By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Did Microsoft Put Secret Sauce in Xbox One? DX12 May Allow Xbox One To Save GPU Time, Render Ray Tracing, SuperFog And Custom Effects

Btw 50% power on spec sheet doesn't ever translate in 50% improvement... Especially when it's on one part of the whole system... And especially nothing impressive... I'd never upgrade a graphic card for a ridiculous 50% on paper spec improvement.. Nothing to jack off over...

that being said TRUTH (see I can use cap lock too) directX 12 will have a port to XBox cause they didn't dev it around 11.* knowing 12 was coming... They didn't start dev yesterday you know.... But keep going it's funny to have a new flaming weasel around... You should date...

Around the Network
dyremose said:
How come xbox one is destined to have numerous secret sauces (esram, power of the cloud, magic) whike the ps4 doesnt have any tricks upits sleeve or even the ability to improve over time?

Sony's biggest trick up its sleeve will be clockrate.  The current (strong) rumor is that the PS4 clocks in at 1.6Ghz [ http://n4g.com/news/1469905/ps4-cpu-clock-frequence-confirmed

I predict that a few years out when developers have really begun to max out the hardware, Sony will bump up the CPU clockrate  (1.8? 2.0?..?) via firmware update.  Sony has always relied on the developer learning curve on new, esoteric hardware to naturally extend the life of the console (i.e. it took devs a few years to figure out how to get maximum juice out of Emotion Engine, Cell, etc) With the current gen, the hardware is basically well-known AMD kit so there isn't a whole lot of "mystery" for devs to uncover to squeeze out more performance.  I predict that Sony's intended answer to that situation is to provide a 'surprise' CPU clock rate boost about mid-way through the console life cycle. They did a similar boost early in the PSP's lifecycle.

shane_stocks said:
NobleTeam360 said:
shane_stocks said:
NobleTeam360 said:
shane_stocks said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Cool, looking forward to Direct X12 on X1.

This forum pains me.

Direct X12 WILL NOT WORK ON XBOX ONE. It is a machine for Direct X11, and it is something you cannot change. Done.

Then why does the title say DX12 on Xbox One? 

Because Microsoft. The ones who also claim that the Xbox One is 4-5 times more powerful than PS4 because of the CLOUD. You fall for this brand new tactic, go right ahead.

I never commented on the cloud or any of that non sense. There will be improvements from whatever MS does to X1 so I could actually care less if it's DirectX 12 or not. Marginal improvements are better than none at all. 

Yes of course there will be improvements. Ever single console in existence has improvements as time goes by, that is not thread worthy. 360 and PS3 had improvements, PS4 and X1 will have improvements.

We are talking about here whether Direct X12 will improve the Xbox One. The answer, the truth, is NO, IT WILL NOT.

No shit. 

Yeap Direct X 12 will make a HD7770 perform like HD7870.

BTW the Mantle tests I saw in web are fake... the GPU they used for comparison perform way better than they tried to show.

ethomaz said:
Yeap Direct X 12 will make a HD7770 perform like HD7870.

BTW the Mantle tests I saw in web are fake... the GPU they used for comparison perform way better than they tried to show.

What do u want to say mantle is not what they they promised i am new member so don't know about your previous posts or threads so can you please elaborate.

Around the Network

A new DirectX brings new (universal) features to the SDK, it doesn't unlock new hardware power. It provides specific code for use on different gpus and software emulation for missing hardware features. It doesn't unlock previously unused ray trace units or superfog chips (whatever that is). It makes it easier to implement those effects without programmers having to worry about the different implementations on different cards.
Good news for cross pc console development, but it's still more efficient to use low level coding specific to the gpu in question.

Ofcourse DirectX 12 could have more efficient code for use with the X1 gpu than DirectX 11 or whatever it uses now. I wouldn't expect a big difference though.

SvennoJ said:
A new DirectX brings new (universal) features to the SDK, it doesn't unlock new hardware power. It provides specific code for use on different gpus and software emulation for missing hardware features. It doesn't unlock previously unused ray trace units or superfog chips (whatever that is). It makes it easier to implement those effects without programmers having to worry about the different implementations on different cards.
Good news for cross pc console development, but it's still more efficient to use low level coding specific to the gpu in question.

Ofcourse DirectX 12 could have more efficient code for use with the X1 gpu than DirectX 11 or whatever it uses now. I wouldn't expect a big difference though.

this

HumdrumPie said:
But won't the PS4 be using Direct X 12 too?! It is meant to be a new standard that everyone uses. I could be wrong but I think the PS4 is using Direct X now 11 right now. What other option is there? Open GL?

There's no reason PS4 couldn't work with DX12.  Hell, given its better HW, I would imagine it would work better with it than the One would.  Of course, that doesn't mean they will use it.  I think most people on PS systems use OpenGL, which seems to get the job done just as well.  This just another baseless secret sauce topic where Xbox fans hope that some magic SW can overcome an ~40% HW advantage the PS4 has, like the Cloud, ESRAM, tiled resources, and dGPU.  It has never happened, and it will never happen.  No problem in them continuing to dream, though.  Just like I dream of when Sony will buy Crash and Spyro back, and make good games with them again. 

ps4 fans are nervous. They don't have the games, so they resort to sales and specs comparisons. If it is proven that the DX12 is compatible with XB1 it shakes up their world. I have done a ton of reading and DX12 could be a game changer. ps4 fans have been on edge with this news and Titanfall coming out in a few days, I find it hilarious. Just use logic MSFT customized their chips with AMD, forward thinking. Also MSFT have released numerous clues without saying too much, just wait for March 20. I have a feeling XB1 was just released early and the real XB1 will be annouced soon.

So far on the secret sauce war Sony is winning 4 to 0 you better get your saucing together MS

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.