By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Do You Smash Bros.? <(^_^<)

Which do you prefer for VGC Tournys?

Time 22 20.56%

Stock 85 79.44%

Total:107
jonathanalis said:
we build a closed stage, with only a little hole in the middle to the characters fly away from it.
Its fun cos, we end battling with 300+% most of time, any contact you are bouncing in the walls very fast!

I did that with my friends too.  It was hilarious.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

I don't know if we'll have enough people to warrant hosting two tournaments at the same time, but the idea was always to have different tournament rules n settings every week to keep things fresh and interesting!

As for teams, is there such an option in tournament mode? Even if it's not in the current games, they could always add it into SSB4, like how I'm assuming SSB4 will have an online tournament mode. :L

Man, that would make tournament management tons more convenient (as well as making tournaments far less time consuming). Unfortunately, I don't see this mode becoming available online even in Smash 4.

And yeah, to keep the number of participants as high as possible I don't see two+ tourneys happening at the same time either.

Well I do! They said Brawl was supposed to be the game that took the Wii online, but it pretty well failed at that, so it's only right that they give SSB4 the most robust online any Nintendo game has ever had!

HylianSwordsman said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
HylianSwordsman said:

You're just helping my point here. Some characters are better than others, period.

Fixed!

And again, these tournaments are not gonna be super serious, as we'll have people of all skill levels playing, you don't have to pay to get in, and there wont be any prizes. Of course we'll do some competitive format tournaments just like we will do various other formats.

Einsam_Delphin said:

Fixed!

And again, these tournaments are not gonna be super serious, as we'll have people of all skill levels playing, you don't have to pay to get in, and there wont be any prizes. Of course we'll do some competitive format tournaments just like we will do various other formats.

Hey now, that's not nice. All I'm saying is that stock is better for measuring amount of effort a player puts in. It's too easy to manipulate timed matches. In stock matches, if there are different skill levels of players, and one person is many lives ahead, temporary alliances often form among the less skilled, balancing things out. In time matches, you can't keep track of who's doing better, so that doesn't happen. Whether you're playing seriously or not, timed matches don't help anyone.

HylianSwordsman said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Fixed!

Hey now, that's not nice. All I'm saying is that stock is better for measuring amount of effort a player puts in. It's too easy to manipulate timed matches. In stock matches, if there are different skill levels of players, and one person is many lives ahead, temporary alliances often form among the less skilled, balancing things out. In time matches, you can't keep track of who's doing better, so that doesn't happen. Whether you're playing seriously or not, timed matches don't help anyone.

Well I don't really find dealing with gang ups and cowards very fun, and having to keep track of the score is another thing I like about timed matches. And it's not about helping anyone, it's about having fun, which Time matches are better for since everyone get's to play the duration of the battle regardless of how good or bad they do. But again, VGC has already decided that Stock battles will be the primary format of it's tournaments, so there's no need to continue on about this! Doing so at this point is just rubbing it into my face!

Around the Network

I don't have friends who are actually good at smash (screw you people who say smash has no depth! lol) so I'm kinda forced to play timed because with stocks I kick everyone's ass too fast

Einsam_Delphin said:

What!? Have you not played the newer games? o_O

Yes, I played all of them extensively, but I prefer the original. The strikes are faster, the newer ones try to use fancy animations that made everything looks delayed (and I'm more confortable with King of Fighters and other fighting games with fast gameplay, so it's even more evident). And I don't like the newer levels, specially on Brawl, the scenario tries to kill you anytime, sometimes it's more of a survival game than a fighting one. But the N64 one, it nails every aspect. 

Besides that, in N64 you can let the opponent releases the Pokemons, wait for a Chansey and beat the crap out of her because she won't go away while taking hits, I've already keep her on the scene for 30 minutes and that was fun as hell. And you can beat Charmander, Chansey and other too. 

torok said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

What!? Have you not played the newer games? o_O

Yes, I played all of them extensively, but I prefer the original. The strikes are faster, the newer ones try to use fancy animations that made everything looks delayed (and I'm more confortable with King of Fighters and other fighting games with fast gameplay, so it's even more evident). And I don't like the newer levels, specially on Brawl, the scenario tries to kill you anytime, sometimes it's more of a survival game than a fighting one. But the N64 one, it nails every aspect. 

Besides that, in N64 you can let the opponent releases the Pokemons, wait for a Chansey and beat the crap out of her because she won't go away while taking hits, I've already keep her on the scene for 30 minutes and that was fun as hell. And you can beat Charmander, Chansey and other too. 

Ah, well then congratulations! You are the first person I've ever heard of that likes 64 Smash the best!
But still you should play SSB4 with us when the time comes! ^_^

Einsam_Delphin said:

Ah, well then congratulations! You are the first person I've ever heard of that likes 64 Smash the best!

Of course, I wouldn't miss the new SSB. I'm actually planning to get a Wii U for it as soon as I can.

torok said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Of course, I wouldn't miss the new SSB. I'm actually planning to get a Wii U for it as soon as I can.

Why not 3DS? :L