By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Do You Smash Bros.? <(^_^<)

Which do you prefer for VGC Tournys?

Time 22 20.56%

Stock 85 79.44%

Total:107
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
I usually have 20 lives but 300% damage always since thats how real men play... I also usually have pokeballs, smash ball and assist trophies enabled most of the time just for shitz

Real men win through random chance people!

Aww yeah! Sudden Death is uber funs! I actually use stock here sometimes. So much anxiety when everyone only has 1 stock, and it's hilarious when a battle ends in 3 seconds! xD

For true randomness though, try a team battle with your friends, everyone selects random for their character, then, have everyone look away from the TV while everyone is rapidly changing their team color, and after a few seconds press start! Oh, and choose a random stage too!

Around the Network

3 or 4 stocks, no items or selected items on low.

Signature goes here!

1v1 or 2v2. Items off. 4 stocks.

Once you go competitive, you never go back.

kirby007 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
kirby007 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
radishhead said:
kirby007 said:
radishhead said:
3 life stock is how I normally play - short, intense, but skillz

only 3? one bad beat and it's over

that's how the game should be! :D

Preach it brotha! Plus, a truely pro player would be able to come back from any deficit!

Not in a game with the wacko's I usually play with

Then you simply aren't a pro player!

or you guys never had proper competition

Even if true, what would that have to do with your inability to overcome odds, due to your lack of skill? :L

Einsam_Delphin said:
kirby007 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
kirby007 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
radishhead said:
kirby007 said:
radishhead said:
3 life stock is how I normally play - short, intense, but skillz

only 3? one bad beat and it's over

that's how the game should be! :D

Preach it brotha! Plus, a truely pro player would be able to come back from any deficit!

Not in a game with the wacko's I usually play with

Then you simply aren't a pro player!

or you guys never had proper competition

Even if true, what would that have to do with your inability to overcome odds, due to your lack of skill? :L

Its just that when the skillcap of the group is high, one lost life is much worse then if the group is not great, thus why we prefer more lives

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

I've never played any sort of competitive Smash that involves more than two players per match. Four is entertaining, but it becomes pretty difficult to play competitively when it's a free for all and there's stuff flying everywhere.

If it has to be four people per match...I still say stock. Time matches simply determine the winner by who lands the most killing blows (or, at the very least, the final blow before the person dies), putting characters without easy to use strong smash attacks at a major disadvantage. With stock, it's at least possible to play any character and win, even if camping is a possibility.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
1v1 or 2v2. Items off. 4 stocks.

Once you go competitive, you never go back.

But I've been back!

MTZehvor said:
I've never played any sort of competitive Smash that involves more than two players per match. Four is entertaining, but it becomes pretty difficult to play competitively when it's a free for all and there's stuff flying everywhere.

If it has to be four people per match...I still say stock. Time matches simply determine the winner by who lands the most killing blows (or, at the very least, the final blow before the person dies), putting characters without easy to use strong smash attacks at a major disadvantage. With stock, it's at least possible to play any character and win, even if camping is a possibility.

The tournaments here aren't necessarily gonna be super serious n competitive, since players of all skill levels will be allowed, and you don't get anything for winning, atleast nothing tangible.

Anywho, every character has kill moves. Of course some are better than others, but's that's not gonna change based on the mode you're playing. Plus no one is forcing you to use any given character (unless it's a Tourny rule). If you wanna use someone who you feel is good for the game mode at hand, then you're free to do so (except if Tourny rules say otherwise of course).

Einsam_Delphin said:
MTZehvor said:

The tournaments here aren't necessarily gonna be super serious n competitive, since players of all skill levels will be allowed, and you don't get anything for winning, atleast nothing tangible.

Anywho, every character has kill moves. Of course some are better than others, but's that's not gonna change based on the mode you're playing. Plus no one is forcing you to use any given character (unless it's a Tourny rule). If you wanna use someone who you feel is good for the game mode at hand, then you're free to do so (except if Tourny rules say otherwise of course).

Certainly, all characters have kill moves, but a number of characters have far more difficulty landing said killing moves in the middle of a fray. I main ZSS in Brawl, and she's an absolutely great character. The trouble with ZSS is that a good portion of her kill moves are difficult to work into a free for all brawl, most of them need a set up move like D-Smash first. She has side special, which works until it gets stale (which happens really quickly), and it's pretty much impossible to set up any sort of D-Smash combo when people around you are going nuts. So, in short, it's almost impossible to play ZSS and do well in a free for all time match, simply because her "killing" options are a bit more complex than someone like Ike who can kill easily in the middle of a crowd.

The difference with changing the mode is that it no longer becomes about who dishes out the killing move. Certainly, characters like ZSS are still at a disadvantage in an environment as crazy as that, but it's nowhere near as ridiculous a disadvantage.

And sure, you can switch characters, but personally I'd say that the mode that allows for any character, given he/she is played well, to have a chance to succeed is preferable.

10 stock, food (including maxim tomato, heart container, etc), and most importantly, the smash ball!!