By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Do You Smash Bros.? <(^_^<)

Which do you prefer for VGC Tournys?

Time 22 20.56%

Stock 85 79.44%

Total:107

3 stock, no times, and final destination. That is usually how it goes in my dorm at least, but back at home with my brother we usually do 3 stock, certain stages that he enjoys, and with all items on high. And of course the occasional pokeball battles.

Currently Playing: Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Predictions:

Super Mario Galaxy will pass Super Mario 64 in total sales CORRECT!

Around the Network

Stock. In 1v1 there's no hiding, and with 3-4 players if one player is caught hiding away everyone else in the match has a moral obligation seek him out and destroy him.

Mystro-Sama said:
You guys play with smash ball?

Some do, some don't! I usually do since default settings is all items @ medium, and I usually play as my favorite character, Sonic, so it all works out!

I like to play stock. Number of lives varies depending on the mood. Random stage and max items. Let the chaos begin!

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I usually play Stock battles, but that's just because I hate time limits and I usually do pretty well at "surviving" longer than everyone else. :p

That being said, I agree with you that Time battles would probably be better for online tournaments on VGC so that people get to play the entire match and are forced to be more aggressive. I would want at LEAST 5 minutes to fight though, if not longer.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Around the Network

Stock. Always. I hate time. Almost everyone I know hates time. As for people being able to go through a match without getting a kill, that's precisely why I like stock. Wanna win at a time match? Just get really good at Ike or someone else who kills a lot. Not every character has the same ability to get kills. You could do more damage than everyone else combined, and still get fewer kills than deaths. I can't tell you how many times I've won a stock match under these conditions. It depends on the person's playstyle as well as the character used. It's not fair to certain players to use time. Furthermore, in a tournament, matches are 1 on 1, so the winner will always be the one who got the most kills, so it's better to do stock. Otherwise you could have one lucky kill or self destruct and the rest of the match nothing. Stock makes it almost guaranteed that at least some skill is involved.

Stock. Either no items on final destination/battlefield/corneria/hyrule castle, or super sudden death. Always stock though.

I smash like a true brother! No items, Final Destination and Fox! Hell yeah...

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

HylianSwordsman said:
Stock. Always. I hate time. Almost everyone I know hates time. As for people being able to go through a match without getting a kill, that's precisely why I like stock. Wanna win at a time match? Just get really good at Ike or someone else who kills a lot. Not every character has the same ability to get kills. You could do more damage than everyone else combined, and still get fewer kills than deaths. I can't tell you how many times I've won a stock match under these conditions. It depends on the person's playstyle as well as the character used. It's not fair to certain players to use time. Furthermore, in a tournament, matches are 1 on 1, so the winner will always be the one who got the most kills, so it's better to do stock. Otherwise you could have one lucky kill or self destruct and the rest of the match nothing. Stock makes it almost guaranteed that at least some skill is involved.

Still not sure what yal are getting at here, as it's always been the case that some characters are simply better than others. I'd prefer if it wasn't like that, but with characters having unique movesets n attributes, it's pretty much impossible to have perfect balance. Also, you still needa do damage first since not even Ike can kill at 0%, and likewise, you still needa be able to kill in Stock battles. Oh, and skill is always involved since characters don't move themselves!
Lastly, the tournaments here aren't necessarily gonna be 1 on 1s. It'll probably depend on how many people and how much time we have.

N64 version, always, it's the best one. Team Deathmatch, 2 on 2, 20 lives, all items on with default options. Any stage, but it's less common for me to play on Planet Zebes because I hate that lava thing. I always use Samus too.