By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My girlfriend's art teacher said video games are not art. Do you agree?

She is just jelly.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

Tell your girlfriend's art teacher that d21lewis said: She's an art teacher. An ART TEACHER.

She should shut the fuck up, then. And for the record, I've played some fascinating and beautiful games but I don't know if I would call them art. I used to want them to be art. Hell, I even thought they were art. Right now, I don't. Maybe my opinion will change by lunch time.

Of course games are art. Like with all forms of art, some have more artistic depth than others. The art teacher is just ignorant and probably thinks games are just Call of Duty and Mario. Nothing but art snobbery.

rolltide101x said:
Anfebious said:

Sure they are, but I hate it when a game tries to go beyond that and sacrifice gameplay for that. Journey is a good example of that, the game looks gorgeous but I felt no fun playing that game.

I loved every bit of Journey, brillant game in my opinion

I also liked Journey because of the exploration part. Not every game needs some sort of violence to be a game. I mean  jumping on litlle mushrooms in Mario is also some kind of violence ;).  Handholding is also no requirement of being a game.

When I played journey I felt like I was some "person" that lost his memory and and that was dropped into a strange world that aimlessly wandered around to explore the world and to find out what the purpose of simply everything is.

So I agree everything I played about Journey was cool.

When one expects a linear story with cutscenes then its somewhat obvious why they felt let down by Journey tho.

My uncle's cousin said video games are eevil. I said ok.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Even the definition of 'Art' means that games are 'art'. However I think what he means like if it's considered art (like it could be exhibited, even that doesn't make sense).

I'm sure whatever music is produced by Jason Derulo is art but it's not Beethoven's Symphony No5.
I can paint a picture, it is art but it's not a Dali masterpeice.

Of course he's wrong and should be made to realise this truth, his words could be insulting to an inspiring writer, designer or musician who just happens to try to get into the games industry.

My girlfriend actually wants to become a digital artist eventually but for now she is concentrating on physical.

By that logic, music is not art, films are not art, books are not art, and even some art is.........not art.

Video Games are new. It took decades for movies to be considered art.

Xen said:
By that logic, music is not art, films are not art, books are not art, and even some art is.........not art.

lol I like that "and even some art is..........not art"

rolltide101x said:
Xen said:

lol I like that "and even some art is..........not art"

Hah. I couldn't say it any other way, though.

Like RenCutypoison said, it'll take a while longer for games to be widely perceived as an art form.