By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo offer an optional WiiU SKU without the Gamepad?

Should Nintendo offer a WiiU SKU without the Gamepad?

Yes, their best option at this point. 164 47.13%

No, the negatives outweigh the cheaper price. 183 52.59%

Total:347
Arius Dion said:
KylieDog said:
WiiU is not selling, so all this 'Gamepad is what makes it unique and what sells it' excuse is bollocks.

In fact it is probably the opposite, the high price caused by Gamepad is keeping more people away, WiiU is a secondry console at best, something for Nintendo games and nought else. This means it needs be cheap to justify the lack of games it will be used for,

Evidently, even Nintendo isn't bothering to use it with all its games, Donkey Kong has no use for it at all.

They need sell WiiU with no gamepad.

Just wanted more people to see this..This is truth.

Indeed.  Probably the first time I've ever fully agreed with KylieDog. 

Great Post.

Around the Network
archbrix said:
Ninricken said:

I don't think Nintendo should put something away that you will only understand if you hold it in your hands. After that the weakest console of the 8th gen with the unique Gamepad is just.... a weaker console. nothing else. I can't understand the people dislike the Gamepad so much.

Well, if you read my OP then you know that I do like it... 

But the fact remains that it is currently not selling the console and is driving up the retail price, all while incurring losses for Nintendo.

Yes and I agree but I am talking about a lot people who see it this way. Nintendo just failed to do the right advertisement for the Gamepad. I think it would be like selling just one half of the console and it would look like they just want to make enough money and then do the next console. It is too late to become the best selling console of one generation but for me it would be like giving up or so.

I don't hate Microsoft, I don't hate PC,
I don't prefer Sony, I don't prefer Nintendo.
...Ok, I love Nintendo but this is something about tolerance, ok?

I'm a gamer with one of the greatest hobbies and I want to share this greatness with everyone.

Ninricken said:
archbrix said:
Ninricken said:

I don't think Nintendo should put something away that you will only understand if you hold it in your hands. After that the weakest console of the 8th gen with the unique Gamepad is just.... a weaker console. nothing else. I can't understand the people dislike the Gamepad so much.

But the fact remains that it is currently not selling the console and is driving up the retail price, all while incurring losses for Nintendo.

Yes and I agree but I am talking about a lot people who see it this way. Nintendo just failed to do the right advertisement for the Gamepad. I think it would be like selling just one half of the console and it would look like they just want to make enough money and then do the next console. It is too late to become the best selling console of one generation but for me it would be like giving up or so.

It is unfortunate, but the reality is that Nintendo have to deal with the situation as best they can at this point.  That's why people should not look at it as Nintendo admitting defeat, but instead as Nintendo adapting and persevering.

Ninricken said:
archbrix said:
Ninricken said:

I believe a primary reason why people (as in casuals/blue ocean/whatever) don't like the Wii U is because it goes against what they liked about the Wii. Just look at the wiimote, then at the gamepad, and the issue becomes clear. One is uber simple n intuitive, the other hella complex n intimidating. Naturally people were attracted by the former, but repelled by the latter.
Also it's kinda silly to believe that simply making another SKU is a form of giving up. Are you telling me that Nintendo gave up with the 3DS then lol?

Posting this thread topic should be a bannable offense at this point. Someone posts it every other day.

Around the Network
archbrix said:
Fusioncode said:
Zero999 said:

he game a link saying how much nintendo was CHARGING for a replacement =/= how much the thing COSTS.

this isn't the first time you barge into the conversation with nothing relevant to add. think this through the next time.

I'm stil waiting for your source that the Gamepad costs 50$. And once again, saying things like "think this through next time" is rude and adds nothing to the conversation. 

Yep, I'm still waiting for that as well.

We do know two things:  Historically, Nintendo tries to make profit day one on their hardware and they try to price their hardware affordably.  With the 3DS, they were profiting when it launched at $250; kinda pushing it as far as affordability, which resulted in the price having to be slashed to $169.  Only then was it selling at a loss.

The WiiU, on the other hand, was selling at a loss when it launched at $350 - a price that is a full $100 more than any Nintendo system before it.  Logically, I don't see what would have resulted in Ninty pricing a console of theirs so much higher and still sold at a loss other than the inclusion of the Gamepad.

bolded: hint, the hardware. and the basic sku was 299.

Darc Requiem said:
Posting this thread topic should be a bannable offense at this point. Someone posts it every other day.

I actually haven't seen one of these threads in a while. :L

Zero999 said:
archbrix said:
Fusioncode said:

I'm stil waiting for your source that the Gamepad costs 50$. And once again, saying things like "think this through next time" is rude and adds nothing to the conversation. 

Yep, I'm still waiting for that as well.

We do know two things:  Historically, Nintendo tries to make profit day one on their hardware and they try to price their hardware affordably.  With the 3DS, they were profiting when it launched at $250; kinda pushing it as far as affordability, which resulted in the price having to be slashed to $169.  Only then was it selling at a loss.

The WiiU, on the other hand, was selling at a loss when it launched at $350 - a price that is a full $100 more than any Nintendo system before it.  Logically, I don't see what would have resulted in Ninty pricing a console of theirs so much higher and still sold at a loss other than the inclusion of the Gamepad.

bolded: hint, the hardware. and the basic sku was 299.

Yes, but it was also sold at a loss while retailing for more than any Nintendo system before it.

Darc Requiem said:

Right... because wanting to see Nintendo do better is a bannable offense.  SMH.

archbrix said:
Darc Requiem said:

Right... because wanting to see Nintendo do better is a bannable offense.  SMH.

Regurgitating the same topic over and over again is going to help Nintendo how? It's beating a dead horse. What's been said here that hasn't said in all of the other threads about the exact same topic?