By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Did Microsoft Put Secret Sauce in Xbox One? DX12 May Allow Xbox One To Save GPU Time, Render Ray Tracing, SuperFog And Custom Effects

Vasto said:

It will also allow for better adoption on the PC, making the architecture even more similar and allowing developers to implement the same effects on the Xbox One without worrying about what to cut or add for the PC version and vice versa.

I've already purchased eSRAM for my Sony VAIO.

BTW: SRAM in Polish is "I'm doing a heap"

Around the Network

Ray tracing? A GTX Titan would have a bad time with real-time ray tracing. Only that pretty much invalidate the article.

the-pi-guy said:
HumdrumPie said:
But won't the PS4 be using Direct X 12 too?! It is meant to be a new standard that everyone uses. I could be wrong but I think the PS4 is using Direct X now 11 right now. What other option is there? Open GL?

The PS4 uses OpenGL or something similar to it, but it doesn't use DirectX. DirectX is Microsoft's stuff.  The original slideshow showing that the PS4 was using DX 11.2+, meant that it equivalent to it.  

There are lots of claims, by Valve and Carmack, that OpenGL is better than DirectX.   

No, PS consoles use a custom API (libGDM if I'm remembering it correctly). Even XB consoles don't use the normal DirectX, they have several more direct calls for higher performance.

This secret sauce combined with the power of the cloud should easily put the Xbone several generations ahead of the PS4. I don't even know why Sony is in gaming anymore.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

shikamaru317 said:
The downplaying in this thread is incredible.

MSFT good news? NOOOOOOOOOO 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

The secret sauce is incredible.  Have a taste if you don't believe me.

true_fan said:

ps4 fans are nervous. They don't have the games, so they resort to sales and specs comparisons. If it is proven that the DX12 is compatible with XB1 it shakes up their world. I have done a ton of reading and DX12 could be a game changer. ps4 fans have been on edge with this news and Titanfall coming out in a few days, I find it hilarious. Just use logic MSFT customized their chips with AMD, forward thinking. Also MSFT have released numerous clues without saying too much, just wait for March 20. I have a feeling XB1 was just released early and the real XB1 will be annouced soon.

Xbox fans are nervous. The almighty cloud-power was a dud, so they resort to tech speculations and are hoping for a secret sauce as savior. 

Just use logic: if the big forward thinking plan of MSFT and AMD was DX12 from the beginning... where does the mantle-piece (pun intended) fit in the puzzle. Why did AMD waste millions of dollars on mantle, if the same improvements also come a few months later from their buddies at MSFT?

shikamaru317 said:

So are the overexaggerations. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
shikamaru317 said:

So are the overexaggerations. 

From which side?  And where are all these exagerations?  Maybe point the community to all the perpetrators 

FrontlineJaguar said:

What do u want to say mantle is not what they they promised i am new member so don't know about your previous posts or threads so can you please elaborate.

There are some benchs showing Mantle boosting 40% an AMD GPU to the point it beats GTX770 by a good margin... it is fake because even with a weak CPU the GTX770 performs at least twice better than the graphs shows... so the AMD GPU didn't beat the GTX770 with Mantle at all... the benchs are faked.

Mantle was created to give a boost in performance when the CPU is bottleneck... if you have a good CPU then you won't see these boost in performance.

Another point is that the devs are not using multicore CPU code in the right way... so in the future even Mantle won't give more advantage in week CPUs and DirectX 12 will do what Mantle is trying to do.

In resume... Mantle is dead.