By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So where's the Vita's big franchise games? (GTA/MGS/FF etc)

... And the myth continues.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Zax said:
"If you're not on the go, you have no need for a handheld."

Sorry but that's just stupid. I knew a lot of people who had a PSP and nobody just took it out and about like that for train rides or to play on the bus because of fear or losing it or it getting stolen. They either played it at home or they took it on holiday.

There's a lot of people that probably do play games on the go and there's just as many that just buy it for the games exclusive to the console. The people I know who have a Vita have never taken the thing outside their house.

I'm a big fan of Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear, GTA and Final fantasy and I bought their respective games for the PSP because they could not be found on a home console.

So let me get this straight, you're going to play your PSP, Vita, etc in front of your big screen T.V. where your PS3 and PS4 are hooked up?

I do enjoy the Vita oh so more when everyone reckons it has "No Gamez" its like being in the exclusive club that can actually see reality and have fun with all the cool games it does offer :)

darkknightkryta said:
Zax said:

Sorry but that's just stupid. I knew a lot of people who had a PSP and nobody just took it out and about like that for train rides or to play on the bus because of fear or losing it or it getting stolen. They either played it at home or they took it on holiday.

There's a lot of people that probably do play games on the go and there's just as many that just buy it for the games exclusive to the console. The people I know who have a Vita have never taken the thing outside their house.

I'm a big fan of Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear, GTA and Final fantasy and I bought their respective games for the PSP because they could not be found on a home console.

So let me get this straight, you're going to play your PSP, Vita, etc in front of your big screen T.V. where your PS3 and PS4 are hooked up?

Wasn't there a study a couple years back that said people usually play their handhelds at home?

You're totally wrong about having no need for a handheld if you're not on the go, anyways. That would only be true if it weren't for the games that are available only on handhelds.

Play4Fun said:
darkknightkryta said:
Zax said:

Wasn't there a study a couple years back that said people usually play their handhelds at home?

You're totally wrong about having no need for a handheld if you're not on the go, anyways. That would only be true if it weren't for the games that are available only on handhelds.

I'm not wrong, the entire purpose of dedicated handhelds was to bring console gaming on the go.  The original gameboy was a dumping ground for nes titles.  GBA was a snes port machine, DS started off as an n64 port machine.  The 3DS's biggest early titles were ports of n64 titles.  The Game Gear was a master system based handheld with sonics and other titles that were trying their best to be close to their handheld titles, PSP started off with a slew of PS2 ports or side games.  Same with the Vita.  So how am I wrong?

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:

I'm not wrong, the entire purpose of dedicated handhelds was to bring console gaming on the go.  The original gameboy was a dumping ground for nes titles.  GBA was a snes port machine, DS started off as an n64 port machine.  The 3DS's biggest early titles were ports of n64 titles.  The Game Gear was a master system based handheld with sonics and other titles that were trying their best to be close to their handheld titles, PSP started off with a slew of PS2 ports or side games.  Same with the Vita.  So how am I wrong?

Start up a thread asking about it and add a poll.  The majority of the time, most people probably play their portables at home where they have access to another console.  That's why there is such a big issue about portables having ports of home console games, since who really cares about home console games when you're at home when playing the games.

kupomogli said:
darkknightkryta said:

Start up a thread asking about it and add a poll.  The majority of the time, most people probably play their portables at home where they have access to another console.  That's why there is such a big issue about portables having ports of home console games, since who really cares about home console games when you're at home when playing the games.

Again, my counter argument is that you take these ports on the go.  Train rides, bus rides, spare time while at school, vacations, that's why these handhelds were created.  Are you right about playing handhelds at home?  Of course, but that's not why handhelds were created in the first place.  Hell look at the 3DS, most if not all the games would be better on consoles, or were console titles.  Ocarina of Time port, Star Fox port, Kingdom Hearts is a reskinned Kingdom Hearts 2, Monster Hunter 4 is a sequel to a console series that got big by console ports, same with the Vita, same with the PSP and same for EVERY handheld created since the gameboy.

Free games > Big franchise.

Zax said:

GTA Liberty City Stories, GTA Vice City Stories, Crisis Core, Final Fantasy Type 0, Daxter, Ratchet & Clank Size Matters, God of War Chains of Olympus, God of War Ghost of Sparta, MGS Portable Ops, MGS Peace Walker, Gran Turismo, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep

How many of these were out in the first 2 years of PSP ?

darkknightkryta said:

Again, my counter argument is that you take these ports on the go.  Train rides, bus rides, spare time while at school, vacations, that's why these handhelds were created.  Are you right about playing handhelds at home?  Of course, but that's not why handhelds were created in the first place.  Hell look at the 3DS, most if not all the games would be better on consoles, or were console titles.  Ocarina of Time port, Star Fox port, Kingdom Hearts is a reskinned Kingdom Hearts 2, Monster Hunter 4 is a sequel to a console series that got big by console ports, same with the Vita, same with the PSP and same for EVERY handheld created since the gameboy.

They were created to play anywhere you want, not necessarily created to play while on the go.  As a kid I played the Gameboy on car rides when going on vacation, at a friends house, etc.  I also played the system a lot of the time when I was at home and had no access to a television. 

As I'm not a kid anymore and public transportation is almost non existant in my city, means that I have no  reason to purchase a handheld right?  If I want to play exclusives that are only on those systems, then no.  The PSP and DS have a lot of good exclusives that can't be played on consoles.  The Vita launched with multiple exclusives I was interested in, had future first party and third party exclusives I was interested in, and a list of third party developers who were on board with developing for the system(and later cancelled their support of the system.)  So yeah.  There's a reason that I still purchase portable systems and play them at home in front of my TV.

Also.  Having a big screen really doesn't mean much when comparing it to a portable.  It's all about perception.  If you have a 55" tv and sit about 10 feet away from it, then what your viewing on the portable is going to be around the same size or bigger than the TV.  You can also watch TV or leave it on for background noise while playing a portable.  The TV doesn't have to be off.

It doesn't make a difference if the games would be better on consoles.  They're not on consoles.  So what can you do?  You can purchase and play them for what they're released for.

darkknightkryta said:
Zax said:

Yes to play games that my hooked up PS3/4 do not have. Uncharted Golden Abyss, Persona 4 Golden, Killzone Mercenary etc I want to play and can only play on the Vita which I play at home.

There were countless games on the PSP I wanted to play that weren't on the PS2/3 that's why I bought it to play them like I would buy any console.