By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Future of Sony? 1.1 Billion dollar loss.

I think Sony's days as an electronics brand per se are coming to an end. They can't compete with Samsung on that front.

Their core business in the future will be as a mid-tier mobile phones/tablets provider + their game division + their movie/TV/music division.

And yeah, once their TV business is spun off from the company, they probably will become the target of acquisitions. Maybe Microsoft or Google or Samsung.

Around the Network

I hope all you concerned individuals are actual shareholders because if your not, I fail to see how a corporation's financial distress/gains affects you personally.

The gaming industry is big enough to survive any of these console makers/game publishers. Intellectual Property can be sold off, traded, remade etc.

http://youtu.be/DPxrWnnG7HI

I think that the possibility of Sony going bankrupt in the not-to-distant future is a very likely possibility, but people need to stop assuming that that means the end of Playstation, or worse, that it means that Microsoft or Nintendo will buy Playstation.

Does anyone else realize how retarded that is? If Nintendo bought it, they'd have no money left over for anything else, and they'd have to either start financially supporting a competing console, or abandon it completely, which is a complete waste of the billions of dollars they'd have spent buying the damn thing. Same with Microsoft except they's have more money after the purchase. You don't buy a competing brand like that.

That's as stupid as telling Apple to "just buy" Android, or telling Nintendo to "just go 3rd party." It's stupid, and won't happen. Samsung will probably do it. Playstation doesn't fit in with Apple's business philosophy, unless you want an all digital PS4 running on a gaming version OS X Mavericks.

Sony will never regain the market they have lost to Samsung and other Korean companies when it comes to electronics.

Sony was a big company when walkman ruled the world but Apple threw the walkmen in the garbage can with their MP3 player and iphones years taler.

M.U.G.E.N said:
benji232 said:
Wagram said:
The 1.1b loss on paper looks bad (what you all are calling doom/gloom) but what they are doing is financially beneficial. If they don't cut their losses with Vaio now, or restructure the TV business they will lose MORE than the 1.1b. This is why Sonys shares have been raising, think of the long term rather than the short term.

It is very bad no matter HOW you want to spin it. Not only did they sell a few buildings THIS fiscal year which got them a couple B$, they are still posting a loss. This means that had they not sold those buildings, they would have lost another 3-4B$+!

I apologize, but you just can't spin a 1.1B$ loss into positive news. Especially when they sold a few of their buildings in FY2013.

facepalm..I wish people would actually think for a second before they post. They also bought a bunch of buildings you know? omgwhatwilltheydonow!

So many experts in this thread haven't even gone through the financial statement to read the actual numbers/breakdown of the loss. Read it. And you will see why the loss is happening and why it's actually good for the company in the long run. 

Bottom line is they are cutting the extra fat and restructuring. It's bad but it's something that is needed for the company to get into a much healthier position next financial year. Most of their divisions are actually profitable. Lots of expenses are allocated to the sell off/spin off of PC/tv divisions. Also write offs and impairment costs for shit they don't need in the future. Give the notes in the financials a read and learn a bit more. This is not a black and white situation by any means.

Link to me to the "bunch of buildings" that they bought. I have atleast 2 seperate links for 2 seperate buildings that they sold for 1.2B$ and 1.1B$ respectively. When I google "Sony buys headquarter", nothing comes up at all.

My point still stands, had they not sold these buildings, they would have loss much more. And had they profited, it would have only been achieved thanks to selling these buildings. Not because of their core business. Not to mention, they are laying off thousands of people each and every year and they keep losing money over and over and over again. That's not really a good sign at all.

And where did you see me argue that selling off vaio was a good/bad decision? I actually believe thats it's a great move. However, 1.1B$ is not acceptable. Had they been actually healthy as a business, they could have gotten rid of that division without incurring a loss. Weird, I know right? Please re-think you're facepalm, because the only person who deserves a facepalm is you.

Also, I never proclaimed myself to be a financial expert, I just like discussing stuff that I'm passionate about.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:
Wagram said:
Imaginedvl said:
Sony is a mess. Right now they are going to downsize + sell one or two divisions.
It will help them in a short term but I do not see any bright future for them.

Right now they are bleeding money even with the help of the PS4 launch. Now just imagine the next quarter, the revenue from PS4 will go down for sure and then what? They will come up with another plan and continue to lose investors money.

Best option for everybody would be to have Samsung or someone else buying them and maybe keep few divisions alive (like the gaming one as the Playstation brand is very valuable). They also need to get right of that clown CEO...

He isn't the one that made those mistakes. It was Sir Howard Stinger. It's like taking up the position of presidency and being blamed for all the prior presidents errors.

Yah I was a bit harsh there. But I still believe he did not made the right decisions to come back from the red.

I can tell you as a Sony Investor (yes Ill admit it...have been for a very long time) the current CEO is doing a good job considering the shitstorm that was inheirited.  It baffles the mind how much BS people were shovelled about Sony and their finances, things that are just now coming to light.  

It is not all on Sir Howard Stinger though, a good deal is about the Japanese government and Currency.

MoHasanie said:
DonFerrari said:
I didn't know we had this many administrators, CEO, CFO here that seems to know how to recover Sony... They should fire the board of directors and all higher ups to hire you folks. How many of you is a top manager? Most here are in debt and taking government aid. Complain about prices and how companies are greedy. Yes you sure are better qualified than Kaz Hirai.

People say sony should downsize and get rid off PC and tv, dismiss people to reduce costs. Sony does that and people complain. And don't see why Sony will post a loss. Say they sell buildings and divisions to hide losses but ignore sony also bought newer buildings and companies, that's part of their reestructuration.

The best part is some people saying they want Sony to recover and they want competition when everyone knows they hate Sony and want them and their fans to die.

People complain because it has taken Sony years to get rid of loss making divisions. They kept trying and waiting for the TV and PC division to become profitable but all it did was lose them billions. Now after years of lossing billions, they have decided to sell off the PC division. They are still keeping the TV diviision though so it will still make massive loses. 

Also you're making so many assumptions in your post. I am not in debt, and most people don't want Sony and their fans to die. That is a riduculous thing to say. 

I said most or some of the people that pretend to want to sony to recover???

And you haven't seem people complaining that they done the pc sellout and tv spin-off, puting it as weakness??? You clearly didn't read it as I put, or felt victm of it by some reason.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DraconianAC said:
I hope all you concerned individuals are actual shareholders because if your not, I fail to see how a corporation's financial distress/gains affects you personally.

The gaming industry is big enough to survive any of these console makers/game publishers. Intellectual Property can be sold off, traded, remade etc.

This is VGChartz - the whole point of the site is to be interested in corporations' financial successes/failures.

Besides, you don't have to wait until you buy stock of a company to take note of how it's doing. You might want to know something about a company when deciding to invest.

I believe Sony has no future and will not missed, any company can replace them

VitroBahllee said:
DraconianAC said:

This is VGChartz - the whole point of the site is to be interested in corporations' financial successes/failures.

Besides, you don't have to wait until you buy stock of a company to take note of how it's doing. You might want to know something about a company when deciding to invest.

Oh, maybe I didn't know this was a financial analist website, maybe I didn't see or understood the obsession people have over numbers that don't really affect their daily life, but ok. I'll drop my two cents.

editited for grammar.