By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Incredibly big dropoff of Wii-sales this week in europe.

Only 100K (140K last week). All consoles had some drops, but the Wii the most. Is Nintendo stockpiling for US-release of Brawl?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

well two weeks ago wii also sold around this much so it isnt to big of a deal

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Supply I'm guessing. Last week they seemed to ship huge amounts out, I didn't think they would be able to sustain it.

i think they had a huge chunk go towards Japan for smash and now we are seeing the after effect

also you might be right in them stocking up for Us smash release-lord knows they would sell them in the states

Nah, if you look at the history for more than one week this is just normal fluctuation.

Around the Network

Don't get me wrong, I'm not afraid that the Wii is a fad. I'm only a little bit surprised, how big the dropoff was. In the week after the SSBB-release, such a dropoff will be normal (as in the release week the sales will increase). But this week is nothing special. So the only reason can be lacking supply.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

superchunk said:
Nah, if you look at the history for more than one week this is just normal fluctuation.

Exactly. Guys, the sales of every platform go up and down slightly on a week by week basis. It's not a supply crisis EVERY time Wii sales go down.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

In NA and Europe Wii sales seem to be decided by supply, they probably just don't have as much to send this week as last

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Sullla said:
superchunk said:

Exactly. Guys, the sales of every platform go up and down slightly on a week by week basis. It's not a supply crisis EVERY time Wii sales go down.

Not a supply crisis but with a console almost universally selling out it is certainly a fluctuation caused by supply. I just stated that I could see it happening because last week was so big.

didnt wii also have supply problems in japan lately

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"