By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Reports $1.1B Loss - The Bullcrap Needs To Stop

I actually noticed this myself as it happened on N4G, very disgusting & sad the lenghts that place goes to damage control

Around the Network
Lafiel said:

I wonder if the maker of this video ever gets around to actually understand why Sony projects a loss (a loss in the future, not the now - he seems to be confused about that aswell) and why investors actually are happy with that (Sony shares up ~4% since the report).

By the way, the thread title should be "Sony forecasts $1.1B loss", it's misleading right now.

thank you im not the only one that has noticed this, investers seem to be happy with what sony is doing righ now, shedding a loss leader in their pc area, and moving tvs to a subsidiary to go after the high end market is a great move, you wont see many sonys in say wlamart, or target but youll see them in magnolia stores as a high end tv.  quality over quantity, let Samsung battle it out with Vizio and such for that low end market.  its what Pioneer did and were successful at until they saw the writing on the wall with plasma tvs.  this 1.1b loss thats forcasted includes the cost of making said subsidiary, and to support the Vaio line.

F0X said:

I like this older, more well-presented argument a lot better.

http://www.destructoid.com/fact-ps3-fanboys-are-the-worst-149259.phtml

Ohhhhh man I forgot all about that.  Wow.  Reading that again ... wow.  I remember all of these things.  I guess I really shouldn't have been surprised (though it's more disappointment than surprise tbh ...) that Sony's recent success has only made them all the more unbearable ...

JayWood2010 said:
fireburn95 said:
Lol that guy is probably dumber than pachter - if you can last more than 5 minutes on any of his videos you may have induced a tumour.

He isnt really wrong about what he is saying.  (He is talking about N4G)

"If nintendo would have lost 1.1b which is over 3x more than what they lost everybody would have been talking about it, but instead nobody is talking about it."  

"The Order 1886 gets announced 30fps and  "its okay".  When microsoft announces 30fps it gets blasted."

These are both examples he uses, not mine but he is right.  He also says it isnt just the sony fanbase that does this stuff, he just believes theyre the main perpetrators of hypocricy and damage control. 

I think the only issue is that when Microsoft announce 30 frames-per-second it is usually accompanied by a lower resolution such as Dead Rising 3 being 720p or Ryse being 900p, both of which have unstable frame-rates that can often fall below 30 frames-per-second. Or it is a multi-platform game that runs at a superior frame-rate on the PlayStation 4, whilst also running at a superior resolution - the only example I can think of is Tomb Raider: Definite Edition. I tend to stay out of the bickering, but Microsoft themselves have previously said that they deliberately did not targeted high-end graphics with their new console, so I guess the fan-boys (all of which are awful and just as bad as each other) for PlayStation like to point that out, whilst the Xbox fan-boys try to say there will be parity when that will never be the case unless the PlayStation version is deliberately gimped. 

Yes, Sony recently made a loss, but that is nothing new. It is not news, it is to be expected. Their being in profit is the bigger news as that is something relatively new.

Edit: Regarding the frame-rate of The Order: 1886 I believe this IS a design choice, as by the sounds of things there are some very sophisticated effects at play, and they are going for a cinematic feel. The same was claimed about Ryse (900p being a design choice), but I believe that was more of a hardware limitation as it would have looked phenomenal in 1080p and that cannot be denied. Ryse was aiming to be all pretty, so to choose a lower resolution doesn't make sense.

J_Allard said:
I liked the part about 60/30 fps and he is exactly right. If an Xbone game gets revealed to be 30 fps it's the end of the world, the console is doomed and holy shit, why not just play on the Atari 2600 because damn bro, do you even lift? 30 fps is so last gen 1080p60 or bust.

But then The Order is revealed to be 30, and potentially 900p, and oh man it's totally cool guys! It's cinematic!

The Nintendo stuff, they dominated last gen, of course they are going to get a lot of venom now that they are failing.

That wasn´t the problem. The Order was built from the ground up for the PS4 and it does some new physic things, there is no Xbone version.

Tomb Raider Deluxe was a last gen up port, the 30 fps (and frequent frame drops) aren´t the problem .

The problem is that the 100€/$ cheaper PS4 runs it at close to double the framerate with better textures.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
JayWood2010 said:
fireburn95 said:
Lol that guy is probably dumber than pachter - if you can last more than 5 minutes on any of his videos you may have induced a tumour.

He isnt really wrong about what he is saying.  (He is talking about N4G)

"If nintendo would have lost 1.1b which is over 3x more than what they lost everybody would have been talking about it, but instead nobody is talking about it."  

"The Order 1886 gets announced 30fps and  "its okay".  When microsoft announces 30fps it gets blasted."

These are both examples he uses, not mine but he is right.  He also says it isnt just the sony fanbase that does this stuff, he just believes theyre the main perpetrators of hypocricy and damage control. 

You still seem to be confused as to why most critics are bashing Microsoft. It's not framerate nor resolution.. but rather the overall performance and value.

You could hypothetically stress a high-end PC at 1080p/30fps with the right amount of in-game details, polygons, objects and particles. Res/FPS are meaningless without context. I've said this before and I'll say it again: Tekken 5 DR Online on PS3 runs at 1080p/60fps! Someone could misleadingly use this to show PS3 is superior to X1 and even PS4. T5DR is a last generation game that apparently performs better than the new Killer Instinct (as far as the resolution/fps argument goes)

Some multiplats are"mathmatcially" running as much as twice better on a $100 cheaper PS4. not based on resoultion and framerate alone but all cacluations. With both systems reaching their full potential (specs on paper), Xbox ONE will still be at least 50% behind. The surprise was the difference between the first batch of multiplats was even bigger than 50%

But I have to admit that I'm sick of the "PS4 is more powerful!!!!!!!" obsession. I think it's clear which console is graphically superior but it doesn't end with graphics anyway. We didn't prefer PS2 over Xbox for the weaker graphics did we?

The thing about the PS2 is that Sony fans were saying back then that graphics don't matter when their system of choice was the less powerful graphically and then when the PS3 comes out then do a complete 180 and said the graphics are the end be all of gaming and that's why people say Sony fans are the worst. 

Kyuu said:
JayWood2010 said:

You still seem to be confused as to why most critics are bashing Microsoft. 

Im not confused as these are not my posts.  They were quotes from the video.  Again, not my views.  My views are below.  

And value comes with enjoyment, not pixels. If you see something as not valuable doesnt mean others doesnt see value in something.  Example would be kinect.  You may not see value in it, but others do.  This could be said about almost any product.  This whole my opinion > everyone else is the most annoying thing about forums.  You nor i speak for the 100m+ gamers out there.

As for graphics, of course there is a console that is more powerful and there really isnt a lot of people to say otherwise.  Cramming it into peoples heads everytime people get the chance is a little redundant and pointless.  Everybody gets it, PS4 is more powerful.  Who is arguing about it?

As for Tekken and KI i assume you mentioned KI since people realize i like that game(not saying that it is a bad thing).  The thing is, tekkn could be in 2000k, 120fps and i still wouildnt care because i like the gameplay of KI more.  Gameplay will always be > graphics for me.  Graphics doesnt make a game, it only adds to it.

Shokio makes a lot of sense in this vid

Sigh

vivster said:
J_Allard said:
I liked the part about 60/30 fps and he is exactly right. If an Xbone game gets revealed to be 30 fps it's the end of the world, the console is doomed and holy shit, why not just play on the Atari 2600 because damn bro, do you even lift? 30 fps is so last gen 1080p60 or bust.

But then The Order is revealed to be 30, and potentially 900p, and oh man it's totally cool guys! It's cinematic!

It's ok because no other next gen console could do more, so it is the best version of the game possible at this moment. Why wouldn't it be ok?

It would stop being ok if another console could do more, like it is the case with multiplats on X1. It's not next gen then because it is worse than what a real next gen console could do. How is that equasion so hard to understand for non-PS fans?

So the PS2 wasn't a real 6th gen system because it was graphically inferior compared to Xbox and Gamecube?