By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Transfer tool from Wii to U - question on separate files

Ok, thanks for the replies. Has nobody had any experience in trying it? I have found this piece of information on deleting content, but don't know how will it be after the transfer tool gets used:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2384430_delete-redownload-virtual-console-game.html

Around the Network

Bump. Need more info plz.

I did it for both Wii and 3DS. Like I said, your rights are all transferred to the new console. It gives you all of the details while you're doing it. The Wii U made me transfer everything over (if memory serves) except the game Lost Winds for some reason.

That was in 2012, though. Memory isn't perfect.

I checked out that link just now. You can delete and redownload on your Wii but once you transfer to the Wii U, you'll only be able to delete and redownload on the Wii U.

Sucks because I can play my Xbox purchases on any 360 as long as I log in and I can play my PS3 purchases on any PS3--sometimes, on a PSP or PS4 or Vita! Nintendo really needs to quit being so restrictive on digital downloads. It makes me not want to buy anything digital. Can't even share my 3DS purchases with my daughter or even get club nintendo points for them.

Legally the WiiU transfer tool is all or nothing.

Illegally you could try make a backup of your Wii's memory before doing the transfer, and restore it afterwards.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I checked out that link just now. You can delete and redownload on your Wii but once you transfer to the Wii U, you'll only be able to delete and redownload on the Wii U.

Sucks because I can play my Xbox purchases on any 360 as long as I log in and I can play my PS3 purchases on any PS3--sometimes, on a PSP or PS4 or Vita! Nintendo really needs to quit being so restrictive on digital downloads. It makes me not want to buy anything digital. Can't even share my 3DS purchases with my daughter or even get club nintendo points for them.

Do tell me how you can play any PS3 purchases on a PS4, would love to know. I have no option to do this on either the PS4 or the Xbox One. At the very least I am happy I can play my Wii purchases on the Wii U, though again disappointed I can't have them on our SECOND Wii U.

jlrx said:
d21lewis said:

Do tell me how you can play any PS3 purchases on a PS4, would love to know. I have no option to do this on either the PS4 or the Xbox One. At the very least I am happy I can play my Wii purchases on the Wii U, though again disappointed I can't have them on our SECOND Wii U.

PS1 classics.  Or some indie games like Flower*.

*see my sig

d21lewis said:
jlrx said:
d21lewis said:

*see my sig

Does that not require purchasing the game again though?

jlrx said:
d21lewis said:
jlrx said:
d21lewis said:

*see my sig

Any cross buy titles are that, cross buy.  If they're not, then you have to purchase again, like Strider.  PS1 titles, if they ever work without Playstation Now, will work without a repurchase.  At least, it's been like that for Vita, PSP and PS3.

jlrx said:
d21lewis said:
jlrx said:
d21lewis said:

*see my sig

Nope.  The same PS1 title I purchased for PSP back in 2009 is downloadable for free on my PS3 and PSV.  Even the saves can be transferred between consoles (though the process is cumbersome).  I bought Flower for PS3 and I was able to download it again for free on PSV and again on PS4!

We only have one Vita but back when my daughter and I were PSP fans, EVERY game I bought digitally, I could play on her PSP and mine with no restrictions.  We bought a ton of games, too!

Meanwhile I've purchased 1985's SMB1 on Wii, Wii U (at reduced price), and 3DS.  Has to pay every time.  Nintendo makes your purchases playable only on the device you purchased it on.  I can't even get Club Nintendo coins for the copies of Animal Crossing and Mario Kart 7 I bought digitally for my daughter's 3DS since the last big update.  I can only claim digital purchases on one 3DS now even though both are registered as mine.