By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony in talks to sell PC business 'for greater smartphone push'

osed125 said:

As I said a while ago, if Sony business keeps going like this, it will become a much smaller company than it was a decade ago, they won't go into bankruptcy nor anything like that, but it will definitely be a smaller company, and that's never a good thing. 

A smaller, more profitable company is a lot better than a large one that can't make money. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
Azerth said:
Guess they ran out of buildings to sell

LOL!!

I think the business itself includes buildings though

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Remember when Sony was the company that was buying other peoples business to get a foothold into them?

It's too bad that Sony's name in the US is only synonymous with a game system nowadays. Go to any store and the Sony brand is even hard to find. Just a shame really...

It is near the end of the end....

Well i actually hoped that Amazon will buy itself into the PC business.. With a 0 dollar margin on hardware but with an exclusive software shop/music/video shop and maybe an interactive desktop with ads.. It will be the future but Apple kinda ruined it when they made tablets the big thing.. Amazon went with Kindle which is more effective in that strategy then a PC

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

tiffac said:
Okay but the real question is, will they sell the cancer known as the TV division?

Because that's been the real killer right there.

They will not. They are commited with Japanese Olimpic Committe to help develop 8K in advance for the Summer Olimpics of 2020. Being part of that public-private (Sony is not the only private partner) venture ensures sony is not getting out of the TV business anywhere before 2020. 

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

They should... Their PC and laptops are terrible for the price you pay.. And so should HP... Asus should be the company that people buy PCs/Laptops from, not Sony and HP

i would agree if asus wasn't so chepa and used better wifi cards. the distance and stability on the apheros (however it is spelt) ones is shit. Hopefully they siwtch to an intel based one for all their products.

selnor1983 said:
I don't want PS to go. The competition is great for the gaming industry. But this Sony losses keep worrying me. I hope these sales help them in the future.

better buy a ps4 then lol

Fusioncode said:
osed125 said:

As I said a while ago, if Sony business keeps going like this, it will become a much smaller company than it was a decade ago, they won't go into bankruptcy nor anything like that, but it will definitely be a smaller company, and that's never a good thing. 

A smaller, more profitable company is a lot better than a large one that can't make money. 

When you are THE biggest (or at least one of the biggest) electronic companies and you become smaller is a huge blow no matter how you look at it. In the long term, investors could lose confidence in the company. Making mistakes is A LOT more dangerous because you won't have other stuff to back yourself up. Less cash in reserve. In Sony´s case specifically, waaaaay too much debt which would be even more impossible to pay if they are smaller, you get the general idea.

Nintendo and PC gamer

menx64 said:
tiffac said:
Okay but the real question is, will they sell the cancer known as the TV division?

Because that's been the real killer right there.

They will not. They are commited with Japanese Olimpic Committe to help develop 8K in advance for the Summer Olimpics of 2020. Being part of that public-private (Sony is not the only private partner) venture ensures sony is not getting out of the TV business anywhere before 2020. 

For some reason, I'm not sure if I should be happy with that or not. lol! XD

osed125 said:
Fusioncode said:
osed125 said:

When you are THE biggest (or at least one of the biggest) electronic companies and you become smaller is a huge blow no matter how you look at it. In the long term, investors could lose confidence in the company. Making mistakes is A LOT more dangerous because you won't have other stuff to back yourself up. Less cash in reserve. In Sony´s case specifically, waaaaay too much debt which would be even more impossible to pay if they are smaller, you get the general idea.

They shrunk (or will shrink) by removing a non-profitable division but they didn't shrink on the divisions they are profitable on. So there is a difference and not everything is so bleak.

Besides keeping a non-profitable division where Sony has never been a leader on, would just push them further into bankruptcy. Then again their TV division bleeds more XD XD XD