By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 720p vs 1080p, Does Resolution matter? - A Utilitarian Perspective

Rafux said:
Goatseye said:
Rafux said:
I think is more about Xbone costing 100$ more than PS4 while being inferior hardware and multiplats are now better on Sony's console.

I'd rather pay $100 more dollars to play Halo, Forza, Gears and Titanfall. Your perceptionof better is very relative/personal and you should keep that in mind.

I said inferior hardware. I never said PS4 is better than xbone I did said MULTIPLATS are better (forgot to said tech/resolution wise)

Does it have better hardware? The answer is yes as multiplats and developers have shown.

Stronger hardware, and less hardware.

I agree that right now Kinect is largely useless.  But 2 killer apps (again, not pretending I have any idea what they would be at this point) would instantly dictate that the Xbox One has better/more useful hardware out of the box.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
freedquaker said:

d) . A simple explanation is that it would be nice to go from 640*480 to 1280*960 but not necessarily "revolutionary" at first but after getting used to the higher resolution, it would be unthinkable to go back to 640*480, which implies that the utility you got from higher resolution improved by time.

For the last 4 years I've played 720p, even 1080p PS360 games, then swapped to 480p Wii games, and far from being unthinkable, it never even bothered me.

FATALITY said:
yikes!

I don't understand - why can't the PS4 render clouds?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

MonstaTruk said:
freedquaker said:
MonstaTruk said:
FATALITY said:

Out of 4 versions of MGSV, 3 have the same resolution (720p), while the PS4 is at 4x theirs (1080p).  Some posters say "resolution doesn't matter".  What do you say?  

I grabbed Final Fantasy XIII (all three of 'em) for the PS3 despite buying most multi-plats for the Xbox 360.  Why?  Because the graphics were noticeably sharper during the FMV's in comparisons.  When there's an option for the best, especially for the same price, ALWAYS go for the best.

With that said, I look at the pic.  I downloaded the IGN comparison to watch on my TV in 1080p.  Yes, there is a difference and yes it is noticeable.  The PS4 is sharper when compared side to side with other consoles.  Even so, it's like Xbox 1 vs PS2 quality.  I could see if, for example, the difference were as vast as say a PS2 to PS3.  I look at the games and they look good regardless of if they are on PS4 or Xbox One.  A PS4 game would look right at home on the Xbox One just like an Xbox One game would look right at home on a PS4.  Yes, every comparison will favor the PS4 but at the end of the day, they both will look like 8th gen games the same way Super Nes/Genesis games will look like 4th gen games.  There is a definite difference but it's not that hard to ignore....right now.

When we get to a level where the PS4 has games that just look like they couldn't be done on an Xbox One, like how Mario Kart couldn't be done on a Sega Genesis or something, I'll change my tune.  Right now, both the PS4 and Xbox One seem to at least belong in the same league.  One of them had to be more powerful, right?  It's the PS4.  It's not as huge, IN MY OPINION, as some make it out to be, though.

Mr Puggsly said:
Danman27 said:

I would much rather see a game in 1080p still. It's just hard to tell what resolution a game is in the first time I see it is what I mean. I'd notice if I got on battlefield 4 and it was at lower than 1080p. 720p basically just looks like something has been rubbed all of the screen. And by the way, the difference between 1080 and 720 is almost the exact same ratio as 720 vs 480.

And as I said in my OP, higher resolution is obviously preferable. If I have both PS4 and X1, I would likely get the multiplat game that looks shaper and/or runs smoother.

Now you're implying you can easily tell when you're looking at 720p or 1080p. Perahps you've trained your eyes well, but you're not the average consumer.

Guessing if you're looking at 720p, 900p, or 1080p is difficult. But 480p is clear as day.

I find it very easy to spot upscaling vs native resolution. It's easier to tell when it's not 1080p than to tell whether it's upscaled from 720p or 900p. That's just the nature of LCD tech, native resolution doesn't have the softness that any upscaling adds.

Around the Network

I didn't read the OP. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Oh, and anybody on this site that doesn't have 20/20 vision, your eyes suck. You can try to upscale them with glasses but it's not the same. I can tell the difference between real 20/20 vision and your upscaled eyes.

1080p looks better than 720p its clearly noticeable

although higher res doesn't make a game play better from a certain point of view as such it just looks better

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

I think I'm going to the McDonald's across the street and buy a QuarterPounder w/cheese meal, for $4.00. Or I could buy that Quarter Pounder w/cheese alone and a cool pair of promotional glasses... ...for $7.00. Ultimately, the Quarter Pounder is a must, and I'd LIKE the glasses AND the meal, but I can't afford both meals. I guess it all depends on why I came to McDonald's in the first place. Think about that.

OT: To me, having 720p or 1080p isn't the Apocalypse of All Gaming, excuse me if I've made it out to be in my previous posts. But for me, it is about the VALUE of walking into a gaming store and getting next gen gaming nutritional VALUE. I didn't pay thousands for my TV to only be able to display what I could've paid $200 for! I've got a large 1080p HDTV, PASSED DUE TIME that I played 1080p NATIVE games. Those are MY gaming priorities for my initial purchase of a next gen console...

d21lewis said:
I didn't read the OP. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Oh, and anybody on this site that doesn't have 20/20 vision, your eyes suck. You can try to upscale them with glasses but it's not the same. I can tell the difference between real 20/20 vision and your upscaled eyes.

Nah it just trains you to more easily spot upscaled visuals. Take glasses off, the world looks blurry upscaled. Glasses on, hello sharp visuals.

starworld said:

having graphics look much clearer adds to the gameplay experiance, if your used to console gaming your already used to 720p, trying playing the wii or to a lesser extent sub hd games like crysis and halo reach, they look like a jaggie mess, once you get used 1080p gaming going back to 720p will look blurry to you.

Refer to my sig learn how 1080p impacts the gameplay experience.

Even after playing vastly superior looking 8th gen games, I had no problem going back to 7th gen because there is more to a gameplay experience than graphics.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)