By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3: 10million, 4 months b4 360's 10million

Kasz216 said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Kasz216 said:

Only when you don't adjust for the fact that the PS2 was out in Japan only for 7 months. When you Align launches by region instead of world wide you see the PS3 is actually very behind the PS2 everywhere.

Edit: Charts for Proof. (With 360 thrown in)

Ugh..site is slow...

But yeah, OK more behind PS2 by that metric. PS2 is Sony's unique victory. Said it before and will say it again: to call consoles that fall short of PS2 "failures" or whatever is BS. That's my point in general. So even IF PS3 and 360 have sold slower than PS2 (or Wii), they're not falures for that reason, etc. These are businesses we are talking about, here. Companies like profits even if they'd always prefer more. [By the way, why not use worldwide figures still? I wonder. If there were supply issues for one console more than the other, that's a negative for the console with supply issues. No free passes for "not released in certain regions" when the real reason is "didn't have the infrastructure to produce it".]

Since PS3 will generate Blu-Ray royalties and video/game download sales by gen end, PS3 will be very successful. Games independently: also very succesful.

The existence of PS2 just means that Sony pwned the world back then. Anything less is a failure? Seriously, there are few words for the blatant fanboy FUD behind that logic. Yet it keeps popping up.

I don't know. Blu-ray royalties are expected to be much less then DVD as a number of companys were fighting back at how overpirced DVD royalties were... a standard deal with signficantly less royalties will be likely needed if blu-ray wants non sony movie studios to get on board with the majority of their movies... and Sony owns less then half of the rights to blu-ray royalties.

Blu-ray will make money, but it will be nowhere near the level that DVDs or CDs made people.

That's the risk you run with Loss Leading... if you lose, you lose big... Sony luckily can afford it unlike Sega.

Then again it may make Blu-ray look like less of a failure. They aren't selling really outside of the PS3... even after running HD-DVD out of the market.

http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/35730

The reason for this is because the standard medium is still DVD's. Now that Blu-Ray has won that format war, I expect sales to pick up by the fourth quarter. 

Proud Owner of all 3 current-gen systems

Currently Playing:
SSBB, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, MKWii, GTA IV (360), MGS4, DQIV, Jeanne d'Arc, FFVII: Crisis Core, Chrono Trigger (PSX)

Mario Kart FC: 4897-6731-4375
SSBB FC: 1504-5406-8515
Wii Friends Code: 1020-2726-1535-3964

XBL:
PhatLaosBoi
PSN: PhatLaosBoi

Around the Network
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Kasz216 said:

Only when you don't adjust for the fact that the PS2 was out in Japan only for 7 months. When you Align launches by region instead of world wide you see the PS3 is actually very behind the PS2 everywhere.

Edit: Charts for Proof. (With 360 thrown in)

Ugh..site is slow...

But yeah, OK more behind PS2 by that metric. PS2 is Sony's unique victory. Said it before and will say it again: to call consoles that fall short of PS2 "failures" or whatever is BS. That's my point in general. So even IF PS3 and 360 have sold slower than PS2 (or Wii), they're not falures for that reason, etc. These are businesses we are talking about, here. Companies like profits even if they'd always prefer more. [By the way, why not use worldwide figures still? I wonder. If there were supply issues for one console more than the other, that's a negative for the console with supply issues. No free passes for "not released in certain regions" when the real reason is "didn't have the infrastructure to produce it".]

Since PS3 will generate Blu-Ray royalties and video/game download sales by gen end, PS3 will be very successful. Games independently: also very succesful.

The existence of PS2 just means that Sony pwned the world back then. Anything less is a failure? Seriously, there are few words for the blatant fanboy FUD behind that logic. Yet it keeps popping up.

When reading this I thought of the line from Star Wars 3  "Only Sith's deal in absolutes."  I agree though, make money = win.  Making more money = bigger winner.

According to analysts PS3 will comfortably outsell the 360 for 2008.
http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=159668

PS3 will sell 11.5 million hardware for the year compared to the 360 only 8 million hardware. 

I love it when some people tell that there wasn't a lag in 360 sales, namely
****c****.

I can tell you this now. 360 isn't selling hot right now. It's already being outsold by PS3.

I think Sony's strategy is not making a console that sells well on release, but one that has the hardware capabilities to last a long time..sure, PS3 has a steep price but the average consumer wont realise what a bargain it is when you factor in the blu-ray, HDD ect.

also, i think the average casual gamer isn't likely to get an xbox because the PS and nitendo are the ones that are going to pull the crowds with novelty and party games. But the PS3 has the advantage over wii of being a console for both the hardcore and casual gamers.

the way i see it is..

360 for hardcore
wii for casual (especially grandparents ect.)
PS3 for both (sure it's not as casual as wii but the PS party games from last gen were a big selling point for the PS2)

PSN ID: OverDrivve

"They wanted success, and they wanted it no later than teatime friday" - Mick Rock

Around the Network

Second place = first loser.

Well I thought PS3 would pick up eventually. I would still like it to become more popular and sell better later on in its life. Even if it doesn't become massively popular like the PS2, I think the PS3 will continue to do well with the release of a few more high profile games and when it becomes more affordable. For a console that is quite expensive it has done pretty well. I hope the console sees continued success.

madskillz said:

I see you lost that GTA IV bet uh? :(