By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create hardware-software sales (2/24 – 3/2)

osed125 said:

Why do people consider the Vita sales good? They barely pass as ok.

It's all relative. Vita is doing "well" compared to it's performance a year ago. Likewise a 15k-20k baseline for Wii U would be seen by some as "good" despite not really being that impressive.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
harvest moon did not do too shabby!

i think the first one did about 80k, so much better op!

kowenicki said:

about 100k I think.

Pretty much exactly 100k.  So you have to ask yourself "Do you think Vita will average 25k/week for the next 4 weeks?"

With the new bundle and a variety of software, I think it's probably quite likely, so by the end of March we'll see 2013 YTD = 2014 YTD.  Then we'll just have to see which year has better legs after that (I'm willing to wager it's 2014, because  so far this year we haven't seen any signs of it dropped below 15k whereas last year it continued to drop below 10k again after the price cut).

DanneSandin said:
Vita seems to have found its stride! I'd say that that's pretty good numbers. The Wii U isn't doing very good, but at least it seems to have stabilized... And the PS4 doesn't really tell us anything right now; we gotta wait and see. What's of a major concern though is the 3DS; it's pulling good numbers for sure, but it's declining yoy...

I hate to be a downer, but I would say the WiiU hasn't stablized yet.  It's been creeping lower and lower every week since DK and there's nothing of note coming until Just Dance which may or may not move some hardware; and then after that it's the wait until Mario Kart.

So I think we'll see it continue a downturn.  Though, I hope not.

osed125 said:

Why do people consider the Vita sales good? They barely pass as ok.

For a lot of people (like me), we've been following Media Create for 2 or so years and have seen Vita do numbers ranging from terrible to abysmal to basket case so seeing it keep a relatively stable level like this which is well above 10k is "good". 

Yes, in the grand scheme of things it probably isn't, but in the grand scheme of things the Japanese hardware market is in such dire straits that it probably is kinda good.

Around the Network

PS4 numbers are incredibly bad. I think I read somewhere that that's the biggest W1-W2 drop ever for a new console in Japan. The one saving grace is that it does seems like new stock didn't get there until this week and will be accounted accordingly. If you think about it, it makes much more sense for Sony to ship to the US/UK/rest of EU where the real "fight" will take place. Regardless though, any fan of JP games should really hope that the PS4 finds a healthy baseline in the land of the rising sun in order for us to get more JRPGs and JP like games on the system. As of now, they are mainly going to mobiles, and that's worrisome. My hope is that the PS4 has an unprecedented rise next week as new stock comes in and sells 70K+. I'm not holding my breath though and should probably expect another huge drop.

kumagawa said:
Wii U media create sales last 3 weeks

2/24 – 3/2
Wii U – 8,204

2/17 - 2/23
Wii U - 8.407

2/10 - 2/16
Wii U - 8,782

Sub 8000 next week?

Anything new releasing?

The next worthy releases in JP for WiiU are Just Dance 2014 on April 3rd, which is exclusive to WiiU in Japan due to Nintendo publishing it, and Mario Kart at the end of May.

The WiiU has not stabilized yet, as you have shown. It's going down every week, albeit slowly. I guess people can see that as a good sign (it's not dropping like a rock). I think reasonable expectations that it will be below 5K in the middle of May prior to MK8 is fair.

Vita seems to have stabilized in the 18-23K range.  I feel like the PSV is on the verge of taking off in Japan, but it needs one or two exclusive big/huge titles to help push it over the hump. Its biggest title is a cross gen game in GE2. Sony should work hard on getting some exclusive SW for it. There's not a whole lot they can do for it from a 1st party perspective (GT6 port, Dark Cloud, LoD, new IP), but from moneyhatting, they could try and get MHP5, FFType1, KHBBS2, and DQM3/DQJ3 exclusively. Along with ports of DQX, FFXI or FFXIV, etc... For the SE titles, they could HD port FFType0, KH BBS, and HD remakes of DQM1+2 and DQJ1+2. Not saying it'd be easy, it would require a lot of work and effort from Sony to make this happen and Nintendo seems to have an ironclad grip on the biggest 3rd party games in Japan, DQ (as well as mainline MH games now). Sony would have to work extra hard and put lots of money on the table to make it happen. I'm not saying it would surpass the 3DS LTD, that's actually pretty much impossible to happen at this point, but that it would pass the Saturn (6 million) and possibly the PS3 and Wii.

Kresnik said:
DanneSandin said:
Vita seems to have found its stride! I'd say that that's pretty good numbers. The Wii U isn't doing very good, but at least it seems to have stabilized... And the PS4 doesn't really tell us anything right now; we gotta wait and see. What's of a major concern though is the 3DS; it's pulling good numbers for sure, but it's declining yoy...

I hate to be a downer, but I would say the WiiU hasn't stablized yet.  It's been creeping lower and lower every week since DK and there's nothing of note coming until Just Dance which may or may not move some hardware; and then after that it's the wait until Mario Kart.

So I think we'll see it continue a downturn.  Though, I hope not.

Lalalala not hearing! lalalalala!!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

This is actuallly the biggest opening for harvest moon ever, and marvelous had a expectation of 150K LTD.

Bear in mind that Wiiu will recieve a now casual bundle soon, and that helped the console a lot last year, so, who knows, eh?

Prediction: PS4 50K next week

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

And to be on topic: there's not nearly enough information in that OP and I shall edit it in a minute.

Glad to see Vita up though, and that's an incredible opening for a Harvest Moon game - good for it. Right title at the right time on the right system, kudos.

Would've liked to have seen Deception IV a little higher but can't have everything, I suppose.

And PS4 - I'll reserve judgement for a few weeks. It's not looking good, but these numbers pretty much confirm selling out of launch shipment rather than anything else.

Pretty decent week.

Vita hardware sales are good (If we keep in mind where it has been before *shudders*)

...and Harvest Moon´s sales aren´t too shabby either.

A New Beginning launched with

Week Ending Week Weekly Change Total
25th February 2012 1 83,270 N/A 83,270

83k sales fw.

Not bad at all for such a niche, low budget series !

Still have to get an european copy !

Edit: At first glance, Fossil Fighters seems to be very low, but the first game in the series launched at half the numbers and sold 300k ltd.

It will be interesting to watch the legs.