By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony in talks to sell PC business 'for greater smartphone push'

ethomaz said:

I like the Vaio notebooks... IBM sold the PC business to Lenovo years ago too because it was low profitable.

The question is if this is the right time to sell off your PC business after reports that PC sales are hitting bottom in 2013/14 and will start to move back up in 2015.
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/pc-sales-hit-rock-bottom-in-2013-as-tablet-dominance-continues-1214181

But if they may not have untill 2015

Around the Network
Figgycal said:
sales2099 said:
Figgycal said:
sales2099 said:

Current events.

They're losing a lot of money. "A sign of weakness" is for healthy company like Samsung or Google; Sony has been doing shit for the past decade.

Ok my bad, So then its a "confirmation" of weakness.

We've had a lot of confirmation over the years about why Sony is a weak company. Their credit rating dropped to junk, their stock prices reached a low of about 13 dollars when a decade ago they were in the 100's. No one was under the impression that Sony was doing well. A sign of weakness would've been when Sony posted a deficit for 5 years in a row, followed by a tiny profit in 2013. I'd like to hear what Kowenicki had to say about this (unfortunately he got banned), but I would assume that Sony stock holders would be happy with this move and Lenovo stockholders not so much.

I am a Sony stock holder (and a Microsoft Stock Holder just incase anyone actually cared :)  

Have been for a long time and I can tell you this is VERY WELCOME news.  The PC business was never done properly in the first place and it is fantastic that they can still sell it off today.

The issue has always been how and where they build their PCs (and what the government requires of the Japanese business to function in this respect...currencies to use..its all extremely complicated).  Is Sony doing something wrong?  Yep.  Did they have a choice?  Nope.

DamnTastic said:
ethomaz said:

I like the Vaio notebooks... IBM sold the PC business to Lenovo years ago too because it was low profitable.

The question is if this is the right time to sell off your PC business after reports that PC sales are hitting bottom in 2013/14 and will start to move back up in 2015.
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/pc-sales-hit-rock-bottom-in-2013-as-tablet-dominance-continues-1214181

The article states a prediction of a growth of less than 1% in 2015 after having already shrinking by over 10%-- that's hardly a recovery. IDC also predict that demand for PCs to stay mostly stagnant over the next four years.

Figgycal said:
DamnTastic said:
ethomaz said:

The article states a prediction of a growth of less than 1% in 2015 after having already shrinking by over 10%-- that's hardly a recovery. IDC also predict that demand for PCs to stay mostly stagnant over the next four years.

We're talking exponential here

These people saying Sony should sell of their TV manufacturing need to shut up. I didn't even know Sony made PCs, though I guess it's not that surprising. Still, they're doing poorly there because no one gives a shit about their PCs. The TVs, on the other hand, people know. It's a trusted TV brand. The problem is that TVs are down across the board, not just for Sony. They don't need to sell the TV branch, just get people interested in TVs in general again.

...what if they attached Playstation Now to their TVs? Like made it so that the only place off of Playstation 3, 4, and Vita that Now was available would be Sony TVs, tablets, and phones? That'd add insane value to their TVs. In fact, looking it up, that seems to be what they're doing. Perhaps some of their electronics will see growth in the future? TVs especially I'd imagine. I'd buy a Sony Bravia to play some Crash and Ape Escape. Get a nice TV for your games, and access to a bunch of exclusive content that I couldn't with a different TV. Would work really well to get Xbox and Nintendo gamers interested in Sony IP, I'd think. You need a TV anyway, so if you're getting a Nintendo system, plug it into a Sony TV so you can have Nintendo and Playstation games.

Around the Network

although i have two sony vaio laptops and theya re about 5 years old still work like new, im glad to see Sony selling thier divisions that are sinking the company, and theese days PCs wont make you money unless you can put out a superior product for a cheap amount.   Vaios have always been overpriced for the most part, while well built they tried to compete with Apple Directly in price and whos going to choose a sony when you can get a Macbook for the same price?

The problem for PC's is that it's way too cut throat and way too many different companies involved in it.

For me it's a sensible move, I like Sony equipment, but I am more likely to buy a Apple laptop than sony.

Now some people have said TV's... I say no on that, and though its the major loss system for them, there is a reason. TV's is really where their new market is at. Laptops, you can install the software you need, but TV's especially smart TV's is where the future action / profit is in my opinion.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

HylianSwordsman said:
These people saying Sony should sell of their TV manufacturing need to shut up. I didn't even know Sony made PCs, though I guess it's not that surprising. Still, they're doing poorly there because no one gives a shit about their PCs. The TVs, on the other hand, people know. It's a trusted TV brand. The problem is that TVs are down across the board, not just for Sony. They don't need to sell the TV branch, just get people interested in TVs in general again.

That's actually also happening with PC's.

PC sales in general shrinked for the 7th quarter in a row (year on year) I believe. (Not sure about the quarters, but they are in the same boat as TV)

So many times i've wanted to buy a vaio but they're always significantly more expensive then a similary specced other brand. Either sell or merge with another company.

ow wow.. its like worth nothing... ~400 million dollar?I thought Viao was worth more than that.. for example with the MS stuff going on Bloomberg estimates that the Xbox division is worth 23 billion dollar.. surely Viao should be worth more then ~400 million

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)