By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has overtaken WiiU Worldwide

So,Donkey kong did not boost WiiU enough like people expected? What is left on the chalkboard?

Around the Network
gcube2000 said:

Wii U has sold over 6 million confirmed by Nintendo

No it hasn't. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

gcube2000 said:

PS4 has sold over 6 million by now anyway so it's still in the lead!

Just let this sink in. Last week on average a PS4 was sold every 1.3 seconds. In the time it took me to write this comment, 500 PS4s were sold.

gcube2000 said:

Wii U has shipped 5.86 million as of Dec 31st, expected to ship 6.2 million by March 31st, with the horrible sell through; that leaves about 6 million or less sold to end user as of March 31 st, in all likelihood. I can't believe this shipped vs sold to end user argument is still rolling after all these years.

The Wii U does not sell through its shipments and has even suffered negative shipment numbers from Europe for failing to move inventory.

zero999: Seeing you claim that you don't anticipate the PS4 to pass the Wii U before MK hit, did you think that the Wii U would explode solely due to Donkey Kong or did you think that PS4 demand would suddenly deflate almost completely? The PS4 would need to collapse by about 60-70% for this to happen, or the Wii U would need a rise of 200-300% or perhaps more. How on earth was this ever a realistic scenario for you? I just can't seem to wrap my head around your way of thinking at all.

Fusioncode said:
Zero999 said:

I got the software numbers about right. the hardware-software propotion was the one off. and I just delete useless conversations. the last one you started is still there.

You weren't even close. You were talking about how the PS4 was only going to have 100k FW in software and that 140k in hardware was pushing it. Why can't you just once admit you were actually wrong? It's not going to be the end of the world. 

in case you can't read, i said the hardware numbers were off. and no, i didn't say it would get 100k in software.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
gcube2000 said:

Wii U has shipped 5.86 million as of Dec 31st, expected to ship 6.2 million by March 31st, with the horrible sell through; that leaves about 6 million or less sold to end user as of March 31 st, in all likelihood. I can't believe this shipped vs sold to end user argument is still rolling after all these years.

The Wii U does not sell through its shipments and has even suffered negative shipment numbers from Europe for failing to move inventory.

zero999: Seeing you claim that you don't anticipate the PS4 to pass the Wii U before MK hit, did you think that the Wii U would explode solely due to Donkey Kong or did you think that PS4 demand would suddenly deflate almost completely? The PS4 would need to collapse by about 60-70% for this to happen, or the Wii U would need a rise of 200-300% or perhaps more. How on earth was this ever a realistic scenario for you? I just can't seem to wrap my head around your way of thinking at all.

a little of both. I didn't expect a total explosion for wii u and I expected ps4 basis to go down.

Now we've seen this weeks sales, it's obviously PS4 is only going to accrue a huge lead now.

OK, now that there are actual numbers, you can make the claim that, based on VGChartz numbers, PS4 has overtaken Wii U. I still have an issue with the guy who declares VGChartz numbers to be false when they're positive for the Wii U using the same source as solid evidence when it supports the idea that Wii U is doing badly. But that's a discussion for another day.

I'm pleased that the PS4 is doing moderately well. It saddens me, though, that the videogame industry is clearly in decline based on the current figures - hence why I can only actually say "moderately well" regarding the PS4. This is most evident in Japan, where the so-called land of the handheld is seeing maybe 50k per week in handheld sales when a year ago it was seeing 100k+, and even in early 2011 with no new handhelds on the market it was managing a healthy 80k. And the PS4, which was meant to be a blockbuster launch, and which reports suggest aren't really supply-restricted (outside of Tokyo, apparently), only managed to sell around the same as the Wii U did at launch, and less than either the Wii or the PS2 (the latter of which outsold it by around 100%).

Worldwide, things aren't much better. The industry is starting to fail too much, with the ramp-up in development costs and the reduction in purchases (hardware and software), I'm worried that we'll be seeing even more major studio closures in the next few years, unless something happens.

I think part of the problem is the lack of innovation in games themselves. And all developers, including Nintendo, are to blame on this point. All three hardware makers have had new features added to their systems... but none of them have really made proper use of them, instead relegating most of their use to gimmicky purposes. Third parties have done even worse. It speaks volumes that the most innovative company at the moment is Ubisoft... and their big innovations have mostly been "hey, we're making a game kind of like Person of Interest" and "hey, our new Assassin's Creed is set on the ocean".

Even Nintendo has dropped the ball quite a bit. There's so much they could have done with Wiimote controls. There's so much they could do with the Upad. There's so much they could do with the 3DS... but they appear to have become a little too safe in their approach, failing to really bring things comparable to that of Wii Sports, Wii Fit, or even Wii Music. The only real risk they've taken is Wonderful 101, and they failed to really push that title.

I'm sure some comparable things could be said about Sony and MS, but I don't know enough in those cases to say with certainty.

Let me put it another way - PS4 has overtaken Wii U. Not because of the strength of the PS4, but because of the weakness of the Wii U. It's really not something for anybody to truly celebrate about, just as the guy who earns $5000 a year shouldn't be celebrating their huge income by comparing themselves to someone who earns $2000 a year.

Oh god, give it a rest nobody cares.

Also, PS4 + XB1 are wildly ahead of PS3 + 360 in the same timeframe. It's only Nintendo that is down which leads to the assumption the whole industry is down.

As long as PS4 and Xb1 keep it up third parties will have the same userbase to appeal to as they did last gen.

They're already succeeding tho, Dead Rising a 3rd party exclusive over 1m on XB1, loads of third party games on PS4 and XB1 over 1m as well.

And if people want to celebrate, they can and will, don't force your opinions on people expecting them to feel bad about WiiU doing bad, most here don't care.

Well..........start the ticker tape parade I guess. Sony has "won" the gen. Right folks?