By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony in talks to sell PC business 'for greater smartphone push'

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

They should... Their PC and laptops are terrible for the price you pay.. And so should HP... Asus should be the company that people buy PCs/Laptops from, not Sony and HP

I always buy lenovo

Around the Network

DamnTastic said:

I always buy lenovo

It is my first option recently... they are really doing some good products.

Well this is surprising. Why couldn't they just sell their TV division years back?

They should... Their PC and laptops are terrible for the price you pay.. And so should HP... Asus should be the company that people buy PCs/Laptops from, not Sony and HP

They look super sexy to be honest.

...it´s just that you have to pay out the ass to get a Vaio with good innards

Fusioncode said:
sales2099 said:
Soooo they are now selling actual divisions of their company to stay profitable?

They're selling off unprofitable divisions. Kind of smart actually. Now they just need to get rid of their TV line. 

As an electronics company, it is a sign of weakness instead of trying to rejuvinate it. The TV line too. Selling off buildings is one thing, but cutting off your own limbs is a slippery slope.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

sony makes some serious moves to become slimmer and more efficient. the move is correct and a good move but the fact that they have to constantly get rid of unprofitable stuff is not a good sign.

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

sales2099 said:
Fusioncode said:
sales2099 said:
Soooo they are now selling actual divisions of their company to stay profitable?

They're selling off unprofitable divisions. Kind of smart actually. Now they just need to get rid of their TV line. 

As an electronics company, it is a sign of weakness instead of trying to rejuvinate it. The TV line too. Selling off buildings is one thing, but cutting off your own limbs is a slippery slope.

They've been trying to rejuvinate it for years, it's not working. What's the point of bleeding money every quarter when you can just cut it off. A smaller more profitable company is a lot better than large one that can't make money. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Not HP?

Not the case here, I'm afraid. HP is quite common around here. Majority share, I'd say.

Vaio's too expensive, though.

Dallinor said:
Well this is surprising. Why couldn't they just sell their TV division years back?

a) Nobody buys TV manufacturers, there are still too many around.

b) Sony's manufacturing is in Japan. Way too expensive to be profitable. Can't shut down large plants either in Japan, it's a no-win situation.

And the pc part should have been sold off years ago. It is an extreme money dump (when it was consolidated into the games etc division, they had to write off probably >$500mio on overpriced Vaio stuff.

sales2099 said:
Fusioncode said:
sales2099 said:

No, not in this case.  You're going to see more and more companies bail from the PC market.  2013 was horrible for the industry, the worst decline in history.  This would be an excellent move if they can pull it off.