By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Did Microsoft Put Secret Sauce in Xbox One? DX12 May Allow Xbox One To Save GPU Time, Render Ray Tracing, SuperFog And Custom Effects

I bet DX12 is going to be more about bringing improvements to the PC which are already exposed on Xbox One.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
FrontlineJaguar said:
ethomaz said:
Yeap Direct X 12 will make a HD7770 perform like HD7870.

BTW the Mantle tests I saw in web are fake... the GPU they used for comparison perform way better than they tried to show.

What do u want to say mantle is not what they they promised i am new member so don't know about your previous posts or threads so can you please elaborate.

There is so much nonsense "explained" in this thread that it is difficult to stay on topic, but to give you a rough overview:

Mantle is an attempt at marrying the cpu with the gpu(s) by avoiding cpu draw calls as much as possible. All DirectXs (before 12, and we don't really know what DX12 does better at this time) contain two parts. The first part (made by MS) is visible to the programmers and basically a list of functions you can call to do "graphics stuff". The second part (made by ATI/NVidia) is the actual translation of these functions for the various gpu chips. All these years, communication between these two parts consisted of "cpu draw calls" - basically the cpu tells the gpu what to draw and where to draw it. Since cpu and gpu memory is separate on pcs, this required a lot shoveling around commands and memory. Mantle (on a system with unified memory) greatly reduces those cpu draw calls, avoiding most of this shoveling around memory which makes the graphics system much faster. Maybe. Maybe not. It depends what game you are playing.  Games can be cpu limited (there is just too much to calculate into a single frame) or gpu limited (there is just too much to draw for a weak gpu).

If your game is gpu limited, then there is no point in Mantle. In theory, you can draw call much more than without Mantle, but your gpu won't be able to do it so you won't see any difference in the end. If your game is cpu limited, then you will see a drastic increase in performance if you have a strong gpu, since you can now execute more graphic commands. This is what people have seen testing Battlefield 4 with Mantle on the pc. Using Radeon 290Xs, the diffferences can be up to 25%, using weak Radeon 260s, there was nothing to see at all.

Now the big question is what is the XBox One and PS4 apu? Both feature unified ram and (depending who you want to believe) full heterogeneity. We know that the Jaguar cores are not exactly berserkers when it comes to performance, but as of yet no developer has complained about insufficient cpu power. So we can (at this point) conclude that games are not cpu limited on the new consoles. That brings up the the question of how strong the gpus are in the apus. Here we know that the more powerful the gpu, the better the performance. However, neither gpu is even close to a Radeon 290X, but close to a Radeon 260, so judging from pc tests we must conclude that DX12 implemented on the XBox One will show No to insignifant improvements. Assuming that the current driver (which is a variant of DX11) already uses some kind of low-level mechanism. In the unlikely event that this is not the case and they are using run-of-the-mill software drivers, we could see a 5% improvement (then again, we have not discussed the part of the XBox One Supervisor which directly interferes with all this "mantle-like" process).

So in short, don't expect miracles from DX12 (whenever it actually comes out) on the XBox One console. Enjoy reading misterxmedia's blog but don't believe a second there is any substance in those ramblings.

the-pi-guy said:
HumdrumPie said:
But won't the PS4 be using Direct X 12 too?! It is meant to be a new standard that everyone uses. I could be wrong but I think the PS4 is using Direct X now 11 right now. What other option is there? Open GL?

The PS4 uses OpenGL or something similar to it, but it doesn't use DirectX. DirectX is Microsoft's stuff.  The original slideshow showing that the PS4 was using DX 11.2+, meant that it equivalent to it.

There are lots of claims, by Valve and Carmack, that OpenGL is better than DirectX.   

Where exactly did they claim this?

true_fan said:

ps4 fans are nervous. They don't have the games, so they resort to sales and specs comparisons. If it is proven that the DX12 is compatible with XB1 it shakes up their world. I have done a ton of reading and DX12 could be a game changer. ps4 fans have been on edge with this news and Titanfall coming out in a few days, I find it hilarious. Just use logic MSFT customized their chips with AMD, forward thinking. Also MSFT have released numerous clues without saying too much, just wait for March 20. I have a feeling XB1 was just released early and the real XB1 will be annouced soon.

the-pi-guy said:
HumdrumPie said:
But won't the PS4 be using Direct X 12 too?! It is meant to be a new standard that everyone uses. I could be wrong but I think the PS4 is using Direct X now 11 right now. What other option is there? Open GL?

The PS4 uses OpenGL or something similar to it, but it doesn't use DirectX. DirectX is Microsoft's stuff.  The original slideshow showing that the PS4 was using DX 11.2+, meant that it equivalent to it.  

There are lots of claims, by Valve and Carmack, that OpenGL is better than DirectX.   

PS4 doesn't use DX or OpenGL, it's much closer to the metal for the best performance.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
FrontlineJaguar said:
Xenostar said:
Of course the APIs and drivers will improve, thats the same for any hardware, but no there is no such thing as secret sauce. The hardware is what it is.

@xenostar @vivster api's and drivers are going to improve but if you bing it or google it you can see a decent amount of difference between directx 11 and 10 amd mantle improved the perfomance by huge means 30-35% so directx can. Their are many things ms has to answer about.

As I said in my post a new version of DirectX will not improve any console significantly. Improvements like Mantle only work on PC because it brings the API closer to the hardware. The consoles however are already as close to the hardware as it gets so nothing to gain here.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

true_fan said:

ps4 fans are nervous. They don't have the games, so they resort to sales and specs comparisons. If it is proven that the DX12 is compatible with XB1 it shakes up their world. I have done a ton of reading and DX12 could be a game changer. ps4 fans have been on edge with this news and Titanfall coming out in a few days, I find it hilarious. Just use logic MSFT customized their chips with AMD, forward thinking. Also MSFT have released numerous clues without saying too much, just wait for March 20. I have a feeling XB1 was just released early and the real XB1 will be annouced soon.

Very funny. Cool misterxmedia impersonation! If I weren't so lazy, I'd even include a star-trek doublefacepalm.gif or even a triplefacepalm.gif

walsufnir said:
the-pi-guy said:
HumdrumPie said:

Carmack said this, about 14 years ago.  In 2011 he said Direct 3D is now better than OpenGL.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/03/11/carmack-directx-better-opengl/1

Also Valve's Steambox runs Linux which doesn't have DirectX, so they would say that now wouldn't they.

My 8th gen collection

true_fan said:

Oh, just wow.

I don't even know why I'm replying to this looking at that post count and join date.

the-pi-guy said:
walsufnir said:

They are very old claims, at least I think the John Carmack one is.  I can't find very many newer claims by either of them.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/133824-valve-opengl-is-faster-than-directx-even-on-windows

Never mind about John Carmack, his most recent statements that I can find say the opposite.

Yes, times have changed. DirectX matured a lot over the last couple of years, although of course is not perfect. But it is a nice tool for game developers offering a quite complete solution for gaming purposes.

OpenGL is not bad either, though. But saying it is faster is simply not true.