By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 ACHIEVED what Wii couldn't (50 + % Marketshare May 2015)

mind said:
TheFallen said:
So with this week's numbers it is finally official on vgchartz that PS4 has the most marketshare (38.6%). It's gonna be interesting to see if and when the 50% barrier is breached.

It will be breached this year already, 60% marketshare is pretty much locked LT.

That would be great for Sony. I am cautiosly optimistic, but we shall see. GDC 2014 can't come soon enough.

Around the Network
DJEVOLVE said:
poklane said:
DJEVOLVE said:
Xbox One, Just like PS3 will come back and sell very high, They already signaled they will drop price, meaning will well see a price cut in the Fall. Most likely $100 off. This will push numbers very high for XBox One. The launch was very successful and looks like they just need the price to be right. The ones not buying in, obviously think $500 is just to much and to many it is. However $399 would be acceptable I think. So No I don't Think PS4 will get 50% market Share. It's only a matter of time before MS makes some major moves and this will stimulate sales.

Microsoft has never signaled a price drop, the only thing they did is 30 bucks in the UK... Microsoft probably wont do a $100 price drop until they can manufacture the Xbox One for $100 less, or unles they drop the Kinect out of the package (which they wont). Because if they would, you'd start selling the Xbox One at a loss, which is the last thing you want to do.

Last gen they sold for a loss right away, So did PS3 and many platforms before. This is nothing new. Xbox could sell one game and a XBox live subscription and boom they are profitable. They also included Titanfall for free which is a unofficial price drop. They will drop price in the fall. By then the xbox cost should have dropped a little. You act as if this is not possible, it's very possible. Not only that, I think they will be profitable soon after this drop. As a whole it's better then losing market share, This stops game sales and many other things. So the price drop is just a drop in the bucket amoung many other things. If I was them i would sell the Titanfall bundle until fall, then drop $100 in price. Titanfall needs a Xbox Live subscription to play. So this will push profit.

The difference this time is that MS isn't the newbie trying to get a foothold in the market, and neither is it looking like achieving substantial gen on gen growth. Those were the reasons team Xbox could justify selling hardware at a loss to the Xbox sceptics at MS. This time around, shrinking market share PLUS selling at a loss just wouldn't cut it with the internal opponents to Xbox.  The Xbox team are in a bind. Lose money and gain a bit of market share (let's face it they won't gain all that much) or keep selling at a profit and rely on later affordable price drops to gain more sales, but still keep losing ground to PS4?

MS screwed up with Xb one. They made a product the market largely doesn't want. They thought they could find some TV watching blue ocean which seems not to exist. Their vision was all wrong. PS4 will always be more powerful and except for brief periods PS4 will also almost always be cheaper, and PS4 will normally have the better looking and performing multiplatform games. Even ditching Kinect doesn't really put Xb one on the level with PS4. It will always be in PS4's rear view mirror. But becomming more price competetive might stop PS4 getting above (or staying above) 50%. PS4 still has to outpace Wiibone to the tune of 3.5 million units, which will take a while to do. And while I don't see either of the trailing consoles suddenly becomming the generation leader, one or both might do something which stops PS4 getting to that 50%. 

I think PS4 will get mid to high 40% market share in the long run. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

DJEVOLVE said:
Xbox One, Just like PS3 will come back and sell very high, They already signaled they will drop price, meaning will well see a price cut in the Fall. Most likely $100 off. This will push numbers very high for XBox One. The launch was very successful and looks like they just need the price to be right. The ones not buying in, obviously think $500 is just to much and to many it is. However $399 would be acceptable I think. So No I don't Think PS4 will get 50% market Share. It's only a matter of time before MS makes some major moves and this will stimulate sales.

There is a high chance Microsofit will drop the price. What is going to worry them is. If people got a Playstation 4 and XB one in the future, which system will sell better 3th party software? That's the place where the profit comes from. That's going to be interesting.

Once you entered you won't be the same anymore. A blog about life.

http://seetheworlddifferent.wordpress.com/

mutantsushi said:
If anybody knows how I can stop the Reply/Editing window from inserting 'hard'/doublespaced lines, PLEASE tell me!

This is very late but...

Shift + Enter does it 

I believe PS4 will reach in 2 years time 60% market share with xbone at 30% and WiiU at 10% or maybe 60/40 between the two new consoles..perhaps by then there would be no WiiU at all

Around the Network

Closer and closer. The 50 % range is not too far now. This holiday should be very interesting.

Not a chance. Wii U and Xbox1 will rebound.

Estelle and Adol... best characters ever! XD

unfortunatelly, easily.

50%, 30% 20% would be good, but it semms to achieve 60~70% thats not good.

last time a console achieve 70% marketshare sega stopped doing hardware, nintendo almost, xbox drop its console earlier, and sony thought they could sell a console for 600$.

Seems like a given now. Can it reach 60%?

greenmedic88 said:
That would rely upon sales of the Wii U or the XB1 to completely stagnate, which within the first two years of release for a new console would signal the death nell of a platform (like the Dreamcast).

So as much as I favor the PS brand as my go to choice for gaming, I sincerely hope not.

The only other way for this to happen is as Mummelmann previously stated, would be for SCE to sell more hardware units (20m) than they are currently capable of physically manufacturing.

Making a prediction like that (20m sales to hit that 50% marketshare), would be like Nintendo fans making Wii sales predictions that outstripped Nintendo's manufacturing capacity.

Agree. Anyhow, reaching that goal and keeping it for a while is possible and not unlikely, keeping it lifetime is a lot more difficult, unless both Ninty and MS commit seppuku.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!