By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 will be the worst-selling Mario Kart ever. UPDATE: Nope, my prediction was wrong.

Mensrea said:
It'll outsell doubledash. Someone bet me. Sig control avatar control, lets go.

Well, since I am the OP, I'll take that bet

Around the Network
Wright said:
Mensrea said:

You're on. Sig and avatar control for a week?

Mensrea said:
Wright said:
Mensrea said:

You're on. Sig and avatar control for a week?

Deal!

zorg1000 said:
Kane1389 said:
zorg1000 said:
Kane1389 said:
Rogerioandrade said:
Even if it sell around 5-6 million, considering the size of the market today it will do well enough.

That would require almost 100% attach rate of the game...not happening. It'll be lucky if it crosses 4 million

Its at 5.8 million right now according to Vgchartz and shipments of 5.86 million as of Dec 31, probably over 6 million by now. Do u honestly believe Wii U will ship/sell zero units from this point on?

It wont sell enough for this game to hit 6 million, I believe that

Thats fine but thats not what u said. U said it would have close to a 100% attach rate in order to sell that much which is not true. Wii U would literally have to be discontinued now in order for it to not pass 6 million.

For the last 3 generations the home console version of Mario Kart has had roughly a 30-35% attach ratio. Assuming that this trend continues Wii U would need a lifetime install base of about 15-17 million in order for Mario Kart to sell 5-6 million. Im not saying this scenario is gauranteed to happen but its def a realistic number for both of those to sell based on Wii U current hardware and software sales.

I assumed for some reason the dude was talkimg about yearly sales

archbrix said:
I think Nintendo biting the bullet and dropping WiiU's price to $250 in May with MK8 bundled is what it's gonna take at this point. That would yield some great results IMO for both the game and the console's sales.

I think there´s a 100% chance they´ll bundle MK8 with the system, I ´m guessing that even internally at Nintendo HQ, MK8 is seen as the system´s 'last chance'.

Though, I´m not so sure they´ll drop the price while including the game at the same time, not in the beginning, at least.I think they´ll at first retain the $300 price for the bundle, then depending on how things go, they might bite that bullet.

Around the Network

i can imagine a lot of people trying to put mario kart 8's discs in their wii's

We reap what we sow

JGarret said:
archbrix said:
I think Nintendo biting the bullet and dropping WiiU's price to $250 in May with MK8 bundled is what it's gonna take at this point. That would yield some great results IMO for both the game and the console's sales.

I think there´s a 100% chance they´ll bundle MK8 with the system, I ´m guessing that even internally at Nintendo HQ, MK8 is seen as the system´s 'last chance'.

Though, I´m not so sure they´ll drop the price while including the game at the same time, not in the beginning, at least.I think they´ll at first retain the $300 price for the bundle, then depending on how things go, they might bite that bullet.

I wouldn't say another price cut in May is impossible. Afterall, weekly Wii U sales are probably going to have dropped back down to the sub 20k region during this 3 month drought before MK8 releases, so desperate times may call for desperate measures.

Worse than Super Circuit? I doubt it.

Einsam_Delphin said:
JGarret said:
archbrix said:

I wouldn't say another price cut in May is impossible. Afterall, weekly Wii U sales are probably going to have dropped back down to the sub 20k region during this 3 month drought before MK8 releases, so desperate times may call for desperate measures.

Im really hopeful we see a relaunch to go along with Mario Kart.

-New redesigned Wii U with smaller, sleaker Gamepad

-price cut to $250 bundled with Mario Kart 8

-new advertisement campaign

-steady stream of software from that point on

-E3 a few weeks later show off a bunch of big titles for 2014/2015

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Wait, wasn't there a thread about DKC:TF bombing?

What is going on in this place!?!? :O

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/