By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 720p vs 1080p, Does Resolution matter? - A Utilitarian Perspective

Of course resolutions matters...It's not the end all be all, but it does matter.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
exalia said:

Okay, firstable this picture has nothing to do here.

This is not because of the resolution if the right picture is better looking but because of effects add to the ps4 version (also resolution but close to not noticeable at this size).

Secondly, you can't compare two pictures in 720p and 1080p when they are so small and on their native resolution (or smaller) (so many peoples don't understand that...) like this :

alrightiwill said:

Well TBH 640x480 is not a bad size. It's just a 4:3 480p image, most of TV history is this format. Obviously since we have gone widescreen the image would have to be 16:9(720x480) so I'll just upload a screenshot from a HQ encode of Titanic in 480p
Not too shabby is it? And this is indeed 480p albeit at 21:9 AR

Now for two different 720p images:
HQ

Not HQ

As can be seen not all 720p is created equal so this validates the point that resolution isn't the most important thing with regards to quality.

This is complete bullshit. Of course this will be close to not noticeable in that case. They are smaller than their native resolution. Are you dumb ?

If you open both pictures in a new tab, the 720 is already way better than 480p even if it's not 720p natif. Now, upscale these two pictures in 1080p and compare them full screen. The 720p will look so much better. Even if both of them looks like shit on a 1080p screen.

[EDIT: http://i.imgur.com/MvhYpD5.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/nmXuoob.png Open them both in new tab and zoom. Now switch tab to compare. Do you spot the differences ? I don't have a 1080p version of that but it would have look so much better that these pixels. This is a poor encoding btw]

That is what we're talking about. On a 1080p Tv (even a small one, but of course the bigger the tv is, the bigger 720p will looks like crap) the difference is hightly noticeable for everyone. Stop trying to compare them on their native resolution ! You need to upscale the 720p picture to 1080p in order to compare them, and then looking at them on full screen. Even if you don't have a big screen you will easly spot the differences.

It's the same thing on youtube for exemple, the small rectangle is always better looking than in full screen. Unless you watch videos in 1080p you lucky guy.

Now, does it matter ? I think everyone can decide that by themself. It matter to me. I'm used to. I can't watch 720p anymore, it bother me.

On a really big screen, it will be really important.

I'm afraid you misunderstood the point I was aiming for. I am NOT saying that 720p is better than 1080p. I was trying to point out that there are other more important factors than resolution in producing a quality image. The two 720p images were to show the difference between a good 720p image and a bad one.

Also, the two images you linked, you converted to a 16:9 ratio from a 21:9 XD You notice the difference between 720p and 1080p so easily but can't tell different ARs? Also instead of being rude, if you had read through the thread you would have seen where I already posted a link showing where higher resolutions have their advantages from certain distances on screens of certain size and that only with my opinion and admitedly poor sight that I find it difficult myself.

alrightiwill said:
For myself I can't tell the difference between 1080p and 720p. Maybe I'm just too far away from the screen or the screen is too small but that's just how I am.

However, I can easily notice the difference between low quality 720p and high quality. A big black square will look the same but can be 720p or 1080p without being able to tell the difference so you just have to focus on the textures being presented. a good quality 720p image will look nicer than a poor quality 1080p image

This is not always true.  Eventually the extra detail is not noticable without the extra pixels.  Believe me BF4 at medium looks the same as ultra in 720p.

Captain_Tom said:
alrightiwill said:
For myself I can't tell the difference between 1080p and 720p. Maybe I'm just too far away from the screen or the screen is too small but that's just how I am.

However, I can easily notice the difference between low quality 720p and high quality. A big black square will look the same but can be 720p or 1080p without being able to tell the difference so you just have to focus on the textures being presented. a good quality 720p image will look nicer than a poor quality 1080p image

This is not always true.  Eventually the extra detail is not noticable without the extra pixels.  Believe me BF4 at medium looks the same as ultra in 720p.

Oh I definetely believe you :) My wording was a bit ambigious basically in saying that a bad image looks worse than the good one :p So with your example, the 1080p is not bad enough ;) I know 1080p is superior to 720p. If you notice the differences great, you are perceptive. I just can't :(

Goatseye said:
Rafux said:
Goatseye said:
Rafux said:
I think is more about Xbone costing 100$ more than PS4 while being inferior hardware and multiplats are now better on Sony's console.

I'd rather pay $100 more dollars to play Halo, Forza, Gears and Titanfall. Your perceptionof better is very relative/personal and you should keep that in mind.

I said inferior hardware. I never said PS4 is better than xbone I did said MULTIPLATS are better (forgot to said tech/resolution wise)

Does it have better hardware? The answer is yes as multiplats and developers have shown.

Ok... Ryse is still the best looking game on the next gen consoles and it is on the inferior hardware.

What ever makes you feel better :)

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
Of course resolutions matters...It's not the end all be all, but it does matter.

When you say it "is not the end all be all" do you mean from a graphics perspective or from how enjoyable the game is? Because resolution is by far the most important factor to graphics.

Most games look better at med settings at 1080p than ultra at 720p. Resolution is the end all of graphics. I do not run anything below 1080p on my PC.

Does being below 1080p "ruin" a game? No. I have played BF4 on an PS4 and an Xbox One (900p vs 720p) and I could not spot the differences without searching for them. 1080p is a large jump up from 900p though, sadly that is the only game I have played on both platforms

The biggest advantage resolution has in video games is the higher the resolution the more easily it smooths out aliasing isssues. 1080p is going to be MUCH better in this regard than 720p or even 900p though the difference between 900 and 1080 is rather small.

Resolution is a much bigger deal than many in this thread are saying. Im not sure its on purpose though as I think most people struggle with understanding image quality in general and what to look for. Many times I've seen someone say a game with vastly inferior image quality looks "better" than the higher fidelity image. This usually comes down to art style and setting, but personally I just can't stand bad image quality in general anymore, and its the biggest turn off for me in terms of graphics. I would much rather trade off some effects for great anti aliasing and high resolutions.

d21lewis said:
alrightiwill said:
Completely off-topic but as for atmospheric simulation, I always wanted FPS games online maps to have dynamic weather and time. It would add so many different varieties of the same maps adding extra gameplay value. Hopefully MGSV is the first of many games with that sort of idea :)

Same here.  They said the Wii would do that with its Wii Connect 24 feature and I seem to recall zero games actually taking advantage of it.  Things like that are what excite me and only a few companies seem willing to explore.  Kojima one made a game where you needed to harness actual sunlight.  He's probably going to be the one that thinks outside of the box while everyone else follows suit.

The only game I am aware of that used real time wether was Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10.  You could turn it on and play in the real weather conditions for the course you were playing on.  I never actually used it.

I don't know if it was done on other consoles or other years.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

rolltide101x said:
Normchacho said:

When you say it "is not the end all be all" do you mean from a graphics perspective or from how enjoyable the game is? Because resolution is by far the most important factor to graphics.

Most games look better at med settings at 1080p than ultra at 720p. Resolution is the end all of graphics. I do not run anything below 1080p on my PC.

Does being below 1080p "ruin" a game? No. I have played BF4 on an PS4 and an Xbox One (900p vs 720p) and I could not spot the differences without searching for them. 1080p is a large jump up from 900p though, sadly that is the only game I have played on both platforms

Well, both really. It's true that resolution makes a big difference in clarity but things like modeling and detail make up a good chunk of graphic quality too. As well as subjective things like art-style.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

rolltide101x said:
Goatseye said:

Ok... Ryse is still the best looking game on the next gen consoles and it is on the inferior hardware.

What ever makes you feel better :)

^ That makes me feel better.

Thanks for the concern though.