By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is Halo still big enough to save the X1?

Nope. Kinect-based games will save the Xbox One! After all, Microsoft thinks that the Kinect is  part of the " future of gaming", so they must be right!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
endimion said:
What saving...??? Xbox one is still the most profitable console MS did... It doesn't need saving what so ever... It'll be just fine don't worry...

By "saving" i believe he is talking in regards to the X1's rather awful weekly sales.

Enspire said:
zorg1000 said:
I hate when people use the term save without defining what they mean by it. Does it mean get 1st place? Prevent it from getting discontinued? Sell a specific amount lifetime? Increase weekly sales to over 100k? Until u actually state what ur criteria is for being saved, nobody can actually give a legitimate answer.

With that said, the way I see Halo is similar to the big Nintendo franchises, it will sell incredibly well despite a small install base. The original Halo sold over 6 million and Halo 2 sold over 8 million on a console with an install base under 25 million, just like Mario Kart & Smash Bros were able to sell about 7 million each on an install base just over 20 million.

I feel like this gen is going back to 6th gen levels to an extent. Nintendo no longer has a huge casual craze and the reason why 360 was able to split the PS2 crowd in half was due to the price advantage, headstart, superior online and superior 3rd multiplats in the first half of the gen and had Kinect to push sales in the second half, it no longer has any of those advantages and Kinect just like Wii was a casual craze for a few years then people moved on.

PS4 will most likely dominate this generation while Wii U and One fight for a distant 2nd place. Halo will help sales but it wont be a game changer that pushes it close to PS4.

I disagree,  original xbox had a weird ass remote and was huge and just not really nice, thats why the ps2 was so sucessful. The 360 was great, it created a huge fanbase for xbox and a lot of love from its fans. Before xbox one was announced Most ps3 users were saying they were getting a xbox next gen (at least here in North america). The xbox one just had a really bad PR at first, and then a lot of damage was done for launch especially with a 100$ extra pricetag. If xbox wouldve done things like the 360, xbox wouldve got an even firmer grip on NA and UK.

edit: i mean by this that the xbone could still change, and wouldnt be that much of a "distant second"

So the main reason for Xbox selling so low compared to PS2 was the controller? Cuz thats the only reason u gave. Also how many of the 25m+ PS3 owners in America said that? Im not trying to sound rude but u totally just made that up.

PS3 has outsold 360 in Japan+Europe+Others by 20m and growing, without the 1-1.5 year headstart and significant price advantage the gap would be much larger in these regions. PS4 is $100 cheaper and in general a stronger brand in these regions, we can probably expect a 30-40m lead for PS4 in Japan+Europe+Others.

America is literally the only major region that kept the contest close, 360 has almost a 20m lead here which almost cancels out the PS3 lead in every other region. The thing u have to consider is that us Americans are not loyal to brands at all when it comes to consoles. 2nd gen was dominated by Atari, 3rd gen by Nintendo, 4th gen was a battle between Nintendo/Sega, 5th/6th gen Sony dominated and 7th gen Nintendo dominated the first half with Microsoft dominating the second half. Just because 360 did extremely well in America does not mean One will.

What caused 360 to do so well compared to PS3 in America? Headstart/price/multiplats/online/Kinect. For the first few years 360 had a $200 price advantage, the best versions of mulitplats with many of them releasing earlier, Xbox Live was much superior to PSN. If u look at the yearly sales, in 2009 PS3 came very close to 360 in this region. This just so happens to be the year PS3 finally hit $299 and was within the 360 price range and mulitplats/online were starting to catch up, this also happens to be the year 360 was down year over year. The following year Kinect was released giving 360 a huge boost for the next 2 years, without Kinect its likely sales would have continued to drop.

This gen neither has a headstart, PS4 Is cheaper with the best multiplats, there is no huge online advantage for either and Kinect no longer has that casual appeal. PS4 is currently selling much better in America and there is currently nothing that shows this will change. Xbox exclusives like wont do the trick. Halo is by far the biggest Xbox exclusive and the best selling title on 360 saw a 1 million increase over the best selling Halo on the original Xbox despite 360 having triple the install base. One can be competitive In this region but PS4 will likely edge It out.

All in all unless Microsoft comes up with a big game changer we are probably looking at a 30-50 million lead for PS4, which would One in a distant 2nd.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Price cuts will save the Xbox One, not a single game.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Did Halo save the og Xbox 1? Halo will still sell multi million copies but like CoD I think both franchises have peaked. I didnt hear good things about Halo 4 from the Halo community, they say 343i did awful decisions with the game and the daily population stats prove it is almost abandoned:
http://halocharts.com/2013/playlists_halo4.php

Around the Network
Enspire said:
ktay95 said:
Enspire said:
Depends what you mean by "saving". It is going to boost its sales for sure, halo is still the biggest exclusive between ps and xbox.

You forget Gran Turismo. Its definitely bigger than Halo even if Sony are trying to kill the series by putting the new game on PS3 -_-

Oh yeah right. Where did that 10mil come from though? I have a bunch of friends that have uncharted or god of war but barely any play gran turismo?!?

From Europe and rest of the world. Here Gran Turismo is up there with GTA and CoD. Halo isn't that big outside the US.

Gran Turismo 1-5: 29.36 mill = 5.87 mill on avg.

Halo 1-4 + Reach + ODST: 14.13 mill = 2.36 mill on avg. (2.41 on avg. without Reach and ODST)

Turkish said:
Did Halo save the og Xbox 1? Halo will still sell multi million copies but like CoD I think both franchises have peaked. I didnt hear good things about Halo 4 from the Halo community, they say 343i did awful decisions with the game and the daily population stats prove it is almost abandoned:
http://halocharts.com/2013/playlists_halo4.php

You do understand that is the daily peak, not daily uniques. Hence, there might be a couple hundred thousand people playing every 24 hours. On top of that, you're ignoring Halo 3 and Reach still have a pretty healthy online population.

Halo 4 is great, it sold really well, and its still one of the most popular online games on a console.

I like that MS is open about Halo's population. But I hate that Sony fans keep using it to prove the series is dead.

If Uncharted and Killzone would simply show their population the Halo numbers would look amazing in comparison.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Xbox One doesn't need saving. It is the 2nd fastest selling console in history and approaching 4 million sales after only 3 months is great. Did the 360 and PS3 need saving when they got off to much slower starts?

Save the Xbox One from what exactly?

Not being the number one selling console of a generation is the the equivalent of death?

If you look at the Xbox One sales numbers by themselves there great and its only by comparison to the PS4's Amazing numbers that they start to come up short.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

It's so weird seeing how ill-informed so many people on this site are considering the sales/popularity of video games are the main reasons to come to this site over others.

1. Halo is a much bigger franchise than GT even if most of its sales come from the US. It doesn't depend on bundling to sell 10m+, only GT3 would've achieved such sales without bundling.

2. People point to Halo 4 saying it didn't help the series maintain high public interest or whatever, the last time I checked it sold around 9m at retail (with very little bundling) and has probably sold between 10-11m including digital. It's still huge.

3. No, Halo 5 alone won't save the Xbox One. The only franchise that would be big enough to save a console would be an exclusive GTA game, which will never happen.

4. How can we say the Xbox One needs saving already? It'll do fine  I think after a price cut and more worthwhile exclusives come along.