By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Future of Sony? 1.1 Billion dollar loss.

Imaginedvl said:
Normchacho said:
didn't they just get upgraded? Stock is going up, PS4 is selling better than expected. The outlook is actually better than it has been in a number of years. People just see one number and think that's the whole story.

I believe it is the opposite, you see their stock going up and you believe that's the whole story.

What about all the money they lost during the past few months/years and what about the next quarter? This one was bad even with the launch of the PS4, imagine the next one... The stock went up because they announced their intention of selling their PC division, not because of the PS4... And it is just another tentative from Sony to stop bleeding money; it is too early to say if things are going to be better.

Do you have a degree in economics? Do you work in the finance sector? If you answered no two both then what I need you and all the other nintendo/xbot drones is to STFU. People have been saying Sony will go out of business for a long time but they are around still to this day. All these people who know nothing of business or hold a degree in these sectors wade in with their two cent. If you knew anything you would be working for Sony and not be online getting a hard on from the thought of Sony going bust.

Around the Network

I'm sorry but... wtf are some Sony fanboys thinking?... that this doesn't matter beacuse the losses isn't the gaming department?

We are talking about the whole Sony, not just one minor part... hell Sonys gaming devision doesnt even count for... well I don't know the real number but it's really reallly small.

But nooo... it's Nintendo that's in the deep... with just 1/3 of Sony total loss this year..

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Meh. Apple was in trouble for years and everyone said they are done for next year. See how that turned out. A ship the size of Sony takes some time to sink and there are a lot of chances to turn things around.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Hmm, it seems like Sony's biggest successes are in the entertainment industry, either with movies or games. Perhaps they should get out of electronics altogether and just do games and movies.

Angelus said:

Frankly, I don't know how Sony keeps losing money. Don't they know they could just ask all their PlayStation fanboys to donate money to help get them out of the hole? I mean come on....their cult following puts even Star Citizen to shame.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

So true

Around the Network

First of all, all your reactions are way overblown. 

They actually had a total revenue of  US$ 72.3 billion in 2013 and a total operating income of US$ 2.48 billion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony 

Sony Corp is still making tons of money on most of their other divisions. If you would care to read this chart, taken form an article on the wall street journal's website..

Second of all, not only are they making money, they already have about 30 billion dollars in positive equity. 

So they are far from bankrupt, far from a government bail out and there is no way in HELL that Nintendo or Microsoft would be able to buy all of Sony, in any foreseeable future. And there is no way that Sony is going to sell their videogames division, considering that they are selling more PS4s than expected and that they will start making money at year 2 of a 10 year console cycle.Thats 8 years of expected profit on the PS4 alone. 

What they have done is purely profit optimization by cutting out some bad business. 

So relax, Sony is doing just fine. 

benji232 said:

Link to me to the "bunch of buildings" that they bought. I have atleast 2 seperate links for 2 seperate buildings that they sold for 1.2B$ and 1.1B$ respectively. When I google "Sony buys headquarter", nothing comes up at all.

My point still stands, had they not sold these buildings, they would have loss much more. And had they profited, it would have only been achieved thanks to selling these buildings. Not because of their core business. Not to mention, they are laying off thousands of people each and every year and they keep losing money over and over and over again. That's not really a good sign at all.

And where did you see me argue that selling off vaio was a good/bad decision? I actually believe thats it's a great move. However, 1.1B$ is not acceptable. Had they been actually healthy as a business, they could have gotten rid of that division without incurring a loss. Weird, I know right? Please re-think you're facepalm, because the only person who deserves a facepalm is you.

Also, I never proclaimed myself to be a financial expert, I just like discussing stuff that I'm passionate about.

Not my fault you can't even do a simple google search..and no I'm not going to do the work for you either. Hint: One of the buildings they got is in Cali. 

No your point doesn't stand. Selling a building is a usual thing in the business world. If a business deems renting is more profitable they will go for it. They buy buildings, factories etc etc they also buy them. Such is the nature of a multi national corporations. 

You are showing over and over again that you are so clueless. Layoffs are NEEDED. As sony moves on from what they are now to a more focused approach in the future layoffs will happen. Sucks but it's a good sign that they are getting their act together.

and if a business was healthy? lol if it was a healthy business venture they wouldn't sell it! it's not really rocket science. You really should think a bit before you post. 

No, the last part was in general for many here, including you. If you want to actually talk about financials, go read them. Read the notes. Understand why the sudden swing in profits to losses. Then you will understand, with numbers included, why this is good for the company long term. It's not really a hard thing to do. Sony is trimming fat AND restructuring the company to focus on the profitable sections they have. And such a move comes with a price, hence the projected losses. This is Kaz making all the right and needed moves to bring Sony to the right path. Go ahead, give the latest financial a read. it will serve you better than posting about things you don't clearly understand. 

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Naum said:
I'm sorry but... wtf are some Sony fanboys thinking?... that this doesn't matter beacuse the losses isn't the gaming department?

We are talking about the whole Sony, not just one minor part... hell Sonys gaming devision doesnt even count for... well I don't know the real number but it's really reallly small.

But nooo... it's Nintendo that's in the deep... with just 1/3 of Sony total loss this year..

so I guess use of the term fanboys are ok so here goes..what are some of you nintendo fanboys doing? You guys are coming off mighty ignorant without actually understanding the steps and numbers behind these forecasts. 

but noooo..it's a conspiracy! Why waste time actually finding out the information when you can make such wonderful posts 

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

BreedinBull said:
I really don't know where a company that is supposed to be "broke and have no money" gets over a billion dollars to lose from.

Go ask every single government on earth (1 or maybe 2 excluded)

M.U.G.E.N said:
benji232 said:

Link to me to the "bunch of buildings" that they bought. I have atleast 2 seperate links for 2 seperate buildings that they sold for 1.2B$ and 1.1B$ respectively. When I google "Sony buys headquarter", nothing comes up at all.

My point still stands, had they not sold these buildings, they would have loss much more. And had they profited, it would have only been achieved thanks to selling these buildings. Not because of their core business. Not to mention, they are laying off thousands of people each and every year and they keep losing money over and over and over again. That's not really a good sign at all.

And where did you see me argue that selling off vaio was a good/bad decision? I actually believe thats it's a great move. However, 1.1B$ is not acceptable. Had they been actually healthy as a business, they could have gotten rid of that division without incurring a loss. Weird, I know right? Please re-think you're facepalm, because the only person who deserves a facepalm is you.

Also, I never proclaimed myself to be a financial expert, I just like discussing stuff that I'm passionate about.

1) Not my fault you can't even do a simple google search..and no I'm not going to do the work for you either. Hint: One of the buildings they got is in Cali. 

2) No your point doesn't stand. Selling a building is a usual thing in the business world. If a business deems renting is more profitable they will go for it. They buy buildings, factories etc etc they also buy them. Such is the nature of a multi national corporations. 

3) You are showing over and over again that you are so clueless. Layoffs are NEEDED. As sony moves on from what they are now to a more focused approach in the future layoffs will happen. Sucks but it's a good sign that they are getting their act together.

4) and if a business was healthy? lol if it was a healthy business venture they wouldn't sell it! it's not really rocket science. You really should think a bit before you post. 

5) No, the last part was in general for many here, including you. If you want to actually talk about financials, go read them. Read the notes. Understand why the sudden swing in profits to losses. Then you will understand, with numbers included, why this is good for the company long term. It's not really a hard thing to do. Sony is trimming fat AND restructuring the company to focus on the profitable sections they have. And such a move comes with a price, hence the projected losses. This is Kaz making all the right and needed moves to bring Sony to the right path. Go ahead, give the latest financial a read. it will serve you better than posting about things you don't clearly understand. 

1) The only HQ they purchased in their FY 2013 was a new playstation HQ, again, I googled it all, nothing comes up. Stop doing your smartass, bring up the links if they truly exist because i've googled it all "Sony purchases new HQ" "Sony buys new building" "Sony buys new HQ", etc. I'm not a dumbass. 

2) So a healthy corporation would be selling some of their HQ's that they've been using for the past 20 + years just because they deem it "unprofitable". You're kidding yourself. The only reason that they actually sold those buildings is because they are in dire needs of cash, have you even checked their debt as of 2013? Jesus christ, even if they sold off all of their assets and used their entire cash stacks, they still wouldn't have enough to pay it all off! So yes, had they not sold off their HQs, they would have lost much more money. Actually, their profit forecast would have never even happened. 

3) You're showing over and over again that you seriously lack reading skills. Laying off people is NOT a good sign no matter how YOU want to spin it. They have been laying off THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of people for the past COUPLE years in a row and they STILL aren't profitable even after all of those layoffs. The reason for all of those massive layoffs is simple, they've been doing horrific as a businness over the past 5+ years. Had they still been as healthy as they were 10years ago, they wouldn't be laying off people. 

In some cases, some companies do some occasional layoffs to adapt to the changing market. However, Sony has been laying thousands of people CONSTANTLY for the past few years. This is not good. 

4) Again, lack of reading skills. I was clearly talking about the overall company, not about vaio. Had SONY had been a healthy corporation, they could have cut off the extra fat (vaio) without incurring such losses. However, given their position, it incurred them massive losses because their overall business simply couldn't compensate. 

5) Not even going to comment on this one. You're calling everyone who is talking negative about you're favorite company clueless people.

Also, FYI, I love Sony products. My 3 tvs are all Sony. I own a psvita. And I own a xperia. Just in case (seeing you're last post) that you thought that I was some kind of Nintendo or MS fanboy or whatever.

Also, FAIR warning: I did not proof read my post and it is kind of late here, so there might be a few hiccups in the grammar department lol.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M