By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony in talks to sell PC business 'for greater smartphone push'

Azerth said:

Guess they ran out of buildings to sell

~ Mod edit ~

This user was moderated by TruckOSaurus for this post.

Why is it that when someone talks bad about Sony, they are reported/banned? Yet, when the same is done to Microsoft no one gets warned or anything? I've been seeing this alot lately.

Around the Network
Zappykins said:
Fusioncode said:
sales2099 said:
Soooo they are now selling actual divisions of their company to stay profitable?

They're selling off unprofitable divisions. Kind of smart actually. Now they just need to get rid of their TV line. 

For many of us that's always been the big 'Sony' thing and what they were most known for - quality TV's.  It was shocking when I realized a few years ago that Samsung was better.  It was a total shock.  Like how it was when Kmart bought out the giant rock of a company Sears. Or like when a vegetable you hated as a kid now taste good.

So Sony TV’s might be going the way of the BetaMax. 

I find it a little bit sad.

owning both brands of tvs and several samsung products, they are no where near Sonys level. You get what you pay for. It's sad people don't see that and in turn the quality of the whole industry is brought down because of it. 

Areal-Llort said:
Azerth said:

~ Mod edit ~

Why is it that when someone talks bad about Sony, they are reported/banned? Yet, when the same is done to Microsoft no one gets warned or anything? I've been seeing this alot lately.

That happens too.

gooch_destroyer said:
Areal-Llort said:
Azerth said:

~ Mod edit ~

That happens too.

I think it's even more common actually.

JoeTheBro said:
gooch_destroyer said:
Areal-Llort said:
Azerth said:

~ Mod edit ~

That happens too.

Yeah, that's true.

Around the Network
gooch_destroyer said:
JoeTheBro said:

Yeah, that's true.

I was planning to go through the monthly ban report and get some legit numbers, but that'd actually be a lot of work lol.

JoeTheBro said:
gooch_destroyer said:
JoeTheBro said:

Yeah, that's true.

I was planning to go through the monthly ban report and get some legit numbers, but that'd actually be a lot of work lol.

I missed them. lol

great nes mow they have to focus and support other hardware which will have more profitability than the pc because sony's pc are not really selling well in fact it's the opposite

sales2099 said:
Fusioncode said:
sales2099 said:
Soooo they are now selling actual divisions of their company to stay profitable?

They're selling off unprofitable divisions. Kind of smart actually. Now they just need to get rid of their TV line. 

As an electronics company, it is a sign of weakness instead of trying to rejuvinate it. The TV line too. Selling off buildings is one thing, but cutting off your own limbs is a slippery slope.

samsung didn't get big selling a bunch of products at once. They capitalized on phones, then moved into other areas.

Conversely, Sony has several bad product lines. They cannot rejeuvenate all of them at once. They focus on one thing, they'll continue going through hell with the others. The best business sense says to sell both tvs and PC. Especially in a slowing pc market, this was actually quite good for them.

MoHasanie said:
selnor1983 said:
NiKKoM said:
ow wow.. its like worth nothing... ~400 million dollar?I thought Viao was worth more than that.. for example with the MS stuff going on Bloomberg estimates that the Xbox division is worth 23 billion dollar.. surely Viao should be worth more then ~400 million

The entirity of Sony is worth 19 billion. Xbox is worth more than All of Sony.  Not just more than Playstation. Just shows the business side of things MS does well.

I doubt the Xbox division is worth $23bn! Seems too high. Maybe the whole devices division is worth that much? 

Bloomberg had an article about investors wanting breaking up MS from that article:

Xbox, which started selling the new Xbox One console in November, may be worth about $23 billion on its own, based on Nintendo Co. (7974)’s price-sales ratio, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-04/less-microsoft-is-more-as-investors-eye-breakup-real-m-a.html

do believe that Bloomberg know what they are talking about as they compare the value against nintendo..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)