By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which one will make it to 10m first, Wii U or Xbox One?

Which one will make it to 10m first?

Wii U 485 55.62%

Xbox One 269 30.85%

I feel like punching a goldfish 117 13.42%

Total:871

Funny how this is now a relevant question.

OT; I'd say Wii U.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

X bone

I get the feeling the more time passes the less inclined people will become to get a wii u.

Lets look at the past few months, they have had a plethora of high rated exclusive games but it never helped the sales pace over the bone. titan fall can potentially temporarily push the bone's sales pace over the ps4.

So the trend is, hyped exclusive releases will help the bone make surges and they won't for too big a scale on the wii u.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

This will be very close. I think WiiU will hit 10m first but XBO will finish ahead for the year.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Personally I think the advantage is the wii u. When you pull the wii u apart there is nothing in it of value hardware wise. It's a very cheap design. This means Nintendo have the option at selling it at a lower price more easily and consoles sell in far larger numbers at lower prices. The wii u can easily compete at a price level of 360 and PS3 and performs to the same level too. This christmas I think the wii u pricing and bundling will be more aggressive. Xbox one despite being weaker than ps4 isn't much cheaper to manufacture I'm guessing. The extra money that Sony pays for fast GDDR5 chips is probably similar to the kinect cost of xbox one. The extra GPU performance of the ps4 is merely using the silicon that is used for the 32MB of embedded memory in the xbox one to compensate for slow DDR memory. Microsoft needs pricing between wii u and ps4 but they are probably going to try to hang on to pricing close to ps4 which I don't think they will succeed with.

Nintendo have lost most third party support and will get pretty desperate to sell wii u's I believe. Nintendo will be forced back into aggressive pricing like the N64 and Gamecube era. The wii u's success will come from being a low cost secondary console in many homes or a console for younger children.

Microsoft have other revenue streams and xbox one success is not as critical for them.

bonzobanana said:
Personally I think the advantage is the wii u. When you pull the wii u apart there is nothing in it of value hardware wise. It's a very cheap design. This means Nintendo have the option at selling it at a lower price more easily and consoles sell in far larger numbers at lower prices. The wii u can easily compete at a price level of 360 and PS3 and performs to the same level too. This christmas I think the wii u pricing and bundling will be more aggressive. Xbox one despite being weaker than ps4 isn't much cheaper to manufacture I'm guessing. The extra money that Sony pays for fast GDDR5 chips is probably similar to the kinect cost of xbox one. The extra GPU performance of the ps4 is merely using the silicon that is used for the 32MB of embedded memory in the xbox one to compensate for slow DDR memory. Microsoft needs pricing between wii u and ps4 but they are probably going to try to hang on to pricing close to ps4 which I don't think they will succeed with.

Nintendo have lost most third party support and will get pretty desperate to sell wii u's I believe. Nintendo will be forced back into aggressive pricing like the N64 and Gamecube era. The wii u's success will come from being a low cost secondary console in many homes or a console for younger children.

Microsoft have other revenue streams and xbox one success is not as critical for them.

You forgot about the Gamepad.

Essentially they both have a similar problem, a forced accessory no one wants keeping the price higher than it should and ultimately needs to be.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
did the x1 fall behind the wii U this week or something?

x1 should, unless I missed something.....

You missed the 4 million units head start the Wii U has.

Going with the XB1.

Granted, the Wii U has some big franchise sequels coming up, but it's been on the market long enough that there really isn't any indicator that the Wii U won't be the Game Cube of the 8th gen. GC had those big franchises as well.

The XB1 really just needs to fill out its game catalog (it's been less than 3 months; be realistic here) which will improve over the first year of release and should see some strong releases in the second year.

And of course a price adjustment is all but given once MS can cut BoM costs on the current unit, whether that's by selling a Kinect-free SKU or a releasing a simplified, redesigned console. When hardware costs start high, there's a more room for adjustment on the way down, with a larger potential market at each lower tier. Look at the PS3.

Cheebee said:
Funny how this is now a relevant question.

OT; I'd say Wii U.

Seriously, right?

We're not even bothering with "Who will win the 8th Generation in sales" threads anymore. 

Now it's more like who's going to be last?

Hard question for me. Aside from Titanfall, Xbox One hasn't anything cool announced. We would need to wait until E3 to see a bunch of games that will be released during Holidays. So with the Titanfall push, Xbox One should make 5-5.5M until May. More I don't think. Then we got E3 and we should wait until holidays. After December, the Xbox One should have sold 9-9.5M units, not more, not enough to reach the 10M's roof.

The Wii U gets Mario Kart 8 on May, and it will definitely help sales, 7M maximum until August. Then we got a bunch of games more, like Bayonetta 2, Smash, Hyrule Warriors and I guess Yoshi Yarn, for the announced games, not counting the games that Nintendo will announce on E3. By the end of the year, I think Nintendo's console will make 8-8.5M units, again, not more.

Having said this, Xbox One will make 10M first, not by the end of this year, but it should.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

tough call, i guess i'll say XB1