By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii to Wii U VC transfer question

DarkNight_DS said:
_crazy_man_ said:
DarkNight_DS said:
So why does Nintendo charge 1$ to upgrade NES games and 1.50$ to upgrade SNES games for? What's upgraded?

Off-TV play.

Customizable controls.

Miiverse Compatability + Screenshots.

Restore Points (basically a free save point)

Not worth a 1-1.50$.  This should be free.

This conversation was had over a year ago. If you don't think those features are worth the price, you have the right to not pay for them and continue playing your VC games through Wii mode.

Around the Network

Cause $1-1.50 is such a huge price to pay. : /

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

_crazy_man_ said:

Cause $1-1.50 is such a huge price to pay. : /

I have maybe 100 VC games.  So yes it us a HUGE price to pay.  

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

the_dengle said:
DarkNight_DS said:
_crazy_man_ said:
DarkNight_DS said:
So why does Nintendo charge 1$ to upgrade NES games and 1.50$ to upgrade SNES games for? What's upgraded?

Off-TV play.

Customizable controls.

Miiverse Compatability + Screenshots.

Restore Points (basically a free save point)

Not worth a 1-1.50$.  This should be free.

This conversation was had over a year ago. If you don't think those features are worth the price, you have the right to not pay for them and continue playing your VC games through Wii mode.

The average consumer is never going to transfer their games to the Wii U.  It's just not consumer friendly enough.  The average consumer who does figure out how to do it has no clue why Nintendo wants extra money in the e-shop for the game they own already.  There is no clear communication as to what your money gets.  It's too complicated!  This seems to be a trend with the Wii U.  The Wii was pretty much fool proof for the consumer.  The Wii U is just too complicated.  

I read blogs on Nintendo every day and I didn't know the answer to the questions I asked on here and it seems like a lot of other people have no clue either.  Considering my last post on here was back in 2009 before 2 weeks ago.  I did not participate in your earlier conversation.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Putting wii games directly on wiiu mode would problably open vunerabilitity from the wii itself to wiiu system (areadly did it, actually), so there is that. But i agree that they are being cheap.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Around the Network

Nintendo suposedly had no link of your digital purchases (although they do appear on your Nintendo Club account).

So this difficulty you are experiencing now (I still have to do my transfer), is something that will be much more easier next generation, or at least that is what it seems going by Nintendo's recent comments. So whenever we are stop being treated hardware wise and instead go into an account based system, then you will easily transfer titles between your hardware.

Nintendo is so slow sometimes, this change should have happened at the beginning of the generation... Next step after the purchases are linked to your account, you should give the option to share them to X number of hardware. Now Nintendo needs to define X, because currently it only seems to be 1 console and 1 handheld. Baby-steps.

EDIT: To be able to do your transfer you need the VC to be released on the eShop. So you can't update the 100 in one go, they'll "nicely" trickle out the releases for you, and remember that not all of Wii's VC platforms are available.

Since you've been so long out of the loop, here are some related threads I made:

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

The music Nintendo plays on their customer service line is awesome...

I opened a ticket with Nintendo to discuss my collection of VC games and the costs associated with "upgrading" the license's to Wii U licenses.  Their customer support people are always so nice.