By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has overtaken WiiU Worldwide

Seece said:

WiiU: 5,760m (with similar sales to the week before added)
PS4: 5,840m (with Japan launch and similar sales to the week before added)

pretty close with the estimates the numbers from the vgchartz article

WiiU: 5,765,484

PS4: 5,847,194

Around the Network
Blouge said:

I don't understand what went wrong?

1. Release console 1 year before everyone else
2. Don't advertise at all
3. Release game every 6 months
4. ???
5. Profit! release a game that will change everything

Edit: I hope this isn't considered trolling, I love the Wii U, I just hate Nintendo's business strategy.

thats more accurate and Iwata has actually said it. crazy.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Seece said:

Oh god, give it a rest nobody cares.

Also, PS4 + XB1 are wildly ahead of PS3 + 360 in the same timeframe. It's only Nintendo that is down which leads to the assumption the whole industry is down.

As long as PS4 and Xb1 keep it up third parties will have the same userbase to appeal to as they did last gen.

They're already succeeding tho, Dead Rising a 3rd party exclusive over 1m on XB1, loads of third party games on PS4 and XB1 over 1m as well.

And if people want to celebrate, they can and will, don't force your opinions on people expecting them to feel bad about WiiU doing bad, most here don't care.

So 360 and PS3 had seriously anaemic launch periods, and therefore PS4 and XBO being "wildly ahead" means there's nothing wrong with the industry? I find it funny how certain people insist on only treating Nintendo as competing when Sony and/or MS are "ahead", but declare Nintendo as "not really part of the industry" and thus not really competing when Nintendo is "ahead". Wii U being down on Wii therefore means we can reject that part of the industry in order to claim that videogaming isn't significantly down.

And have you noticed how Wii U owners have come in here and happily congratulated the PS4 for taking the lead? It's funny how, even after how people like you have treated Nintendo gamers in the past, and how utterly absurdly you act towards them, they're still remarkably gracious and cheer any gaming system doing well. Can you honestly tell me that, if the Wii U were selling best right now, you'd be cheering it on, and saying that it's proof of gaming doing well, even if the XBO were down relative to 360?

And I find it funny how you do a comparison of launches, but ignore sales numbers beyond that. In 2011, PS3 sold about 240k and 360 sold about 170k in the equivalent week to the current one. PS4+PS3 in the last week (before the Japanese launch) was 210k and it's unlikely that PS4 sales in Japan will stabilise above 30k (based on all other system sales in recent time in Japan)*, while XBO+360 was about 85k last week.

And by the way, your launch-aligned comparisons are also inconsistent, because PS3 hadn't launched in Europe by February of the year after launch.

* As an alternate way to demonstrate my point, consider that PS3 was about 215k in 2011 without Japan, while PS3+PS4 is about 180k without Japan.

As I've said, I'm pleased with the relative success of the PS4. But no reasonable person would say that the videogame industry is healthy right now. And why did I post about that issue in here? Because it's relevant, and because there's really not much else to discuss - without discussions like this one, the only thing people would be posting would either be "congratulations PS4" or "Wow Wii U is doing badly" or variations thereof - completely useless.

Aielyn said:
Seece said:

Oh god, give it a rest nobody cares.

Also, PS4 + XB1 are wildly ahead of PS3 + 360 in the same timeframe. It's only Nintendo that is down which leads to the assumption the whole industry is down.

As long as PS4 and Xb1 keep it up third parties will have the same userbase to appeal to as they did last gen.

They're already succeeding tho, Dead Rising a 3rd party exclusive over 1m on XB1, loads of third party games on PS4 and XB1 over 1m as well.

And if people want to celebrate, they can and will, don't force your opinions on people expecting them to feel bad about WiiU doing bad, most here don't care.

So 360 and PS3 had seriously anaemic launch periods, and therefore PS4 and XBO being "wildly ahead" means there's nothing wrong with the industry? I find it funny how certain people insist on only treating Nintendo as competing when Sony and/or MS are "ahead", but declare Nintendo as "not really part of the industry" and thus not really competing when Nintendo is "ahead". Wii U being down on Wii therefore means we can reject that part of the industry in order to claim that videogaming isn't significantly down.

And have you noticed how Wii U owners have come in here and happily congratulated the PS4 for taking the lead? It's funny how, even after how people like you have treated Nintendo gamers in the past, and how utterly absurdly you act towards them, they're still remarkably gracious and cheer any gaming system doing well. Can you honestly tell me that, if the Wii U were selling best right now, you'd be cheering it on, and saying that it's proof of gaming doing well, even if the XBO were down relative to 360?

And I find it funny how you do a comparison of launches, but ignore sales numbers beyond that. In 2011, PS3 sold about 240k and 360 sold about 170k in the equivalent week to the current one. PS4+PS3 in the last week (before the Japanese launch) was 210k and it's unlikely that PS4 sales in Japan will stabilise above 30k (based on all other system sales in recent time in Japan)*, while XBO+360 was about 85k last week.

And by the way, your launch-aligned comparisons are also inconsistent, because PS3 hadn't launched in Europe by February of the year after launch.

* As an alternate way to demonstrate my point, consider that PS3 was about 215k in 2011 without Japan, while PS3+PS4 is about 180k without Japan.

As I've said, I'm pleased with the relative success of the PS4. But no reasonable person would say that the videogame industry is healthy right now. And why did I post about that issue in here? Because it's relevant, and because there's really not much else to discuss - without discussions like this one, the only thing people would be posting would either be "congratulations PS4" or "Wow Wii U is doing badly" or variations thereof - completely useless.

You're seriously comparing 2011 numbers to 2014? You'll truly spin anything to make your point. Why don't you compare the PS3 in 2007 to the PS4 in 2014. Wouldn't that make more sense considering this gen just started? When the PS4 gets to 2018 THEN we'll compare it to 2011. Thanks. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Nothing outstanding. It's like saying I can run faster than a baby.
Anyway, Nintendo needs to learn from this, but something tells me they won't.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
gcube2000 said:

Wii U has sold over 6 million confirmed by Nintendo

No it hasn't. 

yes it has it sold 5.86 million by the end of 2013. So unless the Wii U only sold less than 140k since the end of 2013 it has sold over 6 million

gcube2000 said:
Fusioncode said:
gcube2000 said:

Wii U has sold over 6 million confirmed by Nintendo

No it hasn't. 

yes it has it sold 5.86 million by the end of 2013. So unless the Wii U only sold less than 140k since the end of 2013 it has sold over 6 million

It's shipped 5.86m, not sold. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Pavolink said:

Nothing outstanding. It's like saying I can run faster than a baby.
Anyway, Nintendo needs to learn from this, but something tells me they won't.

What is it that they need to learn? To release a hard core machine with a traditional controller? Wouldn't that be Gamecube 2? 

I honestly don't think there needs to be 3 console producers on the market. Nintendo can't fit into any niche anymore because as the Wii U shows; the original wii was a fad. This is pretty common knowledge. 

Kind of ironic since most people still don't know that the WiiU is Nintendo's successor to the Wii.

I'm a little late to this topic, anyway congratulations to Sony, this was going to happen sooner or later.