By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is 2D Platformers still worth $60?

JayWood2010 said:

In other words, if it didnt have an already well known mascot how would you feel about a new ip $60 2D platformer?

Good question, I think no chance.

Around the Network

Value should be based off quality, not genre. One 2D game may be worth paying 60$, while another isn't worth the gaming disc it's embedded on. I feel as though this is how every game should be treated.

I would also like to point out that Indie developers also make 3D adventure/platformers/puzzle games/etc. that are all less expensive than their "AAA" developer counterparts. This isn't exclusive to 2D Platformers.

Genre has nothing to do with asking price of a game. Content and replayability do and that applies to every genre. There is more than enough Hollywood garbage out there waay over asking price in other genres. Like I cant believe people bought original Uncharted and Heavenly Sword for 60.

I've yet to find any indie game whose quality is similar to a top-notch 2D platformer. Even the best indie platformers (Super Meat Boy, VVVVVV, etc.) aren't up to snuff.

Depends on the game. If it is like NSMB then no. If it is like Rayman and DKC then yes.

Around the Network

rayman legends worth 60$(i didnt pay that, but after playing it, i would pay 60$)
i expect the same for DKCTF.

Sighhh, I hate to pay $55 (plus tax) cause Canadian dollars is lolz :(

But yea, if TitanFall can get away with charging $60 for multiplayer only experience, DK is defiantly worth it

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

For me, I will absolutely still pay full price for a good 2D platformer. I spent a ton of time last gen with NSMB Wii, DKC Returns, and Muramasa: The Demon Blade.  Likely well over 100 hours combined.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Quality is quality. Doesn't matter what genre it is. There are some truly terrible games that have cost a lot of money to make, but it doesn't mean they're worth the $60 price tag.

I never liked the idea of 60$ games in the first place, so I'm inclined to say no. It's not just for platformers, though. The majority of these 5-7 hour long games aren't worth 60$ to be perfectly honest. Games are just over priced in general these days.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!