By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Generation 9 is already won for Nintendo

I just don't see it. Even of Nintendo drops a new system before the halfway mark of the two current "next-gen" consoles it will be more expensive and competing with capable mature consoles that have already had decent price drops and high demand.

If anything the next Nintendo console will be a mild success in that case.

Now if they continue to ride out the WiiU disaster until a year or two before the other two bigs drop their new consoles that might be a different story. But, then they'll be in the same predicament as they were with the WiiU, people holding off to see what MS and/or Sony are pushing out.

I really feel Nintendo is in a no win situation right now. But hey, things can change and Nintendo might drop some mind melting hardware on us and change the whole game.

Around the Network
padib said:
-CraZed- said:
I just don't see it. Even of Nintendo drops a new system before the halfway mark of the two current "next-gen" consoles it will be more expensive and competing with capable mature consoles that have already had decent price drops and high demand.

If anything the next Nintendo console will be a mild success in that case.

Now if they continue to ride out the WiiU disaster until a year or two before the other two bigs drop their new consoles that might be a different story. But, then they'll be in the same predicament as they were with the WiiU, people holding off to see what MS and/or Sony are pushing out.

I really feel Nintendo is in a no win situation right now. But hey, things can change and Nintendo might drop some mind melting hardware on us and change the whole game.

Nintendo doesn't really compete with Sony and Microsoft.

I'm sorry but you are wrong. Unless you mean they are no longer in the same league as MS and Sony at this point.

They sell video game consoles and video games do they not? Sony and MS also sell video game consoles and video games do they not? Then they are competing directly.

Also, they are a business looking to make money just like every other company and therefore Nintendo competes with ANY other for profit business for consumers' disposable income. Doubly so with regards to MS and Sony's video game divisions.

Nah, not gonna happen.

Oh and don't get mad and give me an angry reply. This is your opinion, i don't share it.

padib said:
-CraZed- said:

I'm sorry but you are wrong. Unless you mean they are no longer in the same league as MS and Sony at this point.

They sell video game consoles and video games do they not? Sony and MS also sell video game consoles and video games do they not? Then they are competing directly.

Also, they are a business looking to make money just like every other company and therefore Nintendo competes with ANY other for profit business for consumers' disposable income. Doubly so with regards to MS and Sony's video game divisions.

Am I? @bold. Name it what you want to, they don't fight for the same audience.

@underlined. They sell video game consoles, but not to the same audience.

@italics. Sure, they also compete with Hagen, the animal food company.

So which audience do I belong to? I play Nintendo games, PlayStation games, Xbox games and PC games. They most certainly are competing for my gaming dollar. And I know I am not alone. 

Do you really believe that out of those 100 million Wii owners that more than half of them didn't buy any other home console? Do you really believe that those of us who grew up on Nintendo don't buy a Sony or MS console?

And yes indirectly they compete with dog food companies as most people don't have unlimited funds. Though I was willing to stop at disposable income to make it less absurd.

I sure hope Nintendo doesn't take that view (that they don't compete with PS or XB) because if they do then there are more dark days ahead for Iwata and co.

padib said:
-CraZed- said:

So which audience do I belong to? I play Nintendo games, PlayStation games, Xbox games and PC games. They most certainly are competing for my gaming dollar. And I know I am not alone. 

Do you really believe that out of those 100 million Wii owners that more than half of them didn't buy any other home console? Do you really believe that those of us who grew up on Nintendo don't buy a Sony or MS console?

And yes indirectly they compete with dog food companies as most people don't have unlimited funds. Though I was willing to stop at disposable income to make it less absurd.

I sure hope Nintendo doesn't take that view (that they don't compete with PS or XB) because if they do then there are more dark days ahead for Iwata and co.

@bold. You are part of an intersect of audiences who like both offerings. The part of you that likes Nintendo games was not compelled by the U. See, it's not complex.

@2. I never said that. There is an intersect, but Nintendo compels its customers by its own merits, not by competing with Sony or MS' offerings. Their content fails or succeeds depending on its delivery, not depending on Sony or MS'.

@3. Don't expect me to agree with you here. You're reaching way too far.

@4. They own that view. They have adopted the blue ocean strategy for a reason, if you want I can explain it to you.

I'm not reaching at all. Nintendo might be looking for its Blue Ocean but it isn't on an island. They are competing for yours, mine and everyone elses disposable spending cash. It's an irrefutable fact.

I know all about their Blue Ocean strategy and that is why they are moving on to health monitoring or whatever they recently discussed at their corporate meeting but I think you misunderstand the Blue Ocean concept as a whole.

Blue Ocean Strategy suggests that an organization should create new demand in an uncontested market space, or a "Blue Ocean", rather than compete head-to-head with other suppliers in an existing industry.

Sony and MS are both suppliers in an exsisting industry.

If Nintendo is deciding to move on and drop the console biz then you might have a point but right now they are just wading in murky waters.

Around the Network
padib said:
-CraZed- said:

Am I? @bold. Name it what you want to, they don't fight for the same audience.

@underlined. They sell video game consoles, but not to the same audience.

@italics. Sure, they also compete with Hagen, the animal food company.

I'll chime in on the main topic later - which is a fun one - but as far as not selling to the same audience, I strongly disagree. Consumers definitely cross shop along the Wal-Mart game console aisle,  and Sony and MS products are major competitors for Nintendo. I can guarantee that many, many potential Wii U buyers have considered the system in the past year, but chose an Xbox or PlayStation product instead due to games, image or friend influence. 

Sounds awesome, I would love to get to that utopian world haha. Nah I'll just be happy seeing Nintendo still making home consoles the next generation.

Gaming on:

PC:
Asus Z87-A  |  i7 4770K  |  MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
G. Skill Ripjaws X Series 32 GB DDR3 2133 mhz  |  WD Blue 1TB SSD & WD Blue HDD 1TB

Consoles:
WiiU
Switch (Docked)
PS 3 / 4

Handhelds:
New 3ds XL
Switch (Portable Mode ;P )

padib said:
-CraZed- said:

I'm not reaching at all. Nintendo might be looking for its Blue Ocean but it isn't on an island. They are competing for yours, mine and everyone elses disposable spending cash. It's an irrefutable fact.

I know all about their Blue Ocean strategy and that is why they are moving on to health monitoring or whatever they recently discussed at their corporate meeting but I think you misunderstand the Blue Ocean concept as a whole.

Blue Ocean Strategy suggests that an organization should create new demand in an uncontested market space, or a "Blue Ocean", rather than compete head-to-head with other suppliers in an existing industry.

Sony and MS are both suppliers in an exsisting industry.

If Nintendo is deciding to move on and drop the console biz then you might have a point but right now they are just wading in murky waters.

I understand your point about competing for disposable income, and that is true.

However, let me show you what I mean by they are not competing.

For example, if Nintendo makes you an offering with good games and a good price (think of your 5 favorite Nintendo franchises and a 200$ pricetag), would you restrain from buying it even if you are prospecting a PS4 and your favorite games on that platform? My guess is you would buy both.

Now, turn to the U. Are you not buying it? Why?

My guess is that it is just not catering to your tastes effectively enough. Am I right?

It doesn't discredit your point which is true, they compete at a basic level (they all are manufacturers). When I said they don't compete, it was an exaggeration to stress a point and I meant they are simply not head to head like Sony is with MS. That competition is non-existent.

To further demonstrate my idea, if GTAVI is announced to come out exclusively on the PS4, how do you think that will affect the sales projections of the X1? Now how will it affect tthe projections of the WiiU?

See what I mean?

Now if Nintendo fought for GTAVI exclusivity (which would obviously never happen, but the example stands), then you would know that Nintendo was seriously competing against Sony and MS.

Your last point is interesting here. If you are saying Nintendo just doesn't compete as in they are noncompetitive in nature you have a point there. But, make no mistake they are in competition whether they choose to be or not and it very well may be that due to their lack of wanting to actually compete within the space they occupy with Sony and MS is why they are in such a dire place with the Wii U.

The Blue Ocean strategy does not include burying your head in the sandy beach while other companies begin fishing your waters from what I have read. Nintendo needs to either change it current strategies (go third party or put out a more coherent console product) or pull up anchors and sail on to that other Blue Ocean outside the console market.

padib said:
-CraZed- said:

Your last point is interesting here. If you are saying Nintendo just doesn't compete as in they are noncompetitive in nature you have a point there. But, make no mistake they are in competition whether they choose to be or not and it very well may be that due to their lack of wanting to actually compete within the space they occupy with Sony and MS is why they are in such a dire place with the Wii U.

The Blue Ocean strategy does not include burying your head in the sandy beach while other companies begin fishing your waters from what I have read. Nintendo needs to either change it current strategies (go third party or put out a more coherent console product) or pull up anchors and sail on to that other Blue Ocean outside the console market.

That's all true, but the thing you need to remember about Nintendo is that they are, for now, really incapable of competing with Sony and MS properly on their turfs. Money they would spend in that objective, or any strategic decision they may make in that direction may have terrible ROI (return on investment). That's why I often say that if they decide to compete, they have to be very ready and very aggressive, and it would be a long-term goal that would be very loss-leading until they gain the ground they would need. For now, imho it's really not feasible for them.

Your second point is the most interesting, that their blue ocean strategy within the market is their cause for the dire place with the WiiU. The truth is that the market the WiiU is now targeting is a money-making market. The Wii, DS, mobile devices, NES and now the 3DS all show that it's a profitable market. So that must mean that the WiiU is in dire straights not due to the profitability of the market, but due to something else.

I submit that the reason it is in dire straights is due to the execution of their delivery of the U: poor marketing, poor branding, a lack of games and a high price.

That's why, when I made OP, it was clear for me that if Nintendo unites its platforms, it has the opportunity to fix almost all of these prices and start pumping out profits from the blue ocean as they were very capable of doing last generation.

And that sucks. Nintendo is one of the reasons that after the video game crash gaming got as big as it has today. But if they aren't going to compete then Isay a drastic change is needed if they are to continue to make video games and for me that is going third party as they are really a content creation company. They just put out hardware to realize that content which right now other than the handheld market they are floundering.

And truly I wish people werent so resistant to Nintendo bowing out of the home console market and just supporting their handhelds while developing games on the other more successful platforms. I just don't understand why people wouldn't want to see Nintendo's wonderful ips out for more people to play. They would sell very well on both Sony and MS consoles.

I also think its just too late to attempt to unify their two hardware lines. It will most likely be tacked on and not go anywhere. Besides they have other issues like getting that damned eShop in line and expanding their offerings on the virtual console. We've been emulating NES,SNES, N64, GC titles on PC and mobile devices for years while Nintendo has missed out on all that revenue and even after they 'got it' they still didn't really get it.

But I agree on the marketing etc for the WiiU but I would add the residual effect of the Wii's failures had something to do with it as well.

Good debate. Look forward to another any time. :)

I'm not entirely convinced, nor Nintendo themselves know what Wii U and its gamepad actually is. Otherwise, we'd already seen something, anything beyond Nintendoland. What the hell happened to NFC?