By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Irrational Games are "winding down"; all but 15 staff laid off [edit: Gamasutra - Bioshock Infinite didn't sell enough]

Tagged games:

wfz said:
I wonder why he didn't find a replacement and leave. Was it necessary to shut down the entire company?

sounds like he's taking the key players with him.   a studio is just a name, it's the people that make the games good.  if all the good people are leaving it's probably better to just shut the studio down than the appoint someone to create what will probably be a bad/unprofitable venture.

Around the Network

anybody ! wat is the reason for closing the studio? cause no where did I see financial problems or anything?

fatslob-:O said:
DJEVOLVE said:

Brought to you by Gamestop and people who buy used games. That $5 off was worth it huh. I can say I own over 80 Games all bought from the  developers. Some I waited until they dropped in price or a black friday sale but all gave money to the studio.

Stop blaming used games ... Used games that are bought are of lower quality games and therefore the developers should be ashamed of the monstrosity that they created.

Thanks for your comment,

Please drive through.

Yea cause everyone loves burning money, You make a great game, well it didn't get noticed until Gamestop had full stock of used games. That caused it fatslob.

This is what the AAA model does. Every game can't sell 5 million copies. Most games aren't likely to break 100k. Even if you have a mature IP, a great development team and great marketers it's still just a high profile risk.

When you have that much money going into a single title and you are without the means to diversify your output it only takes 1 or 2 failures before your team is done for. This is probably why Sony has been able to manage PS+. Developers and Publishers are starving for more income in some cases only 6 months after the game has been released.

We are going to see far more developrs go digital only. You simply make way better margins and marketing is cheaper. In most online markets developers themselves can get 70% of the sale price. They get not even 20% of the price of a retail title.

I hope console makers are making their platforms very enticing for digital cause I know iOS and android offer 70%. Not so sure about PSN, XBL, EShop. I know SE doesn't seem to care to put their mobile stuff on PSN.

kitler53 said:
wfz said:
I wonder why he didn't find a replacement and leave. Was it necessary to shut down the entire company?

sounds like he's taking the key players with him.   a studio is just a name, it's the people that make the games good.  if all the good people are leaving it's probably better to just shut the studio down than the appoint someone to create what will probably be a bad/unprofitable venture.

If you don't make the best game or a game that didn't get noticed fast enough, gamestop will have full stock and you are fucked.

All game companies know this and know better. You will see a lot more of this. They will leave before something new to cut all risk, also only digital, HMmmmmmmmmmmm Can't be sold used, wonder why they would do that?

I have said this since I got here, Gamestop is destroying the industry but people just don't care. No they didn't lose money but new games can and usually do. No one wants that risk, unless you got EA or a megaton in the bank.

Around the Network
osed125 said:

First Zero Escape 2 might not become a reality and now this....I'm going to jump off a cliff brb.

.......But you won't be back.

OT: I honestly think the Bioshock series is overhyped, but it's a shame that some many people are losing their jobs.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

DJEVOLVE said:

Brought to you by Gamestop and people who buy used games. That $5 off was worth it huh. I can say I own over 80 Games all bought from the  developers. Some I waited until they dropped in price or a black friday sale but all gave money to the studio.

I think you make a good point, and I always do the same, and I'm sure we are not the only ones.  The problem is the amount of 'casual' gamers that buy preowned and they are not gonna stop doing so just because a studio they probably know nothing about closes down.  As someone who likes to collect physical games, its a shame to say, but at times like this an all digital future would help in this situation.

DJEVOLVE said:
DJEVOLVE said:

Stop blaming used games ... Used games that are bought are of lower quality games and therefore the developers should be ashamed of the monstrosity that they created.

Thanks for your comment,

Please drive through.

Yea cause everyone loves burning money, You make a great game, well it didn't get noticed until Gamestop had full stock of used games. That caused it fatslob.

Well that was a stupid idea seeing as how most game sales happen within 6 months at a price of $60. 

Well that was a stupid idea seeing as how most game sales happen within 6 months at a price of $60. 

When do yo think gamestop gets most of it's used copies and sells most of it's used copies?

give you a guess, the first 6 months. Why do you think they always advertise the shit out of new game buyouts?

Good one fatslob, good one. Next time think about it before you comment. Better yet, eat the burger.

This is because they know what you just said, HEY you just figured out something about sales. YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Well, nothing is Infinite... Biollmeans, as long as you can Ken keep on Levin(e). The gaming industry is Adam hard market today, this will certainly give quite a few gamers a Shock, but perhaps they will have their Vengeance, come back by Force and SWAT the other developers like flies.