By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo offer an optional WiiU SKU without the Gamepad?

Should Nintendo offer a WiiU SKU without the Gamepad?

Yes, their best option at this point. 164 47.13%

No, the negatives outweigh the cheaper price. 183 52.59%

Total:347

A gamepad less Wii U SKU could help rake in profits in the short term, not so much in the long term though.

Around the Network

If you look at the Wii-U box, you could think the Wii-U is some kind of tablet that you cannot connect to your TV, it looks like an over sized 3DS. If somebody wants to buy a video game console, he wont buy a Wii-U because he does not think it is a video game console.

Darc Requiem said:
archbrix said:
Darc Requiem said:
Posting this thread topic should be a bannable offense at this point. Someone posts it every other day.

Right... because wanting to see Nintendo do better is a bannable offense.  SMH.

Regurgitating the same topic over and over again is going to help Nintendo how? It's beating a dead horse. What's been said here that hasn't said in all of the other threads about the exact same topic?  

What my OP is suggesting could return Nintendo to profiting, that's how.

As for what's different about what I'm proposing, why don't you provide links to the other threads you are referencing (shouldn't be difficult since there's one every other day, according to you) and then I'll answer that question.

Zero999 said:
archbrix said:
Fusioncode said:
Zero999 said:

he game a link saying how much nintendo was CHARGING for a replacement =/= how much the thing COSTS.

this isn't the first time you barge into the conversation with nothing relevant to add. think this through the next time.

I'm stil waiting for your source that the Gamepad costs 50$. And once again, saying things like "think this through next time" is rude and adds nothing to the conversation. 

Yep, I'm still waiting for that as well.

We do know two things:  Historically, Nintendo tries to make profit day one on their hardware and they try to price their hardware affordably.  With the 3DS, they were profiting when it launched at $250; kinda pushing it as far as affordability, which resulted in the price having to be slashed to $169.  Only then was it selling at a loss.

The WiiU, on the other hand, was selling at a loss when it launched at $350 - a price that is a full $100 more than any Nintendo system before it.  Logically, I don't see what would have resulted in Ninty pricing a console of theirs so much higher and still sold at a loss other than the inclusion of the Gamepad.

bolded: hint, the hardware. and the basic sku was 299.

So you have no source? Third time I'm asking by the way. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

archbrix said:
Zero999 said:

Yes, but it was also sold at a loss while retailing for more than any Nintendo system before it.

different times.

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
Zero999 said:
archbrix said:
Fusioncode said:
Zero999 said:

he game a link saying how much nintendo was CHARGING for a replacement =/= how much the thing COSTS.

this isn't the first time you barge into the conversation with nothing relevant to add. think this through the next time.

I'm stil waiting for your source that the Gamepad costs 50$. And once again, saying things like "think this through next time" is rude and adds nothing to the conversation. 

Yep, I'm still waiting for that as well.

We do know two things:  Historically, Nintendo tries to make profit day one on their hardware and they try to price their hardware affordably.  With the 3DS, they were profiting when it launched at $250; kinda pushing it as far as affordability, which resulted in the price having to be slashed to $169.  Only then was it selling at a loss.

The WiiU, on the other hand, was selling at a loss when it launched at $350 - a price that is a full $100 more than any Nintendo system before it.  Logically, I don't see what would have resulted in Ninty pricing a console of theirs so much higher and still sold at a loss other than the inclusion of the Gamepad.

So you have no source? Third time I'm asking by the way. 

Zero is right, its clearly the hardware and not the Gamepad that causes Wii U to sell for $299 at a loss.

PS3/360 each sell for $199 at a profit, ill throw out some random figures and say $25 profit for PS3/360 and $25 loss for Wii U. The hardware in Wii U Is so much more powerful that It costs $150 more than PS3/360.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Zero999 said:
archbrix said:

Yes, but it was also sold at a loss while retailing for more than any Nintendo system before it.

different times.

The NES and the Wii were at different times too, yet they still followed Nintendo's two basic rules:  Affordable hardware sold at a profit.

To my knowledge, the only Nintendo system - console or handheld - that ever launched at a loss was the Gamecube, which was said to be around a $9 loss.  However, the Cube was a performance beast for its time and it still launched at a mass market price.  

The WiiU, on the other hand, is not on par with the other 8th gen consoles from a tech standpoint, still launched at their highest price ever and sold at a loss.  The reason?  The inclusion of the Gamepad.

Maybe the NFC game they have coming will make the Gamepad a must have.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

While I get the appeal of a kid being able to pick up the controller and do NFC stuff in his game without having to turn on the TV ... there's no reason Nintendo couldn't skip a new SKU of the Wii U with new Pro Controller that has an NFC chip built in. It's just a chip. 

Soundwave said:

While I get the appeal of a kid being able to pick up the controller and do NFC stuff in his game without having to turn on the TV ... there's no reason Nintendo couldn't skip a new SKU of the Wii U with new Pro Controller that has an NFC chip built in. It's just a chip. 

True I just feel they will to make people think this game wouldnt be possible without the Gamepad