By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Sony and Panasonic announce ‘Archival Disc’, an optical disc that can store 300 GB of data

wow big jump considering hologram discs been 1TB and more for years.

DVDs have demonstrated to be absolutely shit qulity for backing data up. They degrade too quickly compared to CDs. Hopefully these archive discs are better.

Again I am in the HDD camp. As drives are so cheap you can have backups of hdds on other hdds.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
Good its more practical than an HDD

How's that? Portable hds pnp into anything now.

for a moment there I thought I might have to to re-buy my whole movie collection : /

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

Brutalyst said:
for a moment there I thought I might have to to re-buy my whole movie collection : /

You will. Movies will be in 8K format uncompressed.

Wonder how much each disc is going to cost?

Around the Network

It's not a question of "this or that". Every medium has its own advantages. Discs are indeed more durable (that's why they are sending them into space and not HDDs). They are also a lot cheaper. Think about it, that's 300 GB on just a piece of plastic. For an HDD you need all kinds of stuff. Such a disc should cost a few bucks in production and will get down to a few cents rather quickly. Try finding an HDD for that price. The advantages of HDDs have also been mentioned in this thread. But really, the two can coexist just fine. There's no need to argue about what's better.

Then again, this is a video games forum. I guess everything here ends up being a flame war, lol. ;)

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Lafiel said:
bucky1965 said:
Lafiel said:
bucky1965 said:
Archaic Disc? Most companies now store data on servers and cloud is improving.

and smart companies store important mid->long term data in several different ways to ensure it's safety

Servers don't need to be online. Discs degrade and can be easily stolen. Data loss is minimal on servers due to easy file transfers.

My point stands, using several different methods for data storage is the smart thing to do, trusting only one is the equivalent of gambling.

Optical discs are more durable than magnetic storages and "offline" Servers or intranets have also been hacked before (with very easy methods), so there is no reason to believe data was totally safe there. Especially 3rd party Cloud services look like an extremely juicy target as they carry so much information from various different companies and people.

Intranets that have been hacked all have a back door way to get in. Secure storage can be done on standalone servers. Even home servers. Discs only need to be cracked once. Servers and hd encryption can be changed at anytime.

Galaki said:
Brutalyst said:

You will. Movies will be in 8K format uncompressed.

That's a long way down the road.

Maybe there will be lossless codec before we can use uncompressed 8K(~2030).

Nintendo 2018

English is not my native language.
bucky1965 said:
PullusPardus said:
Good its more practical than an HDD

How's that? Portable hds pnp into anything now.

More space (as in physical space) , can stack a few of these and store them , use the most used files as a NAS.

walsufnir said:
daredevil.shark said:
bucky1965 said:
Archaic Disc? Most companies now store data on servers and cloud is improving.

Unless ISPs remove data cap barrier we will never have the true power of cloud.

I am always surprised to read about data caps... I am glad Germans don't have data caps (currently, that is, of course).

Same here. I can't imagine how shitty life would be with a data cap.