By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - what would happen to nintendo i.p's if they go bankrupted

Tagged games:

Yeah it would come down to three companies I think -- Microsoft, Disney, and Apple. If it was between Microsoft and Apple, the bidding could get to astronomical levels.

Around the Network

Mario would stop being Super

Lol, whishful thinking. If Nintendo goes bankrupt the IPs will be sold, but not to gaming companies. Big investors and global players will be fighting for them to later license them to gaming companies. I can even see Disney snatching a few of them. After that is done Sony and MS will try to license them exclusively but I don't think they will ever own any of the big IPs.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I think Disney would get most, if not all of them. I don't see Microsoft outbidding Disney on video-game property because gaming to them remains a low(er) priority. Sony, and any of the other third party publishers aren't big enough. Apple isn't in the gaming development business and wouldn't know what to do. Disney would definitely want it, because they'd have a near monopoly on the child-market and own the biggest entertainment IP's in existence with their own original ones, Star Wars, Marvel, Mario and Pokémon. They would release games and merchandise everywhere on anything.

I could actually live with that. Imagine Mario and Zelda rides in Disneyland... Nintendo Pixar movies... Hell I'd almost want Nintendo to go bankrupt for that. Almost .

my bet is that befre they go bankrupt iwata would sell them to miyamoto for $1 lol and they would sit locked up away forever.

Around the Network

The games would fail anyway because its fans have predetermined that they would suck. Good luck to whoever would buy it, they are not just buying a game, they are buying a flood of hate and a level of expectation greater than the solar system.

I would rather see those franchises stop than some company misusing them like Acticision with Spyro and Crash.

There are fates worse than death, just look at SquareEnix for a glimpse of what could happen.

Besides, I think Nintendo would be the last company to leave video games entirely.

Watching Apple and Microsoft bidding against each other would be a thing of beauty. So much money they both got.

Thanks jlmurph!

Depends if Nintendo goes bankrupt because their games stopped selling or their consoles did. Either way that means the market sees no more value in Nintendo games or they have become too niche because they can't sale their consoles anymore. So only those who think they can somehow revitalize those IPs and make it relevant to the market again would bother trying. This may mean the IPs will have way less value at that time.

Big companies like Microsoft and Apple who have little experience in making classic family friendly games or reintroducing them won't bother and they know, by that time, Nintendo IPs aren't that relevant in the market. It may have to be companies that are used to have a lot of creative IPs and manage them well, or a wealthy game publisher who has the vision and drive to make the irrelevant Nintendo IPs unique and groundbreaking again.

In order to speculate on what would happen to their assets, they would have to have creditors first. They don't since they have no debt. This is a ridiculous thread.