By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Generation 9 is already won for Nintendo

ListerOfSmeg said:
padib said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Oh didn't know that, even so I'd say making a powerhouse console on par with PS5/X2 would be a better option.  Have the portable with the console gimmick if they really want, but let it be OPTIONAL and not take away resources from the console like the tablet did with the Wii U.

How would that make it a better option business-wise? Is it helping them keep costs down? Would it allow them to unify the consoles?

Whatever Nintendo does they are against it and its always the wrong way. No matter what some people cannot put their hate for Nintendo aside.

Now had this been a Sony announcement it would have been exactly what was needed and would justify blind loyalty to them. You will learn in time that some members cannot be reasoned with. They simply see the name Nintendo and hate it. Even when you proved him wrong, he simply changed his stance so he could continue to say what they were doing was wrong.

Didn't they (Sony) already technically do this with licensing Unity and it having a "make Console X version" button?

I'm curious to see the route Nintendo goes down with this unified platform stuff. I love my Vita because of things like cross save and cross play (and most definitely cross buy) Nintendo could really be onto a winner if they basically made it so that everything was like that.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
padib said:
Soundwave said:

It doesn't really change the more fundamental problem that Nintendo has -- a lot of people simply don't care for the same Nintendo franchises, so just doubling up the number of Mario/Zelda/Pokemon games doesn't neccessarily create great appeal. 

Double the game library doesn't neccessarily mean double the audience. 

So, it should be clear that Nintendo will now have more breathing room to reduce duplication of use in IPs (1 HH Mario, 1 home console mario now becomes 1 Mario) in order to diversify.

The fact is even if they do this, they are never going to appeal to majority of the console buyer-base which gravitates primarily towards violent action games and sports titles. Sorry but that's just the truth, Nintendo family-friendly schtick just doesn't cut it for a lot of people outside of short bursts. 

I enjoy Nintendo franchises, but I'm also not naive enough to ignore the sales charts and presume I'm the majority voice of this industry.

So with these announcements would it be a safe bet to think that Nintendo plans on starting the 9th generation a lot earlier than people expect?

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Generation 9 is already won for Nintendo, if they start it soon... because Microsoft and Sony would skip it.
Wii U2 = 2015-2020, PS4 = 2013-2020, XBO = 2013-2020

After that they could start the 10th generation in 2020 or 2021 together with PS5, Xbox Two and Wii U3 ;)

padib said:
Hibern81 said:
So with these announcements would it be a safe bet to think that Nintendo plans on starting the 9th generation a lot earlier than people expect?

I think so! If the handheld becomes part of a unified platform, de facto the home console is part of a unified platform that starts when the next handheld is released. And since handhelds gen cycles are out of phase, early by 2 years over home consoles gen cycles, then yes gen 9 starts sooner than ever before.

I remember hearing back in 2011 right after the Wii U was officially announced that it was going to be a stop gap console. Do you think Nintendo had this mind all along, and will the Wii U benefit from this integration or will we see a new home console sooner as well? 

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:

If Nintendo merges their portable and home console what does that mean for third parties?  Sounds like they are gonna be pushing them away even more since third parties would have to make their games run on both.

3rd parties are starting to become a joke anyway. The way the industry is going only a handful will even be making games of quality that aren't yearly franchises.

If anything the industry is in DIRE need of indie developers blooming into success.

This will sound fanboyish, but nintendo does not have this problem. quality of 3rd party games are going down, quality of nintendo games are going up. my statement is irrelevant to the sales of hardware, shareholders, and all that business talk, im strictly speaking about software quality, which is what we gamers care about, that pushes us to spend our $ on said software.

just like many 3rd party mega-boomming games before i.e. rock band, guitar hero, etc many things fade away, but nintendos franchises havent.

Eventually, COD, Battlefield, Assassins Creed, these series will fade away, so the question is what will these companies do when this happens?

IMO i dont believe they have what it takes. for example, with ubisoft, Gen before, Prince of persia was big, then they moved to assassins creed, which worked, but will watch dogs? looks promising, but I'm not sure, but is watch dogs able to be the new POP / AC of this new gen? time will tell

supernihilist said:
or it could go completely the oposite...who knows...the market is a lil bitch and in such a volatile environment things should not be taken for granted

Thanks for this. It's perfect! 

FlamingWeazel said:
Haha a joke thread.

I've had a good chuckle tonight. I honestly can't tell when people are being sarcastic sometimes. hehe

NintendoPie said:
supernihilist said:
or it could go completely the oposite...who knows...the market is a lil bitch and in such a volatile environment things should not be taken for granted

Thanks for this. It's perfect! 

Nintendo wins