By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So where's the Vita's big franchise games? (GTA/MGS/FF etc)

As a PS1 and PS2 owner who had many games there were plenty of reasons for me to get a PSP it had a bunch of exclusive games that were apart of a big franchise. For example.

GTA Liberty City Stories, GTA Vice City Stories, Crisis Core, Final Fantasy Type 0, Daxter, Ratchet & Clank Size Matters, God of War Chains of Olympus, God of War Ghost of Sparta, MGS Portable Ops, MGS Peace Walker, Gran Turismo, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep

That's a great crop of games. Most of those are canon with the console games. 

What's the Vita got?

Uncharted Golden Abyss, AC Liberation, COD Declassified, Killzone Mercenary, Resistance.

Uncharted was great where's another one? They butchered COD when it could have been the biggest one? Nobody even gives a shit about Resistance anymore.

Where's it's GTA exclusive? Final Fantasy had 2 proper games, War of the Lions and 2 Dissidia games, Vita has one game from 2001 which will be available on PS3 anyway. No God of War? Is that franchise almost dead now? MGS? Hell that the 2 Acid games aswell. 3DS had Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop DistanceVita? Not even a port of it.

Where is everything? No Vita exclusive Sly Cooper game? Infamous? Bioshock? Resident Evil? Far Cry? Naruto? Star Wars?

Do we just get ports, indie games and obscure cheap anime games?

Around the Network

Sly Cooper's on the Vita. MGS is a dying franchise with everything riding on MGS 5, Bioshock "was" in development but shit happened during Bioshock Infinite's development and thus the Vita port most likely got cancelled with all the drama. Resident Evil is probably never going to see another handheld title outside of iOS and Android, Kingdom Hearts 3D was the last title before Kingdom Hearts 3 (said Nomura I believe), God of War needs to be put on ice for a few years (Though if they make another soon, it's gonna be 4 on the PS4), ask Ubisoft for Far Cry (Assassin's Creed Liberation probably didn't meet expectations and Far Cry wouldn't either), Naruto... DBZ just got released get that instead XD, Star Wars is in disarray because of Disney (Ask EA for some portable Star Wars, though, their Vita titles most likely didn't meet expectations), Infamous would be pretty sweet and was rumoured at one point, Rockstar doesn't work on anymore than a game at a time now apparently, so I doubt they'd invest in a portable GTA again. Any other questions?

Sly Cooper's on the Vita.

Multi plat game.

MGS is a dying franchise with everything riding on MGS 5,

No it isn't the HD collection sold over a million copies itself.

Kingdom Hearts 3D was the last title before Kingdom Hearts 3 (said Nomura I believe)

At least port it to the Vita.

God of War needs to be put on ice for a few years

On home consoles perhaps but Vita needs something and that would be a notable game.

DBZ just got released get that instead XD

Also multiplat.

They don't make games because they're afraid they won't sell but if they don't make big games people won't buy the Vita to begin with.

The Vita is dead we have learned to deal with it.

darkknightkryta said:

Sly Cooper's on the Vita. MGS is a dying franchise with everything riding on MGS 5, Bioshock "was" in development but shit happened during Bioshock Infinite's development and thus the Vita port most likely got cancelled with all the drama. Resident Evil is probably never going to see another handheld title outside of iOS and Android, Kingdom Hearts 3D was the last title before Kingdom Hearts 3 (said Nomura I believe), God of War needs to be put on ice for a few years (Though if they make another soon, it's gonna be 4 on the PS4), ask Ubisoft for Far Cry (Assassin's Creed Liberation probably didn't meet expectations and Far Cry wouldn't either), Naruto... DBZ just got released get that instead XD, Star Wars is in disarray because of Disney (Ask EA for some portable Star Wars, though, their Vita titles most likely didn't meet expectations), Infamous would be pretty sweet and was rumoured at one point, Rockstar doesn't work on anymore than a game at a time now apparently, so I doubt they'd invest in a portable GTA again. Any other questions?

Whoa.

That's pretty sad.

Around the Network

Went to heaven where the 3ds is at

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

For some reason, the only one that actually surprises me is Final Fantasy. Even the 3DS got FF, but a PlayStation - with which the series is closely associated - has not. The 3DS only got Theatrhythm, but still... if they localized Type-0 for the Vita, I think I'd buy one just for that game.

I think God of War is on hold for some time now (and I think that's the right move), Ascension generated next to no hype. It's already confirmed that Santa Monica is working on a PS4 game anyway. Also, my guess is that they don't want to release a lot of Uncharted titles. They announced the fourth game, it's gonna be THE PS4's killer app and then they'll be careful with what they do next.

Sony made a lot of dumb mistakes with the Vita, it's beyond salvation, imo.

PSP launched at a time when handhelds were viable and the PlayStation brand was at an all time high. Sony had a lot of money to throw at devs to make games exclusive (or timed exclusive, in GTA's case), too.

Vita launched at a time when handhelds are dying out and the PlayStation brand isn't what it once was. Sony doesn't have anything like the resources they used to have to make games exclusive.

It's also following on from what was - for all intents and purposes - a bit of a failed experiment. Yes PSP sold 80m but software, aside from Monster Hunter and 2 GTA games, was never as big as it should have been and piracy was rampant on the thing. Third parties were probably right to be wary of it.

Throw in that iOS has exploded as a way to make really cheap games to make loads of money and that the bigger publishers are all quite struggling to make a profit anyway (see: EA; Square-Enix) and there's no chance. The last bastion of hope was Sony's own stuff but they seem not to care beyond porting stuff that they can barely get up and running on it.

In our dreams.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

They're never coming. So sad.