By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Many Critical Hits (75+ Metascore) will the Wii U have in 2014?

Tagged games:

How many 75+ Games in 2014?

1 to 10 41 23.98%

11 to 20 43 25.15%

21 to 30 37 21.64%

31 to 40 10 5.85%

41 to 50 3 1.75%

50 or higher 12 7.02%

See Results 25 14.62%

Total:171
Samus Aran said:
DerNebel said:

I really don't give a crap what people include in these lists, everyone sets the criteria in a way to make the console they want to look best look as good as possible anyway, at the end of the day it's utterly irrelevant, nobody is going to go on metacritic and base his/her console decision on a highscore comparison like that.

But there are loads of people on the internet that use metacritic as an argument as to why their console is factually better than the other.

And then they come with a list of games that consists out of mostly indie games that any old PC could play... 

My list only includes new games or relevant remakes. What's a relevant remake you ask? For example, the remake of the original Resident Evil that the PS4 will get next year... Or Metroid: Zero mission. 

Alright...? Honestly you're just proving the point I was making, people set all these different arbritrary criteria for their lists, so the result looks like they want it to look.

What makes a game or remake relevant? There is absolutely no universally right answer for that, every game can be relevant to a certain person.

For example most of the metacritic lists compare exclusives, but let's assume that someone that owns no gaming device at all uses a comparison like that for his console decision between e.g a PS4 or a Wii U. How is that not completely misleading and worthless?

People can make these lists as much as they want, that doesn't change that they really matter extremely little.

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
Samus Aran said:
DerNebel said:

I really don't give a crap what people include in these lists, everyone sets the criteria in a way to make the console they want to look best look as good as possible anyway, at the end of the day it's utterly irrelevant, nobody is going to go on metacritic and base his/her console decision on a highscore comparison like that.

But there are loads of people on the internet that use metacritic as an argument as to why their console is factually better than the other.

And then they come with a list of games that consists out of mostly indie games that any old PC could play... 

My list only includes new games or relevant remakes. What's a relevant remake you ask? For example, the remake of the original Resident Evil that the PS4 will get next year... Or Metroid: Zero mission. 

Alright...? Honestly you're just proving the point I was making, people set all these different arbritrary criteria for their lists, so the result looks like they want it to look.

What makes a game or remake relevant? There is absolutely no universally right answer for that, every game can be relevant to a certain person.

For example most of the metacritic lists compare exclusives, but let's assume that someone that owns no gaming device at all uses a comparison like that for his console decision between e.g a PS4 or a Wii U. How is that not completely misleading and worthless?

People can make these lists as much as they want, that doesn't change that they really matter extremely little.

if you are comparing two consoles such as wii u and ps4, you have to compare all games that are on one that are not on the other. if youre compairng three consoles such as wii u, ps4, and x1, you have to compare true exclusives. games that are on one that are not on the other two. those are fair comparisons.

RubberWhistleHistle said:
DerNebel said:

why are you getting so angry? posts that i have already made disproves your little theory that people just want to set up their criteria to make their console look as good as possible. i just told you that i wouldnt count rereleases of super metroid, alttp, etc. which would make my favorite console look better. i told you i wouldnt even count wind waker which is a remake of a ten year old game. so clearly, you are wrong about how people set up this criteria. i want to set the criteria in a way that shows which console has the best games. 

So you want to set up the criteria in a way that shows that which is impossible to show, great. Also I'm not getting angry and you not wanting to include these things does not disprove that tons of people do include and exclude certain games to make the list look more like they want it to look.

DerNebel said:
DerNebel said:

why are you getting so angry? posts that i have already made disproves your little theory that people just want to set up their criteria to make their console look as good as possible. i just told you that i wouldnt count rereleases of super metroid, alttp, etc. which would make my favorite console look better. i told you i wouldnt even count wind waker which is a remake of a ten year old game. so clearly, you are wrong about how people set up this criteria. i want to set the criteria in a way that shows which console has the best games. 

So you want to set up the criteria in a way that shows that which is impossible to show, great. Also I'm not getting angry and you not wanting to include these things does not disprove that tons of people do include and exclude certain games to make the list look more like they want it to look.

i think excluding remakes or ports is a very fair stipulation, i dont see what your problem is with that. it doesnt favor any one console over another. 

DerNebel said:
Samus Aran said:
DerNebel said:

I would always include third party games, even if the Wii U has none (that are any good). And most people's lists include third parties, at least from what I've seen. 

What makes a remake relevant? When it improves considerably upon the original... Not just slightly better graphics. Doesn't count in my book. Never said my opinion was universal either. 

The original Metroid is barely playable these days for example. Then came the remake... Metroid: Zero Mission. And it rocks! 

Around the Network

@ Samus Aran

You aren't going to change anyone's opinion on the whole port/remake trend that is currently plaguing this generation. The statements made by you and Rubberwhistle are absolutely correct. There was an absolute drought of quality software on both the Ps4 and Xone most of this year...with some good new games finally hitting this holiday. People needed something to play on their new systems and easy way for publishers to make a quick buck was to port games. At least with GTA V and the MCC collection they added content, new assets and the such. But games like Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, and the Last of Us were pretty much straight ports with the resolution bumped up. I also agree with these 8-bit indie games being compared with full releases is absurd. Games like Outlast, Resogun, and Child of Light are fantastic and deserve the praise they receive. But some of this crap that gets a pass because it's "Retro" is just ridiculous.

And before I get called a fanboy, I do currently own all three of the next gen consoles and enjoy each one for different reasons.

Pipedream24 said:
@ Samus Aran

You aren't going to change anyone's opinion on the whole port/remake trend that is currently plaguing this generation. The statements made by you and Rubberwhistle made are absolutely correct. There was an absolute drought of quality software on both the Ps4 and Xone most of this year...with some good new games finally hitting this holiday. People needed something to play on their new systems and easy way for publishers to make a quick buck was to port games. At least with GTA V and the MCC collection they added content, new assets and the such. But games like Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, and the Last of Us were pretty much straight ports with the resolution bumped up. I also agree with these 8-bit indie games being compared with full releases is absurd. Games like Outlast, Resogun, and Child of Light are fantastic and deserve the praise they receive. But some of this crap that gets a pass because it's "Retro" is just ridiculous.

And before I get called a fanboy, I do currently own all three of the next gen consoles and enjoy each one for different reasons.

i really like how you put that. lol. it truly is plaguing this generation. i am a huge fan of video games, and i love the history of it and all that kind of stuff. i feel like if this generation keeps getting these remakes and cash grabs, there is going to be no character for this generation. this generation is shaping up to be a very lackluster one. i think the wii u is going to be looked at as a gem with crazy expensive games and i think a full amiibo collection is going to be looked at as a very coveted collection. i hope the ps4 and x1 can evolve a little bit more. i would hate to see them end up just being a continuation of the ps3, or a continuation of the 360. i want them to have their own personalities. so yeah. if you want to play 7th gen games, get a 7th gen console! we have never had this problem before.

DerNebel said:

i think excluding remakes or ports is a very fair stipulation, i dont see what your problem is with that. it doesnt favor any one console over another. 

I don't have a problem with it, if you want to make your list not include remakes/remasters then do that and enjoy your list for yourself but don't think that  that should be accepted by everyone. At the end of the day everyone is going to have their own things they search for in games or a system.

So just because you don't want to include e.g. TLOU:R, doesn't mean that playing that game in the highest fidelity isn't a reason for someone else to buy a system and is thus going to be included in his/her list. You cannot make a universally true list that shows who has the better games (and even trying that on the basis of metacritic is a whole nother story) no matter how you set it up.

i really like how you put that. lol. it truly is plaguing this generation. i am a huge fan of video games, and i love the history of it and all that kind of stuff. i feel like if this generation keeps getting these remakes and cash grabs, there is going to be no character for this generation. this generation is shaping up to be a very lackluster one. i think the wii u is going to be looked at as a gem with crazy expensive games and i think a full amiibo collection is going to be looked at as a very coveted collection. i hope the ps4 and x1 can evolve a little bit more. i would hate to see them end up just being a continuation of the ps3, or a continuation of the 360. i want them to have their own personalities. so yeah. if you want to play 7th gen games, get a 7th gen console! we have never had this problem before.

You should probably try looking a little harder.

DerNebel said:
DerNebel said:

I don't have a problem with it, if you want to make your list not include remakes/remasters then do that and enjoy your list for yourself but don't think that  that should be accepted by everyone. At the end of the day everyone is going to have their own things they search for in games or a system.

So just because you don't want to include e.g. TLOU:R, doesn't mean that playing that game in the highest fidelity isn't a reason for someone else to buy a system and is thus going to be included in his/her list. You cannot make a universally true list that shows who has the better games (and even trying that on the basis of metacritic is a whole nother story) no matter how you set it up.

you need to relax, man. lol seriously. of course its my opinion that remakes shouldnt be included.. a lot of people share that opinion. in fact, that opinion i would say is most likely the majority. you dont see major gaming websites including remakes in goty discussions, do you? i think there is a lot of credibility behind my opinion that remakes shouldnt be included in lists like this. 

if everything is just chalked up to opinion and we can never find common ground, then why do you spend so much time on this forum? if everybody is just going to make their own list that they enjoy by themselves and thats it, then whats the point of coming on here and communicating ideas to other people? stop taking things to that level because its not constructive.