By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - FF 15 and KH3 makes more sense on Wii U than Xone

Wright said:

But I didn't get the explanation...

I had a business law exam today.  It was a business law explanation.

I could explain it, but it wouldn't be very interesting xD

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Wright said:

But I didn't get the explanation...

I had a business law exam today.  It was a business law explanation.

I could explain it, but it wouldn't be very interesting xD

Ah c'mon. Go ahead. I don't mind listening

Wright said:

Some decisions companies make require approval by the shareholders.

The threshold of which shareholders can pass a resolution for approval can be ordinary (50%) or special (75%).

Sony own 8% of the shares (and therefore the voting rights) in Square Enix.  I was suggesting they were going to team up with another shareholder who owned 20% of the shares/voting rights to be able to block the special resolution to allow the game to be on 360 (28% against would mean only 72% for, so it wouldn't pass).

Of course, none of this would ever happen since it's only applicable to UK law.  And the shareholders wouldn't be bothered about such trivial stuff as what platform a game would be on, that'd be up to the directors.

(Although I often wonder what Sony does with their 8% shareholding in Square Enix.  Do they ever use it to push more content onto their systems?)

Anyway, INTERESTING RITE?!

I don't understand why it's not available for all 3. Wasn't FFXV originally a PS3 game? Maybe the way they designed it, it's too much for the PS3/WiiU, but still.

Would have made more sense. Hopefully the next game is available on WiiU, Nintendo really should get a few JRPG's.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

I'd like to raise a few issues with the conclusions you're drawing in the OP.

- "the audience of nintendo consoles have a bigger acceptance regarding jrpgs"

I'm wondering how you've come to that conclusion. I realise you explained it by reference to the PS3, but what on earth does that have to do with it? PlayStation =/= Wii. PS3 has shown itself as a place where HD JRPG's can sell decently enough (only console with a non-Final Fantasy HD JRPG to sell > 1m); Wii and especially Wii U haven't shown this yet. Why not draw some parallels between Xbox 360 and Wii instead?

Tales of Vesperia 360 - 290k NA; 150k Europe
Tales of Symphonia 2 Wii - 200k NA; 30k Europe

Lost Odyssey 360 - 430k NA; 250k Europe
The Last Story Wii - 260k NA; 120k Europe

Two slightly better comparisons to draw - one Tales of comparison; one "exclusive JRPG by Mistwalker" comparison.

Now of course, there are still problems with these, such as when in each console's life they came out etc. etc., but they provide a damn site better picture than comparing PS3 to 360 and then drawing a parallel to WiiU with it.

There's also the kicker of Japan. Without a shadow of a doubt, these games would do better in Japan on WiiU than they could on XB1. But I'd also say that PS4 will hoover up the vast, vast majority of these games' sales in that territory and I think that's something Square Enix probably took into consideration.

As such, I wouldn't really say that Nintendo console owners are particularly more receptive to JRPG's than Xbox console owners. Or certainly, not in terms of home consoles. Wii didn't manage to sustain a million selling JRPG and WiiU has nothing on the horizon to instill any confidence in that changing other than the fact that X is coming.

- "On another perspective, vgc US preorders have FF15 with 28k on ps4 and 9.5k on Xone. Wii U titles of smaller franchises had and are having a better performance than that."

I know I sound like a broken record for saying this, but VGC pre order numbers are crap. Absolute guesswork. I love what VGC does for trying to correlate and collect data on things we don't have, but the USA pre-order charts are not its strong point. Especially for games without a release date, such as these two.

All in all, I think Kingdom Hearts would've been a better choice to put on WiiU than Xbox 1. But I think either version would pale by a large amount in comparison to PS4 sales, so really Square Enix could've picked wherever so long as PS4 was the main platform. If porting to X1 is easier, then the decision of which other platform to go after was an obvious choice.

Around the Network

Kingdom Hearts III makes a lot of sense, I agree.

It's nice that you added some humor in with the Final Fantasy XV part.

Kresnik said:
Wright said:

Some decisions companies make require approval by the shareholders.

The threshold of which shareholders can pass a resolution for approval can be ordinary (50%) or special (75%).

Sony own 8% of the shares (and therefore the voting rights) in Square Enix.  I was suggesting they were going to team up with another shareholder who owned 20% of the shares/voting rights to be able to block the special resolution to allow the game to be on 360 (28% against would mean only 72% for, so it wouldn't pass).

Of course, none of this would ever happen since it's only applicable to UK law.  And the shareholders wouldn't be bothered about such trivial stuff as what platform a game would be on, that'd be up to the directors.

(Although I often wonder what Sony does with their 8% shareholding in Square Enix.  Do they ever use it to push more content onto their systems?)

Anyway, INTERESTING RITE?!

What I understand from this is that you basically gave me a good explanation that couldn't be possible since SE is a Japanese company, that follows Japanese-rules.

:(

Isn't this kind of thing used in politics, though? As in, minority parties teaming-up with the big ones in exchange of mutual goodies, and, blocking off the other parties?

SE could show some respect for the company that the franchise was born, and do a port for them. Atleast do it for KH III ~

Pibituh said:
SE could show some respect for the company that the franchise was born, and do a port for them. Atleast do it for KH III ~

If Nintendo had given any respect to third party devs, that would make sense.
But since they only care about themselves, why should S-E even bother?

They don't listen to third parties when they develop their console. Unlike Sony and Microsoft. They are very stubborn and stick to their ideas. That's not necessarily a bad thing. But S-E left them first because Nintendo was stubborn with their cartridge format, a limited tech. Twice, they went for a very low capacity storage medium (N64 and Gamecube). Then they got into the gimmick business, were succesful at first, but were cattering to a certain audience at the detriment of an other. The Wii U's lack of success is the culminating result of those bad decisions. 

Talk about gameplay and being innovative all you want, but most people got tired of motion gaming after the third or fourth year of the Wii. And the Gamepad, while a good idea, hasn't even been used in any clever way by the very company that created it. S-E is a business. They will go where there's money to be made. And the Wii U, so far, isn't one such place.

It's simple, if you want to play these games, get a PS4 or Xbox One. Much like how if you want to play Bayonetta 2, get a Wii U. Fair is fair, no?

I've already accepted this fact a loooong time ago. You should too.