By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EDGE gives Yoshi's New Island 4/10 [62 on Metacritic]

I wasn't expecting some egg-celent reviews, but I wasn't expecting this mediocre score either. Sure, the art style looked weird ever since the first trailer came out and the level design didn't look like anything special, but I wasn't egg-specting less than 70. Oh well.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

Ouch, right in the childhood...

VGChartz

3DS doomed confirmed

Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird. 

Mr Khan said:
Squeezol said:
Graphics always looked terrible to me.. Also, the Metascore isn't horrible for Yoshi. I mean, Yoshi's Story doesn't have a great score either.

Yeah, the Yoshi games have never been critical darlings. Even "Island" was disliked in its day.

Really?  I remember a magazine back then (Gamefan, I think) giving Yoshi's Island game of the year despite all of the hype around the newly released Playstation and Saturn.

I never listen to reviews, I'd rather play it first. Looks fun, haven't played a Yoshi game in a long time. Will get it down the road.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network
AZWification said:

I wasn't expecting some egg-celent reviews, but I wasn't expecting this mediocre score either. Sure, the art style looked weird ever since the first trailer came out and the level design didn't look like anything special, but I wasn't egg-specting less than 70. Oh well.

Not only once, but twice, and in the same post. No dessert for you young man.

OT: Not surprised by the average reviews. Nothing I've seen has screamed 'Masterpiece' to me. I'm still going to get it, it's just not top-priority.

Surprised the cop-out story wasn't mentioned. Sure, when Mario goes on another adventure, it's always that Bowser tried another kidnapping, but we don't expect the main Mario games to have any other story. The original Yoshi's Island actually had a story. This time around they ruined that story by basically acknowledging that it happened, then retconning it. Yep, that's right, the stork tried to deliver Mario and Luigi, was stopped by Kamek, then helped by Yoshi, but oh! Here's the twist! It wasn't the right parents! So now the stork has to do it again, only to be stopped by Kamek again and helped by Yoshi again! All they had to do was just retell the original story, not try to make Yoshi's New Island a forced sequel to the original. Then on top of that there actually is a NEW island, and intead of being Yoshi's Island it's some floating egg suspended in the air.

This game started out sounding really good, but as new things are revealed I get less and less excited, and seeing bad reviews doesn't surprise me at all, just confirms my fears. I might still get the game, but it's very far down on my list of games to buy now. Such a shame, really. The original was a masterpiece, the DS version improved on it, and now this thing comes along and tarnishes Yoshi's good reputation. I just hope this doesn't make Nintendo reconsider Yarn Yoshi. It's obviously having trouble in development, if Yoshi starts looking like a not very profitable franchise, they might just scrap it.

forest-spirit said:
AZWification said:

Not only once, but twice, and in the same post. No dessert for you young man.

OT: Not surprised by the average reviews. Nothing I've seen has screamed 'Masterpiece' to me. I'm still going to get it, it's just not top-priority.

Oh man.. I thought you were a good egg. :(

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Finally a game that makes Yoshi's Island DS look good.

Nintendolife gave it a 5/10... Yea wasn't excited b4 and not excited now either

I just hope this means that 2014 won't be the year of yoshi and instead be something better

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850