculously difficult, I wont even attempt to take him without help, and the water area is terrible for traversal, you're slow as fuck.

But the worst part are these bizarre forced invasions. I am being put into a host's world, without even wanting to invade anyone, the game just automatically invades for me. And when I get there, the NPC enemies attack me and completely ignore the host !!!! I know there is a certain item that makes NPCs attack the invader, but I didnt know it also makes the enemies ignore the host. That just seems completely game breaking for me.

Fuck this area.

Kane1389 said:

First of, there are millions of Pharros's contraception doors, and I have no idea which ones to activate nor what the hell they do actually, They dont give you any good items, thats for sure. The boss is ridiculously difficult, I wont even attempt to take him without help, and the water area is terrible for traversal, you're slow as fuck.

But the worst part are these bizarre forced invasions. I am being put into a host's world, without even wanting to invade anyone, the game just automatically invades for me. And when I get there, the NPC enemies attack me and completely ignore the host !!!! I know there is a certain item that makes NPCs attack the invader, but I didnt know it also makes the enemies ignore the host. That just seems completely game breaking for me.

Fuck this area.

You are the invasor in Door of Pharros. It has something to do with a Covenant. You step a foot inside it, all protectors of Pharros are going to go against you. It's like Belfry Luna.

And, if you join that Covenant, you can wait in Door of Pharros without the enemies attacking you and for each victim you kill, you gain a Pharros Lockstone. That's the purpose

lestatdark said:

Where have you been? You would have come in handy two days ago in Skype

Wright said:
Kane1389 said:

Fuck this area.

You are the invasor in Door of Pharros. It has something to do with a Covenant. You step a foot inside it, all protectors of Pharros are going to go against you. It's like Belfry Luna.

And, if you join that Covenant, you can wait in Door of Pharros without the enemies attacking you and for each victim you kill, you gain a Pharros Lockstone. That's the purpose

I hate forced pvp, not interested. But you can always play the area off-line, excpet with that hard a boss it's probably not an option to go alone. At least you can clear the area off-line with the 10 spawn limit.

My first encounter was the belfry in bastille, luckily just a small zone and the off-line invader is as dumb as other enemies, easy to run up and ring the bell avoiding them. Then become human and summon someone right before the door.

Second time I got summoned as a grey phantom in grave of the saints. I signed out of psn again, if not for the useless pvp interruption, the load times are equal as annoying. The royal rat vanguard was 'interesting' alone as a caster, 15-20 minute fight of survival.

Now I found the entrance to belfry sol? in Iron keep. Guess I'll take a peak later off-line. It really would be nicer games if I could turn pvp off. It's just annoying when I'm in the middle of a fight and an invader shows up because I forgot I was still human after doing co-op. They always run behind enemies that don't react to them. I just jump off a ledge, solves the human part and leaves my souls in a easy to retrieve spot. Plus matchmaking is still a joke, invaders show up with spells I have no access to for a long time.

Love the game, but the expanded forced pvp parts are a downside.

So, guys, I think some of you should be able to answer this question by now...what´s the best Souls game?