By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Many Critical Hits (75+ Metascore) will the Wii U have in 2014?

Tagged games:

How many 75+ Games in 2014?

1 to 10 41 23.98%

11 to 20 43 25.15%

21 to 30 37 21.64%

31 to 40 10 5.85%

41 to 50 3 1.75%

50 or higher 12 7.02%

See Results 25 14.62%

Total:171
DerNebel said:
Samus Aran said:
DerNebel said:

I count them as games that people care about, buddy and considering that GTA V, TLOU, Diablo 3 and Rayman have already sold over 7 million units combined I'd say that that's very much true.

Half of those sales came from one game only lol... 

You really must care a lot considering you looked up the highscore of metacritic and then their sales (on vgchartz I assume).

Those remakes sold so well because there was little else on the market (not all that surprising, happens with most consoles during their first year on the market, including Wii U). Next year when the PS4 will receive plenty of decent first and third party titles the remakes well sell far less. 

Anyway, people will buy shit in a can if it is marketed right... Sales don't mean much to me. Not in terms of quality at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist%27s_Shit

We're not talking sales, not me at least, but quality! 

Oh yeah, it takes so much effort to look up sales on vgchartz and highest rated games of 2014 on metacritic, took me almost 2 minutes.

Also what are you even trying to say with that sales =/= quality bullshit? Are you trying to suggest that those games aren't good?

GTA V is a good game, but the franchise gets over inflated reviews of the "critics". On what ground do I make this claim?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/grand-theft-auto-iv

GTA IV, 98% on metacritic and considered by many fans of the franchise to be one of the worst entries of modern GTA games! 98%! That's a ridiculous high score, that means over 90% of the "critics" thought this game was perfect! 

I can only assume a large amount of the marketing budget of Rockstar goes directly to the hands of the "critics" lol. 

And people buy what is marketed well, not what is of amazing quality (of course a game of amazing quality can be marketed right as well... Look at The Last of Us). Bayonetta 2 might be a good game, but most people haven't heard of it. 

Also why is Diablo III 90% on PS4 yet only 86% on XBONE? Is the difference between these games really that big lol?

And Towerfall Ascension (87%) is a better game than DKC: TF (83%)? Yeah right. :p 

Again, massively over inflated reviews for certain games... It's an insult to talented developers! 

Metacritic is too flawed for me. 

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
DerNebel said:

Oh yeah, it takes so much effort to look up sales on vgchartz and highest rated games of 2014 on metacritic, took me almost 2 minutes.

Also what are you even trying to say with that sales =/= quality bullshit? Are you trying to suggest that those games aren't good?

GTA V is a good game, but the franchise gets over inflated reviews of the "critics". On what ground do I make this claim?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/grand-theft-auto-iv

GTA IV, 98% on metacritic and considered by many fans of the franchise to be one of the worst entries of modern GTA games! 98%! That's a ridiculous high score, that means over 90% of the "critics" thought this game was perfect! 

I can only assume a large amount of the marketing budget of Rockstar goes directly to the hands of the "critics" lol. 

And people buy what is marketed well, not what is of amazing quality (of course a game of amazing quality can be marketed right as well... Look at The Last of Us). Bayonetta 2 might be a good game, but most people haven't heard of it. 

i showed my cousin what games i got for christmas (my wife bought me bayo 2 and capt toad). he said he never heard of them. he got a ps4 and cod aw. so yeah.. its definitely about what is marketed. wii u is a niche product, but will probably have the most highly regarded games of the generation.

RubberWhistleHistle said:
DerNebel said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Are they games? of course, but afterall they are only excuses to earn money because ther´s no retrocompatibility on one and ps4, that´s all, if not, probably this games won´t even exist. If we can count on that, then we can count on all the wii games you can play on Wii U, all of them, not only 4 on HD.

We count on that for what? To be able to play them? Yes of course you can. You do realize that not everyone is as invested in the listwars as you apparently are, right?

i have a feeling you would be singing a different tune if nintendo rereleased super metroid, a link to the past, ocarina of time, super mario world, etc in physical format for the wii u this year and we had nintendo fans making threads dancing around saying WII U HAS 20 90+ METACRITIC GAMES RELEASED IN 2014!! NINTENDOMINATION!!! 

you would see a problem with that, wouldnt you? i certainly wouldnt be counting those games, and i love nitnendo.

Are you kidding me? I wouldn't give a shit and it's already happening anyway, when Nintendo rereleases their older games on newer systems they are always counted.

DerNebel said:

i have a feeling you would be singing a different tune if nintendo rereleased super metroid, a link to the past, ocarina of time, super mario world, etc in physical format for the wii u this year and we had nintendo fans making threads dancing around saying WII U HAS 20 90+ METACRITIC GAMES RELEASED IN 2014!! NINTENDOMINATION!!! 

you would see a problem with that, wouldnt you? i certainly wouldnt be counting those games, and i love nitnendo.

Are you kidding me? I wouldn't give a shit and it's already happening anyway, when Nintendo rereleases their older games on newer systems they are always counted.

well i dont really count wind waker, maybe OoT for 3DS when it came out in 2011 because that was a huge jump. you have to admit that when a game is remade a year later, there isnt much advancement you can do with it compared to a game that is over a decade old. either way, i think new, original titles should be considered for something like this. or maybe different lists should be made. i think a list of new and original titles is more telling though. 

DerNebel said:
DerNebel said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Are they games? of course, but afterall they are only excuses to earn money because ther´s no retrocompatibility on one and ps4, that´s all, if not, probably this games won´t even exist. If we can count on that, then we can count on all the wii games you can play on Wii U, all of them, not only 4 on HD.

We count on that for what? To be able to play them? Yes of course you can. You do realize that not everyone is as invested in the listwars as you apparently are, right?

Nintendo has only made one remake for the Wii U: a 10 year old game with completely reworked graphics, controls and some small gameplay changes. 

Personally I would never count a late port of an indie game like Guacamelee (Wii U) or Fez/Flower/Minecraft (PS4) either. Those metacritic scores are very misleading lol. Even a super old PC can play these indie games... And indie games are often overrated as well. 

Around the Network
DerNebel said:

well i dont really count wind waker, maybe OoT for 3DS when it came out in 2011 because that was a huge jump. you have to admit that when a game is remade a year later, there isnt much advancement you can do with it compared to a game that is over a decade old. either way, i think new, original titles should be considered for something like this. or maybe different lists should be made. i think a list of new and original titles is more telling though. 

I really don't give a crap what people include in these lists, everyone sets the criteria in a way to make the console they want to look best look as good as possible anyway, at the end of the day it's utterly irrelevant, nobody is going to go on metacritic and base his/her console decision on a highscore comparison like that.

DerNebel said:
DerNebel said:

I really don't give a crap what people include in these lists, everyone sets the criteria in a way to make the console they want to look best look as good as possible anyway, at the end of the day it's utterly irrelevant, nobody is going to go on metacritic and base his/her console decision on a highscore comparison like that.

But there are loads of people on the internet that use metacritic as an argument as to why their console is factually better than the other.

And then they come with a list of games that consists out of mostly indie games that any old PC could play... 

My list only includes new games or relevant remakes. What's a relevant remake you ask? For example, the remake of the original Resident Evil that the PS4 will get next year... Or Metroid: Zero mission. 

DerNebel said:
DerNebel said:

why are you getting so angry? posts that i have already made disproves your little theory that people just want to set up their criteria to make their console look as good as possible. i just told you that i wouldnt count rereleases of super metroid, alttp, etc. which would make my favorite console look better. i told you i wouldnt even count wind waker which is a remake of a ten year old game. so clearly, you are wrong about how people set up this criteria. i want to set the criteria in a way that shows which console has the best games. 

DerNebel said:
DerNebel said:

why are you getting so angry? posts that i have already made disproves your little theory that people just want to set up their criteria to make their console look as good as possible. i just told you that i wouldnt count rereleases of super metroid, alttp, etc. which would make my favorite console look better. i told you i wouldnt even count wind waker which is a remake of a ten year old game. so clearly, you are wrong about how people set up this criteria. i want to set the criteria in a way that shows which console has the best games. 

I personally count Wind Waker because the game was a lot less cumbersome than the original thanks to the gamepad controls! Also sailing was twice as fast!

And I never played the original, so it was a new game to me. :p 

That's because the game was ten years old, so there were plenty of people like me who didn't get a chance to play the original. 

I was a Metroid fan before I was a Nintendo fan, which explains why I never played Wind Waker or TP on the GC (I bought the Wii version of TP when I finally got my Wii in 2008) 

I only played MP1, MP2, SSX3, Lord of the Rings: the Return of the King and Mario Kart on my GC. Many many hours! 

Samus Aran said:

I personally count Wind Waker because the game was a lot less cumbersome than the original thanks to the gamepad controls! Also sailing was twice as fast!

And I never played the original, so it was a new game to me. :p 

i dont count WW because things get too sketch once you do. you said you never played the original, but a lot of people havent played the original TLOU or GTAV. at the same time, that is no excuse to just remake every popular game of last generation because new buyers of your console may not have played it, and that is not a good representation of how many good games there are on a console. if sony just remade heavy rain, god of war, the infamous games, the uncharteds, last of us, gran turismo 5, etc. it would just be inflating the numbers. it doesnt give us the true picture of what ps4 has brought to the table. i agree with you that WW is loads better on the Wii U than on GC, but its more fair if we dont count it. I respect the way nintendo handles their remakes compared to sony and other third parties, but they should just be left out of these kinds of lists altogether.