By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Xbox One price cut is slightly insulting, desperate & utterly brilliant

Its a sale... not a price cut. Clearing out initial stock. On to of that, people who got an Xbox day one also got a free game.

Around the Network

I wouldn't call it utterly brilliant. It's a step in the right direction.
It's a small price cut with a digital copy of a game you can't keep playing after a month without paying another 35 pounds.

What would be brilliant is announcing a $349 XBox One at E3 with a cheap USB microphone instead of Kinect 2.0. Keep the voice commands, lose the bloated price for the as of yet useless camera, and offer the full Kinect 2.0 separate with a Kinect game pack in. Giving options is brilliant, staying the course is not.

The Xbox one was selling well but falling far behind the PS4. Something had to be done, at the "expense" of some people. If they bring it to the US (which seems quite likely) it could boost sales through the roof. It may not be the definitive answer to the Xbox one's troubles but...

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Saw this coming since XBL Silver

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

As a launch buyer I'm really not pissed off, I'd like something (who wouldn't) but don't care much if I don't get anything.

I much prefer MS trying to make the XBO a success so it doesn't fall rapidly behind and start losing out exclusives/hard to get them.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Can anyone point me to someone (a confirmed owner) who is "outraged"?

Early adopters get stiffed.

Always.

360 didn't dip below $299 for 2 years ($279 Core) when they were phasing out old (RROD ridden) models, and introducing the Arcade, Premium, and Elite.

PS3 didn't dip below $499 until 1 year after release with the 40GB model.

Wii didn't drop price for 3 years.

PS2 didn't drop price for 2 years

XB/GC dropped price in 6 months, but the PS2 was just in utter domination of them

But for the most part, the early adopters haven't been stiffed. There's a significant amount of time between launch and the first price cut. Sure, the people who buy consoles a month before the first price cut get the short end of the stick, but there isn't much other precedent to say that early adopters always get stiffed (unless you think nobody should buy a console until a year after launch to take advantage of a price cut. Because that sure would look good to MS/Sony/Ninty stockholders and developers). But in the case of the XBone getting a price cut within the first 3 months? That is stiffing the early adopter.

But in the grand scheme of things, it's only the UK. Ultimately, it's not that big a deal, since the prices are the same everywhere else. Plus apparently, the XBone is just "on sale" for the TF release, instead of being an official price cut.

kowenicki said:
Landguy said:
kowenicki said:
Can anyone point me to someone (a confirmed owner) who is "outraged"?

Early adopters get stiffed.

Always.

I myself could give a shit.

I've been using my XB1 for 3 months and have enjoyed it.  What difference does it make to me what someone else pays for it?  I've got it now and worrying about what the price is now is a waste of time.  All electronics prices go lower over time.  If they drop the Price of the XB1 now, or 6 months from now, what is the real difference?  Nothing.

Just my take...

same here.

same everywhere from the people i have spoken to.

So much of all of this. I wouldn't care if the price dropped $100. When you are an early adopter you understand this and anyone that would be "outraged" would either be ignorant to how things work or just an asshole that likes to bitch about things..........or very young :)

Either way, MS will probably come with a real price cut soon because they are getting beat down ATM. Unless Titanfall can save the day....OG Halo style.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

I think the guy who wrote this was a little over the top. I don't know anyone who is outraged, and it's not really brilliant...what else were they going to do? We all knew it was coming sooner rather than later.

Oh, and when he talks about the Xbox One selling faster than the 360, he must just mean in the UK.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

not gonna lie, i would be pretty cheesed if i bought the console at launch and the price was already dropping three months later. when i bought a wii u i was scared nintendo was going to do the same thing.

anyway, as it stands, i wont pay any higher than $300 with a couple of games for X1.

superchunk said:
Its a sale... not a price cut. Clearing out initial stock. On to of that, people who got an Xbox day one also got a free game.

How is "was £429 now £399" not a price cut?