By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter on Disc-less x1 - One of the dumbest ideas ever

I agree with him. They are already invested r&d into bluray for xb1, they most likely have a multi term licensing agreement with the bluray association that cost them, and bluray is a selling point for a "home entertainment" device like the xb1.
It would cost them too much if they removed it. And if they did the price would not drop $100, hell I doubt they would drop it at all after removing it.

Around the Network

Does anybody know about the hard drive formats of each console? Are both 2.5" laptop size like last gen?
If MS removed the BR drive, putting a normal size 3.5" hd, with more GB per $ compared to laptop, would make sense.

A discless unit late in the gen? Sure. A discless Xb one-2 yes I can see that at launch. A discless sku after only a year? that's just desperation.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

shikamaru317 said:

I feel like some of you are failing to grasp the concept here. The disc-less Xbox One would be offered alongside the current bluray drive model, likely at the same price or very close to it, there's no evidence to suggest that Microsoft wouldn't drop the price of the current model alongside the new disc-less model. The disc-less model would be an option for those who already plan to go all digital this gen, as well as for those who want a smaller Xbox One. You'd basically be trading off your bluray drive for a bigger hard drive capable of holding more digital games at the same price.

Microsoft would likely not be alienating retailers by offering a disc-less model, chances are they'd set up digital store fronts with retailers (like Sony has already done with Amazon), allowing gamers to walk into their local brick and mortar retail store (or visit the retailer's website) and buy a digital game, receiving a code which can then be entered on the Xbox One to download the game. Digital games would likely see the same price drops as the physical versions, they might even be priced cheaper (Microsot recently mentioned that they are considering adjusting their digital pricing model soon). Used game sales might even still be possible, pre-DRM reversal, Microsoft had plans for a used digital trading marketplace, they've already said that they may bring it back in the future. That planned marketplace was to be set up through retailers, allowing retailers to still get their cut of used games sales, but a percentage of used game sales would now go to the developer/publisher, unlike in the current disc-based used game market.

PSPGo was also offered alongside regular PSP. It didn't harm PSP sales over all, but it also failed to lift sales. But because it really failed as a sku it tarnished the PSP brand. Discless Xb one would also not lift sales, and would run the risk of tarnishing the brand if it fails as bad as PSPGo.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Bullshit, The disc disc drive isn't worth $100.

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
Bullshit, The disc disc drive isn't worth $100.

Obviously, which is why the theory that this was a "false leak", meant to flush out an insider who was leaking, seems more plausible.

It says it could release in October so maybe both skus will be $399 by then

1tb hard drive, no disk drive-$399

500gb hard drive, disk drive-$399

If thats the case I dont see the problem, a cheap bluray player is about $50 and a 500gb hdd is about the same so its a good trade off, just depends on ur preference for digital or retail.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Well if patcher said it... It must be the greatest smartest idea ever... At least that's my take on it....

anyway I don't care about crappie discs.... And I'd much rather have 500g and a 2tb external ssd when I'll need and the price will go down.... So if I didn't had it already I would go for that solution even at 500...

and why would it mean they are greedy??? They make about 30 dollars of profit... Let say a 1tb drive + redesign - disc drive save them 10-20 more bucks it would mean they cut production cost of 50 to 60 bucks over a year.. Which is nothing impressive and completely achievable.... Almost every consumer electronic (PC, tv, smartphones etc) drop price way faster than that....

and fuck retailers...they are good for one thing only... Creating jobs and if it wasn't for that, they'd deserve to die a slow death...

FlamingWeazel said:
Talal said:
More options are always good imo.

But the choice to go all digital is already there...all this is doing is taking thing away for the purpose to try and sell to a niche amount of people.

The choice to buy a $400 X1 with 1TB is not there ;)

I still don't see why adding another SKU is taking anything away. Did the PSPGo take anything away from the PSP? All it did was hurting the brand.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The world isn't ready for such a system, they would just restrict their market by making a discless version. Also, there's no way a blu-ray drive component cost $100 anymore

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018