By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is Halo still big enough to save the X1?

ktay95 said:
Enspire said:
ktay95 said:
Enspire said:
Depends what you mean by "saving". It is going to boost its sales for sure, halo is still the biggest exclusive between ps and xbox.

You forget Gran Turismo. Its definitely bigger than Halo even if Sony are trying to kill the series by putting the new game on PS3 -_-

Oh yeah right. Where did that 10mil come

from though? I have a bunch of friends that have uncharted or god of war but barely any play gran turismo?!?

Yeah I play GT but I swear Im the only guy I know that does and yet so many smaller franchises seem to have so many more of my mates playing them

Agreed

Around the Network

Just one game will never save a console
I think Xbox one will be save with a price cut ,3rd party games and big Microsoft ip but will never win against ps4

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

I hate when people use the term save without defining what they mean by it. Does it mean get 1st place? Prevent it from getting discontinued? Sell a specific amount lifetime? Increase weekly sales to over 100k? Until u actually state what ur criteria is for being saved, nobody can actually give a legitimate answer.

With that said, the way I see Halo is similar to the big Nintendo franchises, it will sell incredibly well despite a small install base. The original Halo sold over 6 million and Halo 2 sold over 8 million on a console with an install base under 25 million, just like Mario Kart & Smash Bros were able to sell about 7 million each on an install base just over 20 million.

I feel like this gen is going back to 6th gen levels to an extent. Nintendo no longer has a huge casual craze and the reason why 360 was able to split the PS2 crowd in half was due to the price advantage, headstart, superior online and superior 3rd multiplats in the first half of the gen and had Kinect to push sales in the second half, it no longer has any of those advantages and Kinect just like Wii was a casual craze for a few years then people moved on.

PS4 will most likely dominate this generation while Wii U and One fight for a distant 2nd place. Halo will help sales but it wont be a game changer that pushes it close to PS4.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It will not save the console, but the franchise is still very strong, seeing as Halo 4 is extremely successful. It will generate very strong sales for X1 upon release.

zorg1000 said:
I hate when people use the term save without defining what they mean by it. Does it mean get 1st place? Prevent it from getting discontinued? Sell a specific amount lifetime? Increase weekly sales to over 100k? Until u actually state what ur criteria is for being saved, nobody can actually give a legitimate answer.

With that said, the way I see Halo is similar to the big Nintendo franchises, it will sell incredibly well despite a small install base. The original Halo sold over 6 million and Halo 2 sold over 8 million on a console with an install base under 25 million, just like Mario Kart & Smash Bros were able to sell about 7 million each on an install base just over 20 million.

I feel like this gen is going back to 6th gen levels to an extent. Nintendo no longer has a huge casual craze and the reason why 360 was able to split the PS2 crowd in half was due to the price advantage, headstart, superior online and superior 3rd multiplats in the first half of the gen and had Kinect to push sales in the second half, it no longer has any of those advantages and Kinect just like Wii was a casual craze for a few years then people moved on.

PS4 will most likely dominate this generation while Wii U and One fight for a distant 2nd place. Halo will help sales but it wont be a game changer that pushes it close to PS4.

I disagree,  original xbox had a weird ass remote and was huge and just not really nice, thats why the ps2 was so sucessful. The 360 was great, it created a huge fanbase for xbox and a lot of love from its fans. Before xbox one was announced Most ps3 users were saying they were getting a xbox next gen (at least here in North america). The xbox one just had a really bad PR at first, and then a lot of damage was done for launch especially with a 100$ extra pricetag. If xbox wouldve done things like the 360, xbox wouldve got an even firmer grip on NA and UK.

edit: i mean by this that the xbone could still change, and wouldnt be that much of a "distant second"

Around the Network
Enspire said:
ktay95 said:
Enspire said:
Depends what you mean by "saving". It is going to boost its sales for sure, halo is still the biggest exclusive between ps and xbox.

You forget Gran Turismo. Its definitely bigger than Halo even if Sony are trying to kill the series by putting the new game on PS3 -_-

from though? I have a bunch of friends that have uncharted or god of war but barely any play gran turismo?!?

I don't know from where you are, but Gran Turismo is THE driver game in Europe and Japan. And has a lot of fans in the "casual" market. Besides there is still plenty of people playing online.

leyendax69 said:
Enspire said:
ktay95 said:
Enspire said:

I don't know from where you are, but Gran Turismo is THE driver game in Europe and Japan. And has a lot of fans in the "casual" market. Besides there is still plenty of people playing online.

Im from canada.

it certainly might be The racing game, but racing doesnt feel very big in my

opinion. 

ktay95 said:
Enspire said:

I wouldn't say its bigger, at least not in the 7th generation. I will say they are both similar in fanbase sizes but Halo was bigger last generation. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Enspire said:
leyendax69 said:
Enspire said:
ktay95 said:
Enspire said:

Im from canada.

it certainly might be The racing game, but racing doesnt feel very big in my

opinion. 

Not sure what you meant with that tbh. My point is, Gran Turismo is comparable to halo if we talk about sales so you can't say "Where did that 10mil come from?" , when the series has been selling 10+ millions since the first game.

Many of those Halo fans already bought X1, so no, unless it would be no Halo at all(something entirely new and exceptional).

Nintendo 2018

English is not my native language.